Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:35 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
The smaller dealerships outside of Huntsville are more willing to work with people. The dealers in Huntsville sell in large enough volumes that they don't care if they miss a sale.
I've heard this about many Huntsville area dealerships. This puzzles me. Coming from LA/ OC where there is a TONS of dealerships it was exactly the opposite. All of them are willing to deal. If not, just go down the street to another dealership. But then again, going down the street around here means go to another city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 10:07 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,874 times
Everyone interested in purchasing a new vehicle will benefit greatly from reading this thread, especially the first post.

How to buy a new car, FWF style

Old 09-02-2013, 06:19 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,263,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I've heard this about many Huntsville area dealerships. This puzzles me. Coming from LA/ OC where there is a TONS of dealerships it was exactly the opposite. All of them are willing to deal. If not, just go down the street to another dealership. But then again, going down the street around here means go to another city.

Its true, and Nashville is the same way.

When I bought my BMW, I originally found what I wanted at Century. They barely would budge and it was listed TOO HIGH anyway, so I began looking elsewhere as far as ATL and found almost the EXACT car....year, model, features....and within about 100 +/- miles of each other.....at Tom Williams in Bham. It was already listed less than the one at Century, and I ended up paying (and I am NOT KIDDING) right at $10k LESS going with Tom Williams. They were EXTREMELY negotiable, but I was a cash, very firm buyer.

Tom Williams is awesome to deal with too. Funny story, while I was there picking up the car, the guy from Century called and told me he had gotten the sales manager to come off another $500. I laughed.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:06 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,836,154 times
Quote:
Southern California is so populated there is one city right after another. The manufacturers give the dealers protected territories based off of population density and distance. Here our population density is much much lower so of course the dealers aren't going to be as close together.

I get dealer invoice pricing on many different brands of cars because I have family that work for or retired from several of the manufacturers so I get to actually see the dealer invoice when I go in to buy. They actually do not make that much off of new vehicles. Seriously, many of the new cars are only marked up $2000 to $4000 depending on the model. If you get them down $500, you have taken a significant amount of profit away. They make their money off of your trade in by taking them to auction or if they are in excellent condition and a good seller, they clean them up and sell them on their used lot at a high profit margin.

Last edited by dijkstra; 09-02-2013 at 08:22 AM..

Old 09-02-2013, 07:41 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,123,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffbuffer View Post
Thanks everyone. Anyone have any places they have used in the past that could be recommended?

Regards
Huffbuffer
Well, I would highly recommend Carolyn T. at the Cullman Chrysler dealership (should you shop for a dodge or chrysler). Like I said, she was the ONLY one that actually contacted me back and answered every question that I had. When I met with her, she went out of her way to really help get me exactly what I wanted and more. Very good to deal with. No high pressure. I happily drove out with the showroom car.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:49 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Its true, and Nashville is the same way.

When I bought my BMW, I originally found what I wanted at Century. They barely would budge and it was listed TOO HIGH anyway, so I began looking elsewhere as far as ATL and found almost the EXACT car....year, model, features....and within about 100 +/- miles of each other.....at Tom Williams in Bham. It was already listed less than the one at Century, and I ended up paying (and I am NOT KIDDING) right at $10k LESS going with Tom Williams. They were EXTREMELY negotiable, but I was a cash, very firm buyer.

Tom Williams is awesome to deal with too. Funny story, while I was there picking up the car, the guy from Century called and told me he had gotten the sales manager to come off another $500. I laughed.
Thanks LCT.

Dang! $10K difference!

My experience says that dealers actually like it better if you take out a loan through their financing dept., because that's another source of profit for them.

Dijkstra- re: invoice pricing
I've always begin negotiation starting with the invoice price. This is when doing my homework helps. I would ask them to show me the invoice for this specific car, if they can't (unwilling) then I will tell them what the invoice price is (homework pays off).

The dealer make profit above the difference between the invoice price & the final sales price. Depending on makes, models, sales volume, etc., they get various discount, incentive pricings from the manufacturers. Also the manufacturers "forced" dealers to carry less popular models, not just the "best sellers". Dealers are paying loan interest on cars sitting in the lot & not moving. They have a lot of incentive to move the inventory.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:38 PM

483 posts, read 630,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhony123 View Post
hello users !!!

I discuss about bmw car business .we think you’ll jibe that no else manufacturer can submit swift resolution creators such a irresistible pool of species-capital autos moreover liturgys as bmw. The forever-improving spectrum of efficientdynamics technologies is overwhelming reason that coarse running expenses plus tariff efficiency don’t contain to occur at the cost of live matinee further jockey entreat.

Thanks
wth?????

Old 09-02-2013, 01:48 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,837,174 times
3 years ago when we lived in the area we went to all the Mazda dealers around- outside of Huntsville. Our experience was that only the Huntsville dealer wanted to do business ! My husband is a good negotiator starting from invoice, etc. But the dealers in the little towns were sort of sloppy in getting back to us, etc. Almost like we weren't worth it. The local Mazda dealer (Hiley I think) was great. We ended up buying from them and got the best deal for the same new Miata.

I still have my Miata and I love my car. It is a classic and the only car I have loved and get tingled over!!! LOL!!! I love being 63 years old and driving with the top down and listening to the oldies.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:26 PM

42 posts, read 62,083 times
Mountain Dweller bought his first car 30 years ago (used). I have never bought a new car and it has worked well for me since I found a great dealer in Decatur. Smith Motors has 3 lots and they are friendly and not pushy whatsoever like most used car salesmen or realtor types. I have bought 5 cars, all less than Kelly private party value, and not one problem! I currently have a Civic and an Xterra that I paid a combined 18K for. Got 160k and 210k miles on them. It is sooo nice not remembering what a car payment is like. Okay, I did have to change a headlight once but I'm guessing that is normal at 200k?

Old 09-02-2013, 07:31 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,836,154 times
Quote:
Thanks LCT.

Dang! $10K difference!

My experience says that dealers actually like it better if you take out a loan through their financing dept., because that's another source of profit for them.

Dijkstra- re: invoice pricing
I've always begin negotiation starting with the invoice price. This is when doing my homework helps. I would ask them to show me the invoice for this specific car, if they can't (unwilling) then I will tell them what the invoice price is (homework pays off).

The dealer make profit above the difference between the invoice price & the final sales price. Depending on makes, models, sales volume, etc., they get various discount, incentive pricings from the manufacturers. Also the manufacturers "forced" dealers to carry less popular models, not just the "best sellers". Dealers are paying loan interest on cars sitting in the lot & not moving. They have a lot of incentive to move the inventory.
I have access to the entire vehicle invoicing from the manufacturer, including all incentives, manufacturer to dealer rebates etc, not just the dealer invoice. Trust me, I know how it works and what they make. If someone negotiated 10K off the MSRP, it was one both the manufacturer and the dealer wanted gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area