Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 08:44 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,680,637 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Tampa and visited Huntsville. Huntsville isn't as big as Tampa, isn't near the Ocean and based on that alone has less to do there. True Tampa traffic isn't the greatest, however, it is a large Metro Area (3 million plus). Huntsville isn't bad though, and like you said a lot of gov't contractors...gov't work doesn't really pay more than private sector (unless you start talking GS13, 14, 15 levels), and the benefits are being cut more and more, especially with the furloughs and talks of reduction in force (layoffs) slated for next year. Tampa economy is a service based economy and has a large medical field. There are all types of jobs there, but like was stated before the housing market took a huge dump, which could be either good or bad given the situation. Both places aren't bad, but in my experience you'll just want more than Huntsville can offer, sure it's not a terrible place to live and raise a family, but you'll notice that there is just more activities to do in Tampa, it's not even a comparison really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 09:00 AM

331 posts, read 507,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I've lived in Tampa and visited Huntsville. Huntsville isn't as big as Tampa, isn't near the Ocean and based on that alone has less to do there. True Tampa traffic isn't the greatest, however, it is a large Metro Area (3 million plus). Huntsville isn't bad though, and like you said a lot of gov't contractors...gov't work doesn't really pay more than private sector (unless you start talking GS13, 14, 15 levels), and the benefits are being cut more and more, especially with the furloughs and talks of reduction in force (layoffs) slated for next year. Tampa economy is a service based economy and has a large medical field. There are all types of jobs there, but like was stated before the housing market took a huge dump, which could be either good or bad given the situation. Both places aren't bad, but in my experience you'll just want more than Huntsville can offer, sure it's not a terrible place to live and raise a family, but you'll notice that there is just more activities to do in Tampa, it's not even a comparison really.
I was in Tampa for the week of the 4th. There was nothing about it that would make me wish to reside there. The beach is a pain to get to and to compare it to Huntsville is like apples and oranges. If you're going to put a big city in the mix. You should compare it to another big city such as Atlanta or even Nashville. If the beaches are what attracts someone to live in an area you would be much better served describing the pan handle area instead

Regards
Huffbuffer

Old 07-30-2013, 02:11 PM

78 posts, read 122,151 times
Are government jobs (specially for software engineers) still available? That'd be our main reason for moving to Alabama instead of Tampa!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:05 PM

252 posts, read 318,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junita View Post
Are government jobs (specially for software engineers) still available? That'd be our main reason for moving to Alabama instead of Tampa!
The government contractor space is flourishing for software engineers. GS/GM/SES jobs not so much.

I am well connected on Redstone if you want to send me a DM. Provide specific software specialties and I will send some leads and info. I worked as a senior consultant for the Army until last year and they are headhunting me vigorously. After 12 years in the business I needed a change and I am working private sector now. The pay is great but it is white collar welfare IMO with very little job satisfaction.

If you are set on Tampa, I have one contact at MacDill that works in Information Assurance for special ops command. Depending on what you are looking for, I will see what I can find out.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:22 PM

944 posts, read 1,175,709 times
With either gov or contracting comes uncertainties...furlough, loss of contracts...https://www.usajobs.gov/

Old 08-04-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2517 View Post
With either gov or contracting comes uncertainties...furlough, loss of contracts...https://www.usajobs.gov/
It is just beginning IMO. However, those with talent and in the gov arena have the best chance for success in the Huntsville area. I hope the white collar welfare ends soon.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:10 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,016,585 times
Huntsville vs Tampa

(disclaimer: I did not read past the second page)

Old 08-08-2013, 09:12 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,944,208 times
Florida = Higher jorts ratio to overall population.
Alabama = Lower tooth-per-head quotient.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:23 AM

331 posts, read 507,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
Huntsville vs Tampa

(disclaimer: I did not read past the second page)

Thanks for the graph. That made my day.

Regards
Huffbuffer

Old 08-09-2013, 01:24 PM

Dog gone it CoreLysium. I have been working on the chart all morning and I cannot figure it out... so I'm gonna have to ask. Is Huntsville the Apple or the Orange?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area