Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 03:31 PM

93 posts, read 177,600 times

Advertisements

Crude oil on the NYMEX exchange has risen from around $103 to 110 per barrel in the past 5 days. This is highest barrel price in 2 years. This is amid fears of a future supply shortage due to the potential of an increased Syrian conflict. Although Syria is not a large supplier of oil the traders concern is the potential for reduced output from other middle eastern countries.

The fact that Mapco are first to raise price may just be secondary to where they are in their purchasing cycle relative to oil futures. Other gas stations will raise prices similarly in the next few days. You may want to gas up soon...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 03:49 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkies View Post
Crude oil on the NYMEX exchange has risen from around $103 to 110 per barrel in the past 5 days. This is highest barrel price in 2 years. This is amid fears of a future supply shortage due to the potential of an increased Syrian conflict. Although Syria is not a large supplier of oil the traders concern is the potential for reduced output from other middle eastern countries.

The fact that Mapco are first to raise price may just be secondary to where they are in their purchasing cycle relative to oil futures. Other gas stations will raise prices similarly in the next few days. You may want to gas up soon...
I am so sick of "concerns of conflict in the middle east" causing our gas to jump up every few months. When is there not conflict in the middle east. There has been conflict there since the day I was born. Heck when was there not conflict in that area in the last 1000 years?

Old 08-28-2013, 04:27 PM

375 posts, read 513,795 times
On the topic of Mapco, has anyone noticed that their gasoline mixture seems to burn quicker than that from other brands available in Madison/Huntsville? I haven't gone so far as to run numbers and check miles per gallon on tanks from competing stations, but my impression is that I get less miles from a tank of gas purchased at Mapco than I do from a tank of gas purchased from Kroger, Murphy Oil, or Chevron. I suppose I should run some numbers on a couple of tanks from Mapco and at least another one of these stations and and see if there's actually a difference.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:34 PM

93 posts, read 177,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I am so sick of "concerns of conflict in the middle east" causing our gas to jump up every few months. When is there not conflict in the middle east. There has been conflict there since the day I was born. Heck when was there not conflict in that area in the last 1000 years?
Agree, you would think that there would be a percentage of conflict built into the price... it shows the issue of our dependence on foreign oil.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:07 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,579,157 times
if a muslim toilet explodes in the middle east gas goes up a dime here in the U.S.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:59 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,278,748 times
The Mapco on Slaughter and 72 routinely goes up .25 cents after morning rush hour. I see it at 8:45 and then pass by around 10 or so and easily .25 cents more.

But ever since the credit card breach I haven't used them.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:37 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grumpy View Post
On the topic of Mapco, has anyone noticed that their gasoline mixture seems to burn quicker than that from other brands available in Madison/Huntsville? I haven't gone so far as to run numbers and check miles per gallon on tanks from competing stations, but my impression is that I get less miles from a tank of gas purchased at Mapco than I do from a tank of gas purchased from Kroger, Murphy Oil, or Chevron. I suppose I should run some numbers on a couple of tanks from Mapco and at least another one of these stations and and see if there's actually a difference.
If you use E85 from Mapco, your MPG will decrease by about 33%. I have never noticed a decrease with their normal blends in three different vehicles compared to the fuel at any the other station.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:13 PM

137 posts, read 231,275 times
Great...I need to fill up tomorrow...with 93. I want a Tesla!

Old 08-29-2013, 06:46 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Heck when was there not conflict in that area in the last 1000 years?
I think the amount of time that there has been conflict in the middle east is "all of it."

Old 08-29-2013, 01:24 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Great!!! That means I'll get more rewards points when I fill up!!!
Oh boy, maybe - just maybe - a free bottle of water!!! Whoopeee!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area