Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 03:19 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
It is depressing to think about how a lot of North Huntsville looked back in the day (all of these hotels were in N. Huntsville) compared to what a lot of it looks like now - especially N. Parkway. The City of Huntsville needs to make a concerted effort to improve the looks of this major thoroughfare north of I-565 and the far south portion, as well. Many of the commercial buildings and shopping centers along the Parkway were built in the heady days of the boom times of the early 1960's when the Space Program caused HSV to grow so rapidly. Now, they look dated and are in great need of redevelopment.

I guess the original eastern approach to the city has been neglected since I-565 was extended eastward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 03:29 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
Schmo - The northeastern approach to Huntsville is better than ever - US72 from Scottsboro becomes I565 over Chapman Mountain, so a visitor gets a nice view of downtown (and the cough, cough, skyline). I usually think of the eastern approach to Huntsville as US431 / Governors Drive from Gunterville over Monte Sano Mountain, which provides a beautiful vista of Jones Valley. The northern approach is better than ever - US231 / Memorial Parkway over Wade Mountain passes by AAMU's new stadium. The western approach along I565 passes by the airport, research park, and the Space and Rocket Center. The southern approach on US231 over the Tennessee River provides natural beauty, if you can ignore the gas stations and strip clubs.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,411 times
Default My second job in life was at Howard Johnsons

I was a newspaper boy with the Huntsville News, but after that, my first real job was at Howard Johnson's. I was one of the greatest jobs that I have ever had. I started out as dishwasher, but eventually held almost ever job there was to have in the restaurant. I can't remember our managers name, and I hate that because he was a wonderful boss, who ran perhaps the most popular restaurant in town, at the time, and knew how to make a hard job fun. We had people lined up outside the doors many nights and days, waiting for an available table...the food was that good. Those of us who worked there got to meet almost every rock star and band that came to town, because they stayed at Howard Johnson's. We got to serve them, then we got to play and party with them after work. Many a great day or night was spent gathered around the swimming pool there. I watched a show today, in which they were showing the last Howard Johnson's in America, open because someone who loved them bought to place and reopened it as it originally was, menu's and all. How sad, but I have wonderful memories of my time at the one in Huntsville, and yes McDonald's was right across the street. It was on North Parkway.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:32 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,279,085 times
Here is a link to the story he is talking about.

​Visiting the last surviving Howard Johnson's - CBS News

I didn't realize they were a restaurant first THEN hotels/motels added later.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:47 AM

394 posts, read 628,387 times
Here's a page dedicated to the Huntsville HoJo.

Huntsville: page 1 of 1

Old 03-29-2017, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 998 times
I was doing a course at Intergraph in 1982. Stayed at the Howard for 14 weeks, got very friendly with the "Pub" people. They even organized a welcome party for mu wife Lies. Napkins and match boxes imprinted with "welcome Lies". Wonder whether there is still somebody around who remembers this. We had a great time.

Wim en Lies Witteveen

South Africa

Old 09-09-2017, 02:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,233 times
Does anyone remember, I believe his name was Victor Shapiro, and was maybe a regional manager for Ho Jo's in Huntsville back in the early 1980's? He always made sure that you were satisfied with your accomodations, food, etc., and it was such a pleasant sight to see him in the restaurant with his family. I miss those days, reminds me of vacations with my family when I was a child.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,233 times
Not sure what years you worked there, but I use to stay there in the late 70's, and was wondering if you remember a man by the name of, I believe, Victor Shapiro. I think he was from Valdosta, Georgia, and was maybe a district supervisor over several Howard Johnsons at the time. Just picking your brain. Moderator cut: :Use the DM function. Email links disallowed in forums.

Last edited by harry chickpea; 08-06-2019 at 07:26 PM..

Old 08-07-2019, 08:27 AM

69 posts, read 93,532 times
Not to hijack this thread but the old Howard Johnson's in Madison on Hwy 20 was one of the nicest and most well run Hotels around back in the late 80's, early 90's. Managed by a guy named Kanuri and he was top notch, their restaurant called the Gazebo was a very little known secret as one of the finest dining places around and had the best filet in town with a fine chef back in the day, too bad to see it in it's current disarray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area