Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 01:56 PM

113 posts, read 425,635 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a low cost way locally here in Huntsville to get dental work done? My wife is in need of getting her remaining teeth pulled/extracted and getting dentures. We have insurance(Delta Dental) that covers 50% of the cost up to a maximum of $1500 and the new plan that goes into effect April 1(also Delta Dental) covers us at 80% up to $2500 maximum. My concern is we don't have tons of money to spend, I have no credit cards(yay, but results in a low credit score due to past problems), and I know it will cost a pretty penny to get done. I had heard before that local medical schools might be looking for people to "practice" on at reduced rates, but I have not found any resources to call on this. Does anyone know of a local dentist that is reasonably priced? Has anyone else had any experience with Delta Dental, good or bad??? Does anyone know how to find out about dental schools that need patients??? I really appreciate any info ya'll can give me as we have not been to a dentist in years, and yes, I know how bad that is to say. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 05:27 PM

13 posts, read 17,727 times
The dental school is actually in Birmingham. There will be no shortage of people there looking for patients.

UAB - School of Dentistry - Patients

Old 02-24-2013, 06:06 PM

113 posts, read 425,635 times
Thank you very much!!! Will check it out Monday!!! I could not find a link to that page!!! I appreciate it greatly!!!

Old 02-24-2013, 07:32 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,091,284 times
UAB - Dental Clinic

You'll usually get charged $75.00 for the immediate appointment but, it is applied toward your bill. The costs at UAB are generally half of what you would pay at a regular local dentist.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:28 AM

23,548 posts, read 70,021,272 times
The extractions shouldn't be terribly expensive unless oral surgery is involved. I would strongly advise AGAINST going to Birmingham to the dental school. Consider that after extractions she may need to be in a supportive environment quickly. That drive to B'ham is at least 90 minutes down, then the procedure, then 90 minutes back. Consider that the dental school rates are not significantly less and the students are not fully trained (although they are supervised). Consider the costs of driving to B'ham and back. Consider that there are reports of significant waits for patients. IMO, you would be much better off going local and getting a payment plan from the dentist.

I know that in Limestone County, there is a dental practice that is set up to serve the children of low income families, run or supported in some way by the health department. Your area likely has something similar.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:46 AM

308 posts, read 524,821 times
I had all my teeth pulled when I was 26 (in 1976). That was in Belgium at the time.
I was sick and tired of having tooth pain and one day said enough, got them all pulled and replaced by dentures.
Best thing I ever did. Never tooth pain again, dentures fitted perfect all those years.
Last year I decided to get a new set of dentures due to wear mostly on the upper denture.
Because of the absolutly idiotic prices that are charged by some/most dentists, I went to "affordable dentures" next to I565 http://www.affordabledentures.com/im...07023page1.gif

This place gives a perfect service and the prices are very reasonable.
Of course in my case there was nothing to pull anymore, but from what I learned from their other patients, they were also very happy with them.

When I see how much money people are wasting on their own teeth, all I can say is stop those rip offs and get dentures.
Between 1976 and last year, no dentist has ever made one penny on my.
If I was to do it all over, I would have pulled my teeth at 21 instead of waiting till I was 26, that would have been 5 years less of toothpain.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:52 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,728,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAL50 View Post
I had all my teeth pulled when I was 26 (in 1976). That was in Belgium at the time.
I was sick and tired of having tooth pain and one day said enough, got them all pulled and replaced by dentures.
Best thing I ever did. Never tooth pain again, dentures fitted perfect all those years.
Last year I decided to get a new set of dentures due to wear mostly on the upper denture.
Because of the absolutly idiotic prices that are charged by some/most dentists, I went to "affordable dentures" next to I565 http://www.affordabledentures.com/im...07023page1.gif

Of course in my case there was nothing to pull anymore, but from what I learned from their other patients, they were also very happy with them.

When I see how much money people are wasting on their own teeth, all I can say is stop those rip offs and get dentures.
If I was to do it all over, I would have pulled my teeth at 21 instead of waiting till I was 26, that would have been 5 years less of toothpain.

I don't know if I would necessarily advocate that people get rid of their teeth to save money.

I'm glad that it worked out for you, and that you are happy with your decision.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:33 PM

23,548 posts, read 70,021,272 times
For some people, it works. My father had recurring sinus infections and part of his cure was getting all his teeth removed. One person who used to work for me had a genetic defect and "chalk" teeth that were weak and constant problems. She needed to get hers all pulled, but didn't have the money. While my teeth were a problem earlier on, I haven't had a new cavity in well over a decade. We are all different.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:02 PM

13 posts, read 17,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAL50 View Post

Quite possibly the worst advice you could give someone in their 20's.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,256 times
Wink time

Though the cost is considerately low at the school, you may want to schedule free days for the visits, it is very time consuming. VERY, not to mention parking alone takes an average about half hour each time you go. My experience wasnt very pleasant, but no matter where you go its not gonna be a breeze teeth never is. You will not keep same student if you are getting dentures as they come and go quickly. Some can handle people well and some freak out at the first disappointment you establish with something, and there is one instructor that has anger issues and wont say his name but he scares the bagibbies out of me and actually physically hurt me one day out of his anger. The school took him off my case though and well im not a high risk of suing as well I dont enjoy court for no reason. lol.....You can remain quiet and not say a word and some students still think you are too picky... dont get that as you are suppose to speak up cause its your mouth. In my personal experience though for some of the work done they do not give enough pain medication to take home cause you cant call to get refills if you are dying in pain.

I had a total of 19 teeth pulled in one day, I do not I repeat DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT.... I was in so much horrific pain after that lasted for almost a week straight and pain meds did not help at all. Though my case is done now and Im so entirely thankful for the school. I do not recommend anyone to ever get that many teeth taken out at once especially if they are a mess before hand and infections, Please get them put you antibiotics first hand before the removal cause the pain is unbareable otherwise. And Make sure you ask all the questions, especially about dentures, cause though commercials make dentures sound like a wonderful thing they are not. gums get soar, often. After the removal of the teeth all dentist put out the same day dentures gig, Those will not fit right, they arent made to they are only a bandaid in helping your mouth heal. You can expect to live off soft liquids and pudding for about two months, Its been well over a year now and I still have not got permanent dentures yet, but you wont either they do not give you real dentures for a year because your gums will shrink and I mean alot... make sure to buy a mouth guard to learn to sleep with as your jaws will get to aching cause the bones are closing in position not meant to, and I hate the glue. I despise the glues, they do hold the large dentures in place but take about an hour to get the glue off your gums and roof of your mouth... During the process of healing its likely you may encounter spurs, which is bones pieces coming out of your gum, your gums will get so soar you will start poking around to figure out why and you will feel the splinter like bones, note, if you can pull it out, this will feel so much better after. In my personal opinion, GET THE IMPLANTS right off the bat.... for dentures, especially if you like me cant stand that covering the roof of your mouth, of course I have sinus drainage badly so it gags me like crazy cause the plate covering the roof of mouth fills up and I continuously have to clean it, with implants you will not have that, plus implants your teeth wont fly out your mouth. Hope this helps, with some, as far as pricing... You cant beat them/.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area