Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 06:38 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,121 times

Advertisements

So the city is up to something like 9 either open or announced. As far as I know Straight to Ale is the only one with distribution outside Huntsville and Madison. I seriously had doubts all four could last back when there were just four (and what three years ago or so there was only one). Do people in Huntsville really drink enough to support that many?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 07:45 PM

581 posts, read 826,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
So the city is up to something like 9 either open or announced. As far as I know Straight to Ale is the only one with distribution outside Huntsville and Madison. I seriously had doubts all four could last back when there were just four (and what three years ago or so there was only one). Do people in Huntsville really drink enough to support that many?
The better question is: Do enough people hate the typical swill made by the big brewery's?

My bet: Yes.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
The better question is: Do enough people hate the typical swill made by the big brewery's?

My bet: Yes.

Eh I tend to prefer that to most of the microbrews whose only goal seems to be to outbitter the other other guy's beer. Still though 9 microbreweries seems to be a large number for a city the size of Huntsville.

I lived in Savannah, GA which is about the size of Huntsville, and it had I think 1 or 2. I live in Omaha now which is a place with a much smaller percentage of non-drinkers than Huntsville. It's about 3 times the size of Huntsville, and it has 4 microbreweries I think only one of which is even distributed offsite.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:54 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,276 times
Quote:
As far as I know Straight to Ale is the only one with distribution outside Huntsville and Madison.
Blue Pants is available in several areas of TN (with more on the way) and as far south as Montgomery, AL....same as Yellowhammer, without the TN availability yet. Old Black Bear is also on tap at a handful of locations in Birmingham.

Obviously the beer drinkers are there if distribution is still spreading.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Blue Pants is available in several areas of TN (with more on the way) and as far south as Montgomery, AL. Old Black Bear is also on tap at a handful of locations in Birmingham.

Cool I did not know that. Obviously having a larger distribution probably increases the chances of its survival.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:01 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Blue Pants is available in several areas of TN (with more on the way) and as far south as Montgomery, AL....same as Yellowhammer, without the TN availability yet. Old Black Bear is also on tap at a handful of locations in Birmingham.

Obviously the beer drinkers are there if distribution is still spreading.
I got a notice that Blue Pants had a big event/tasting at the Auburn University Hotel and Conference Center not too long ago so obviously distribution is spreading.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:38 PM

889 posts, read 2,397,470 times
Quote:
Eh I tend to prefer that to most of the microbrews whose only goal seems to be to outbitter the other other guy's beer. Still though 9 microbreweries seems to be a large number for a city the size of Huntsville.

I lived in Savannah, GA which is about the size of Huntsville, and it had I think 1 or 2. I live in Omaha now which is a place with a much smaller percentage of non-drinkers than Huntsville. It's about 3 times the size of Huntsville, and it has 4 microbreweries I think only one of which is even distributed offsite.
I lived in Savannah for 5 years (2002-06). During the time I was there they only had Moon River Brewing, which is actually a brewpub. They did not distribute offsite. They now claim Coastal Empire Brewing. But guess what... it's actually made by Straight to Ale, right here in Huntsville! Check the back of the can if you run across it.

But as for Huntsville's ability to support all these breweries... Realistically, I don't think they can all survive long-term. I feel as though Huntsville could realistically support 5 or 6. But craft beer is growing at an amazing rate as most people have discovered that local beer usually means real and fresh beer as opposed to mass produced fizzy yellow swill that has been force fed to the public for decades.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:45 PM

Yeah I think Moon River was the only one there when I was there (and still a brewpub as far as I know, but counting it since I am counting the ones in Huntsville), but I thought I had better fudge up in case I had forgotten something.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:05 AM

331 posts, read 511,000 times
Depends on how good the brew is. I have tried a few from Straight to Ale and wasnt much of a fan. Plus the influx of so many micro brews now could help keep the prices down some.

Regards
Huffbuffer

Old 08-05-2013, 03:45 PM

581 posts, read 826,177 times
Seems appropriate for this thread:

Sorry lite beer: Some getting 'tired of the taste'* - NBC News.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area