Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:18 AM

331 posts, read 511,326 times

Advertisements

Me and a couple of friends of mine ate at the old shack-style Greenbrier a couple of weeks ago. We asked the gentleman at the register about why there are two and is there any difference. Well long story short, we were promptly removed from the premises. Could someone elaborate on this feud that seems to be in place between the two establishments?

Regards
Huffbuffer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 09:05 AM

582 posts, read 827,043 times
The old Greenbriar in the new location moved into their new location just off I-565 and all was well.

Then the new Greenbriar opened up a restaurant at the old location and called it by the same name.

The feud has existed since then. Both were here when I moved here in Aug. 1990, so it's been going on for at least that long.

I won't go to the new GB at the old location, they can KMA.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:31 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
I went to the old "shack style" one a number of times, then I found out the back story. Now that I know, I refuse to go there. It simply isn't right to steal another restaurant's business model and menu. Not to mention the audacity to give their restaurant basically the same name.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:52 AM

41 posts, read 67,632 times
I've never heard that there was a feud or anything. I asked a waitress at the "old GB building" about there being two and she said there was no bad blood and that they were jsut two different business. I've always thought it was weird that there were two and ive always gone to the old shack one , i thought it was the original , i love the food there , been to the one on 565 once and didnt like it as much. So in the end it came down to the food.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:17 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,279,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
The old Greenbriar in the new location moved into their new location just off I-565 and all was well.

Then the new Greenbriar opened up a restaurant at the old location and called it by the same name.

The feud has existed since then. Both were here when I moved here in Aug. 1990, so it's been going on for at least that long.

I won't go to the new GB at the old location, they can KMA.
There is an article about the dueling GB at the lobby area of the 565 location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
I went to the old "shack style" one a number of times, then I found out the back story. Now that I know, I refuse to go there. It simply isn't right to steal another restaurant's business model and menu. Not to mention the audacity to give their restaurant basically the same name.
It's a blatant rip off.

I grew up with both, not really knowing there was a difference.

The 565 location is cleaner and better lit. I have been to both probably the same number of times, but prefer the 565 location. We even had our reception at the 565 location one.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:16 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Only the old location for me - don't like the one at the new location. The food at the old location has been consistently good whenever I have taken the family. As for the name, I think the old location has every right to the name "Greenbrier Restaurant" as it's the one located at the "Greenbrier" crossroad.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:19 PM

331 posts, read 511,326 times
Honestly, neither one is great bbq in my opinion but I have been to places as far as PHL and people know of this restaurant.

Regards
Huffbuffer

Old 07-30-2013, 02:22 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Only the old location for me - don't like the one at the new location. The food at the old location has been consistently good whenever I have taken the family. As for the name, I think the old location has every right to the name "Greenbrier Restaurant" as it's the one located at the "Greenbrier" crossroad.
Yes it would be if it was a diner or something different, but the also stole their menu and recipes.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:22 PM

252 posts, read 321,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffbuffer View Post
Honestly, neither one is great bbq in my opinion but I have been to places as far as PHL and people know of this restaurant.

Regards
Huffbuffer
If you want honesty, I would never go to an existing BBQ place if Famous Daves came to town. I love their BREAD PUDDING... Oh my, yummy.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:39 PM

394 posts, read 628,387 times
The story I heard was that the owners of the original Greenbriar decided to close down for a few months and go on vacation leaving all of the employees "unemployed" for a period of time while the new Greenbriar was being built. Some of the employees decided to lease or buy the old building and continue selling what they knew how to sell in order to "have a job".

Who know is the story is true, just what I heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area