Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 AM

6 posts, read 6,866 times

Advertisements

would like to know what areas around huntsville are safe, kid friendly with good schools, also what price to expect for a home rental with at least 5 bed. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 08:53 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times
Your best bet for kid friendly and good schools will be the city of Madison (which is in the same county as Huntsville) and South and South East Huntsville to include Jones Valley and Hampton Cove areas.

Madison is pretty much the premiere school district in the entire state, definitely in North Alabama.

Madison, AL - Official Website
Madison City Schools :: Welcome to Madison City Schools!

As for rentals, that's not my expertise, but there are several realtors who are regulars here that can help you. The best site to go to though is Valley MLS. You can search for rentals there.

http://www.valleymls.com

The Huntsville/Madison area is a great place for families, not too big, not too small. We are kind of a in a glass bubble compared to the rest of Alabama. Very much a melting pot here. An hour and half from both Nashville and Birmingham and 3.5 hours from Atlanta.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:55 AM

468 posts, read 907,336 times
I would highly recommend valleymls.com.

When we moved to the area almost 5 years ago - we used this to search the area from the west coast.
Once we found 5 that we liked, we made appointments - and flew and visited all 5. We didn't know anyone so we always felt working with a realtor who represented the owner of the house - gave the transaction more objectivity and professionalism.

Rent out for the first year or two and get to know the area. We are glad we did.

As far as areas, we lived in Madison. I would highly recommend Madison as far as renting. Huntsville is OK too but there are some areas that are not the best. There are far less 'bad areas' in Madison.

For the record, I don't live in Madison anymore. I live in Huntsville but in a nicer area.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:25 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Feel free to ask here if you are unsure of an area... There are many options available depending on your budget. There are a lot of areas around Huntsville too including Decatur and Athens. The main thing to consider would be traffic which compared to some places is nil but it can take more time to get to work.

I am not sure when they changed but Valleymls is not showing any rentals now.

Good Luck.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:25 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Feel free to ask here if you are unsure of an area... There are many options available depending on your budget. There are a lot of areas around Huntsville too including Decatur and Athens. The main thing to consider would be traffic which compared to some places is nil but it can take more time to get to work.

I am not sure when they changed but Valleymls is not showing any rentals now.

Good Luck.

Nothing's changed, rentals are up on Valley....you have to select "rental" from the drop down menu, it defaults to "residential" which is homes for sale.

And PLEASE be careful on sites like Craigslist.....scammers are "scrapping" our MLS data and listing properties on Craiglist that are NOT for rent. A few weeks ago someone called from one of our listings and there were 4 cars of people out wandering around it because they thought it was for rent at a VERY cheap price per month.....we had to put a SIGN on the door letting people know the property WAS NOT for rent, because every time we would get the Craigslist listing removed, another one would pop up. Its a HUGE problem in our area right now.

Last edited by LCTMadison; 04-16-2013 at 07:47 AM..

Old 04-17-2013, 05:12 PM

956 posts, read 2,500,870 times
NJ ma of four, I would begin my search at GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community It's a great place to read reviews from parents and see the school ratings.

Madison just survived a school rezoning, so all school zones should be current while you are searching. Huntsville schools are just beginning their rezoning...keep that in mind if a particular school is important to you. What may be zoned for one school now could change.

If you don't have any luck on Valley MLS, I would call a property manager and see what they have.
Valerie Miles with Dawson Realty is wonderful. Contact info is: 256-755-1651 Michael Rosenblum is another great property manager. Contact info is: 256-468-0709

Best of luck on your new adventure!

Old 04-18-2013, 09:51 AM

468 posts, read 907,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_G View Post
NJ ma of four, I would begin my search at GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community It's a great place to read reviews from parents and see the school ratings.

Madison just survived a school rezoning, so all school zones should be current while you are searching. Huntsville schools are just beginning their rezoning...keep that in mind if a particular school is important to you. What may be zoned for one school now could change.

If you don't have any luck on Valley MLS, I would call a property manager and see what they have.
Valerie Miles with Dawson Realty is wonderful. Contact info is: 256-755-1651 Michael Rosenblum is another great property manager. Contact info is: 256-468-0709

Best of luck on your new adventure!
Funny --- I actually worked with both of them - as a customer (years apart separately).
They are both very fair and will treat you well.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:35 PM

956 posts, read 2,500,870 times
RatSnake: Good to know! All of my clients speak very highly of them both Thanks for sharing that!

Old 04-23-2013, 08:27 AM

329 posts, read 512,017 times
Judging by your name, you are from or currently live in the Garden State (NJ)?

If so:

-Your car insurance will be MUCH lower.
-No jughandles
-Much lower property taxes
-You will get taxed on clothes and food
-No Piney Power (south Jersey thing)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area