Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 05:19 PM

86 posts, read 243,245 times

Advertisements

We lived in Madison, WI for many years. We used to say "If only this great city could be dragged down south a bit it would be perfect!" Well, now we're moving to the Huntsville, AL area.

Our son will be going to the University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa in the Fall. He hopes to be a dentist so we figured moving in state could financially help us a bit. We work from home for ourselves so our location is WIDE OPEN, HOWEVER, we do have a ten year old son who we would like to live in a nice area with good schools. I know everyone will probably say Madison -- Bob Jones and James Clemens schools, but we want to know if there are any other options. Is the east side more prettier then the west with the rolling hills? If you worked from home (commute is not an issue) where would you live in the Huntsville area?

Our sons didn't want to live too far apart so we thought the Huntsville area would be great choice for us... just a few hours away.

Thanks for all your help!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 07:15 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,478,441 times
Default I live in Madison, so I initially will say ... Madison

But it really depends on what conveniences you want. Madison is very convenient to the airport, Cummings Research Park, and Redstone Arsenal (where both NASA and the Army are located). And many of the private contractors who support the two government agencies are in the Research Park and near/at the airport. And I-565 makes for an easy trip to downtown Huntsville, if you ever need to go there (Civic Center, Art Museum, etc.). It's also much closer to I-65 for north/south travel all the way from the coast to the Great Lakes.

But if you don't need to do any of those things, then Hampton Cove is nice. True, you have a nice view of the mountains/rolling hills. There is a Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail course there ... two 18 hole championship courses, plus an 18 hole Par 3 course. And the area is developing to support Hampton Cove with various businesses. There are also are other neighborhoods on the east/southeast side of Huntsville, "over the mountain", and most are quite nice, and some are rather pricey.

Madison too has its share of really nice neighborhoods. Edgewater is one of those (where I live). It's actually several subdivisions built around a nice lake, has a clubhouse, tennis courts, etc. And there are also apartments both in the Edgewater neighborhood, and in the area.

About the only caution I would give would be to stay away from northwest Huntsville, and the inner areas nearer to downtown. You really can't go wrong with Madison or Hampton Cove. Actually, Madison is a city unto itself (around 45,000) with many subdivisions, whereas Hampton Cove, while pretty large, is not a town at all, but really just a conglomerate of several subdivisions. Addresses there are "Hampton Cove, AL" but it's not an incorporated town.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:22 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,837,174 times
Default Madison Wi and Huntsville AL

Hello ! We lived in Madison WI ( actually Middleton ) for about 6 years and then twice in the Madison, AL and Huntsville , AL. Both are great areas and have so many positives. Also different.

Both Madison, AL and Huntsville, AL are really good areas to live and raise kids. Both have lots of family things to be involved in. You will definitely find more diversity in the area than you did in Madison, WI. On the other hand, you will miss the great emphasis on environmental responsibility up there. There is a great organization here called the Land Trust that has helped put aside land for green space and we really enjoyed exploring and hiking it all when we lived in Huntsville.

We also really like both Madison Al and Huntsville. I know the schools in Madison are really really good. Pretty much all of them. In Huntsville, you will have to make sure you are in certain districts to get the better schools. We personally liked being on the Huntsville side a little better because of the terrain but we weren't concerned with schools. We loved the mountains and the TN River. Madison has some beautiful neighborhoods and is a little flatter landwise. You will enjoy being able to get an all brick home down here.
We explored all of WI when we lived there and loved it all. Be sure and do the same in AL. There is much to explore and experience. There is even a winter Eagle Days at Guntersville State park like the Eagle Days on the WI River - you just will not have to wear the extreme cold gear!

Old 05-22-2013, 11:30 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times
Hi there,

Like Mawoods I too lived in Madison, WI except I was a student who lived on campus back then. But I will always remember the beautiful summer & fall by Lake Mandota <sp?> with sail boats dotting the lake, band playing by the student union (the Rathekeller!) drinking iced cold beer. The Spring... Oh the spring in Madison WI... when it has finally warmed up to ZERO degree F., the sun & the girls never looked lovelier!!

So... what advice can I offer to you regarding where to live. We faced this dilemma 5 yrs ago when we moved here. At the end we chooses Madison over Hampton for many reasons mentioned above. But there are additional factors I think warrant your consideration:

1. Education. Madison city schools are ALL good across the board whether it is elementary, middle, or high schools. Madison is a smaller city so they can maintain the quality of schools better.

2. New Homes. If you have not had the experience, you can have the luxury of buying brand new homes without worry about who had use that toilet in that house before you. You can pick the floor plan that meet your needs, different options for your kitchens, and even upgrade the size of toilets (I did on mine and it has been... So much nicer experience ).

3. Non Flood Zone. Madison has a much flatter topography which means you get to enjoy the open space, good sun exposure for backyard gardens, and minimum threat on floods. Hampton Cove, on the other hand, was built on previously a flood zone and even today are at risk of flooding without a good drainage.

4. Convenience access to I-65. You will save yourselves at least 30 minutes drive to I-65 when you live in Madison.

5. Diversity of restaurants. Madison has more choices of restaurants including many international cuisines available. HC has Hardies & Taco Bell.

6. Starbucks Coffee Shop. Madison boast many Starbucks coffee shops where as HC has none. I enjoy go to the nearby Barnes & Nobel's in the Bridge Street Mall that has a Starbucks inside to browse books while sipping a cup of latte and enjoy a piece of cheese cake factory's cake.

7. Chuck Wagon BBQ. It boasts the best BBQ in N. Alabama. I was told this by someone who competes in the BBQ contests. I am a frequent customer and, judging from the long line every time I go, many agree with me.

Well, I hope this clarifies a few things and generates more controversy for the board. . Good luck on your decision.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:21 AM

86 posts, read 243,245 times
Wow you all thank you so much! I didn't realize we would be so lucky to have others from Wisconsin reply! Wisconsin is truly my favorite place I have ever lived. I married someone from there 20 years ago... I was a girl from the south (Florida and Texas). The people, the summers, the soft grass, people who buy local, farmers markets, Devil's Lake, Eagle River, Brewers and Packers games...sigh.. The winters... ugggh.

Madison, AL sounds like it may be a better match for us. We will be sure to visit all what Alabama has to offer. Our eldest son even made a pinterest page with some beautiful parks within the state. We were amazed at some of the beauty!

I have another quick question if that is alright. Do you feel as we do that Madison/ Huntsville is a growing area. As I stated before we work for ourselves from home but we would like to live in an area that has healthy growth. We understand that the economy is just coming out what most of the country has been experiencing in the last few years, but we would like to know that the area thriving.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:03 AM

252 posts, read 321,170 times
@florida_sassy. Madison was the fastest growing city in Alabama for years. It is fully developed now with neighborhoods stacked together and infrastructure that did not support the growth. If you like shouting four letter words as you drive, Madison is the place for you.

I have lived in Owens Cross Roads (Hampton Cove area) for 3 years and I enjoy the pace. It is 15 minutes from any place in Huntsville and only 5 minutes to the Jones Valley area that has good shopping and my favorite restaurant. Hampton Cove is very scenic with a peaceful, slow pace for old people like me. Also, Hampton Cove will experience explosive business growth over the next 5 years. I hope they do it responsibly and do not disturb the nature qualities of the area.

Hampton Cove Middle (grades 6-8) was built last year.
High school is Huntsville High. Both are excellent schools.

Hampton Cove

Old 05-23-2013, 07:23 AM

331 posts, read 511,097 times
I agree with Reggie. Madison is a gridlock and when you combine the driving cultures of all different places into one, you have some bad driving scenarios. Luckily school will be over this week and that will grant some level of relief during the morning commute.

Regards
Huffbuffer

Old 05-23-2013, 08:26 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffbuffer View Post
I agree with Reggie. Madison is a gridlock and when you combine the driving cultures of all different places into one, you have some bad driving scenarios. Luckily school will be over this week and that will grant some level of relief during the morning commute.

Regards
Huffbuffer
Here comes the attacks!

I live in Madison and I do not agree with the above assessment. If you live in the "older" part, I.e., near Slaughter Road, that may be true but the newer part of the city, the western part off Countyline & Balch are not crowded.

Also re: "neighborhoods are stacked against each other"...
You should take a drive around and see for yourself. There are many neighborhoods with large lot & open spaces. The "newer" subdivisions in Owens Cross Road are the same size, if not smaller lot size wise, than in Madison.

Last edited by HB2HSV; 05-23-2013 at 08:35 AM..

Old 05-23-2013, 08:30 AM

331 posts, read 511,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Here comes the attacks!

I live in Madison and I do not agree with the above assessment. If you live in the "older" part, I.e., near Slaughter Road, that may be true but the newer part of the city, the western part off Countyline & Balch are not crowded.
I live off County Line and the original statement I posted is based on my commute to work every morning. Not attacks, just observations.

Regards
Huffbuffer

Old 05-23-2013, 08:32 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,874 times
I have lived off County Line for 3+ years and never considered traffic to be bad in Madison. The main road I try to avoid at certain times is 72, but there are plenty of other E-W roads to take in order to accomplish that and even then the "gridlock" on 72 isn't that bad, especially compared to suburbs of Nashville, such as Green Hills and Brentwood. Yes, it does get congested around the schools in the morning and afternoon, but that is true in any town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area