Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 11:46 PM

90 posts, read 213,275 times

Advertisements

I am curious to know other people whose businesses have or will be affected by the recent sequestration. I clean homes as a business and have already lost some clients in just a matter of days. What ramifications do you believe the sequestration/ furloughs will have on the Tennessee Valley for restaurants, small businesses such as lawn care, beauty salons, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 04:57 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,245,719 times
I think it will be most of your "services" type businesses as people are in wait and see mode. Sequestration was played out as an "end of the world" scenario that rivaled Y2K....I think many are just sitting in conservative mode. People may opt to take care of their own housecleaning, lawn, etc to save some money.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:55 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,268,461 times
Not bragging or anything.

But I have actually had the opposite problem. For some reason my business exploded this week. I am summer time busy and all of the clients that have called me this week are Defense or Government related jobs. Now these are all older established personnel, but I was expecting clients to drop off a cliff.

I hope people still want their homes cleaned and lawns mowed.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:08 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,733,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post
Not bragging or anything.

But I have actually had the opposite problem. For some reason my business exploded this week. I am summer time busy and all of the clients that have called me this week are Defense or Government related jobs. Now these are all older established personnel, but I was expecting clients to drop off a cliff.

I hope people still want their homes cleaned and lawns mowed.
Good for you Dave!

Old 03-06-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacita82 View Post
I am curious to know other people whose businesses have or will be affected by the recent sequestration. I clean homes as a business and have already lost some clients in just a matter of days. What ramifications do you believe the sequestration/ furloughs will have on the Tennessee Valley for restaurants, small businesses such as lawn care, beauty salons, etc.?
I'm sorry to hear that! I hope that this doesn't hurt you for too long.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:16 AM

No. I definitely don't think that it's an end of the world scenario. I think it's obviously having many people budget their finances a whole lot better. For my own personal situation, I'm sorta relieved it happened now rather than later. Now they are quite a bit of people whose jobs have been furloughed, so they won't even have the opportunity of at least having reduced hours, their jobs are gone.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
I'm sorry to hear that! I hope that this doesn't hurt you for too long.
Thanks Brian for the concern. We're good at bouncing back asap. Being down is not an option.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:39 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,909,188 times
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think it is fair to point out that the worse has yet to come.

Once the budget cuts begin, sequestration or not, and it is going to happen; the primes & support contractors will be in a world of hurt as programs get canceled. It does not take a rocket scientist to realize that the Government is not going to meet its budget cut targets with a simple furlough one day per week for 22 weeks. 90% of cuts will come from programs cancellation.

There is a sunami coming. Brace yourself. When Army sneezes, Huntsville is going to catch a cold.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think it is fair to point out that the worse has yet to come.

Once the budget cuts begin, sequestration or not, and it is going to happen; the primes & support contractors will be in a world of hurt as programs get canceled. It does not take a rocket scientist to realize that the Government is not going to meet its budget cut targets with a simple furlough one day per week for 22 weeks. 90% of cuts will come from programs cancellation.

There is a sunami coming. Brace yourself. When Army sneezes, Huntsville is going to catch a cold.
I agree with this 125%. It is one thing that always concerned me with Huntsville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (please forgive typos)

Old 03-06-2013, 04:59 PM

137 posts, read 230,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacita82 View Post
No. I definitely don't think that it's an end of the world scenario. I think it's obviously having many people budget their finances a whole lot better.
Try telling that to the people, mostly contractors at this point, who have already been let go or have been given notice. Some will bounce back better than others, but to them, I'm sure life is looking pretty darn grim. Like it was mentioned earlier, the real pain hasn't even come close to starting. Once April rolls around, the pain will start to increase. As the months go along like this, with most government employess with 20% money less to spend, the pain will become much more evident. Capitalism doesnt work too well if no one is spending money. How painful will it get? We can only guess, but to those facing layoffs in their immediate future and no prospective jobs appearing ahead, they are the truly hurt ones. I really hope this all turns out to be that big a deal, and all who have been laid off can find new jobs quick, but I kinda dought it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area