Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 10:00 AM

140 posts, read 293,310 times

Advertisements

If anyone lives in the new portion of Breland Homes Ashbury subdivision, could they tell me what internet providers are out there? Only thing out there is DSL thru AT&T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 01:14 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,224,868 times
I have WOW internet and my techie husband has been extremely pleased with our speeds.....would NOT recommend renting the modem they offer, as we have heard it is crap. We purchased an upgraded modem for around $100 and three of us can stream at the same time without noticing a lag in speed, and we have never had an issue with "prime time" drag on speeds.

With that being said, I have never had their cable package because I have not heard good things about it.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:21 PM

86 posts, read 233,520 times
I won't be needing the cable package anyway. I'm happy with direcTv.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:41 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,038,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
I have WOW internet and my techie husband has been extremely pleased with our speeds.....would NOT recommend renting the modem they offer, as we have heard it is crap. We purchased an upgraded modem for around $100 and three of us can stream at the same time without noticing a lag in speed, and we have never had an issue with "prime time" drag on speeds.

With that being said, I have never had their cable package because I have not heard good things about it.
Which model of modem did you end up getting?

Old 08-27-2013, 02:42 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,038,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs2487 View Post
If anyone lives in the new portion of Breland Homes Ashbury subdivision, could they tell me what internet providers are out there? Only thing out there is DSL thru AT&T
You should be able to get Knology/Wow out there, but just call them. Also check out xfinity through Comcast. They are near there, but not sure if they've made a line into that subdivision yet.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:42 AM

331 posts, read 507,642 times
Did anyone in the Madison area with Wow cable service have an issue last night around 8pm where the cable box shut off and did some funky stuff for about 10-15 minutes before coming back up? Was there an update pushed out or something or was it just service issues?

Regards
Huffbuffer

Old 08-29-2013, 10:57 AM

394 posts, read 624,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffbuffer View Post
Did anyone in the Madison area with Wow cable service have an issue last night around 8pm where the cable box shut off and did some funky stuff for about 10-15 minutes before coming back up? Was there an update pushed out or something or was it just service issues?
That was the Prism update for all of our cable modems.

I've had a few issues over the last month. The rep indicated that they are doing a mass upgrade on the system in preparation of moving all of the analogue channels to digital and prepare for the offering of UltraTV.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:00 PM

93 posts, read 176,639 times
I have knology/wow and have been very happy with it for 2 years. I provided my own modem a Motorola Surfboard docsis 3 modem (I think model number was 6120). When the tech installed it he told me that although paying for 12Meg service I will get higher using my owns modem. He said that knology had a custom firmware on the rental modems whereas my own supplied one didn't. He was correct, I comfortably get more than 18meg a lot of the time, more than I pay for :-)

I had ATT before that and was always frustrated. Slower than paid for service, also note they settled a class action a few years back for throttling speed below what people were paying for. They then bricked my modem and claimed it was not their fault, eventually higher tier customer service intervened but much time wasted... I plan to avoid going back to ATT unless my hand is forced.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:49 PM

300 posts, read 602,874 times
We have Knology for Internet, and have had no problems. For a time, we had their cable, that's a whole different animal....

Old 09-06-2013, 09:59 AM

10 posts, read 13,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs2487 View Post
Did you ever find out if Ashbury has more than just DSL? I've been calling around to Knology/WOW and Comcast but neither say they service out there yet.

We're starting to build on one of the last lots in the phase, so let's hope they get us another ISP with this new phase they're starting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: