Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 09:20 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times

Advertisements

I travel to Huntsville quite often on business. I would like to know what Huntsville locals think about the future of Huntsville, say in about five to ten years. How will HSV be different with respect to housing, land use, school systems and infrastructure, retail, shopping, health services, etc. In which geographic direction is HSV expanding? Are the jobs (tech, aerospace, defense) expected to continue to be located at Redstone and also the Research Park area? Where might the newer housing developments be built, both middle class ($200K-$400K) and upscale ($500K and up)? Is there plans for additional major highways or thoroughfares? Anything else?

Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 10:01 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,891 times
I have heard it said they are slowing or stopping geographic expansion east, and instead moving more expansion north. That makes sense, because when I looked at FEMA's flood plain maps before deciding to buy our house, I saw that there really wasn't much more room east without building into the 100 or 500 yr flood plains. South I think is pretty much built as far as it can go. However, there is still lots of open land available woven into existing developments in east Huntsville. I *hope* this land is earmarked for more commercial expansion and infrastructure rather than more housing developments. Certainly with all the developments there the land holds many profitable opportunities for commercial development.

To add to this question, what I am curious about, is if there is an administration change with associated defense budget cuts, would this severely affect Huntsville's job market and economy? I have never before lived in an area that leaned so heavily on a single industry. Than again, BRAC (as I understand it) means any reductions in the region are reconsolidated TO Huntsville, so it seems Huntsville would one of the military towns *least* affected by budget cuts. (Not to say unaffected, but less affected than a more peripheral town that leans heavily on the defense industry.) Am I wrong?

Old 11-15-2007, 11:56 AM

47 posts, read 205,168 times
I believe it is easier to look near-term than long-term as it will be dominated by BRAC. Obviously NASA and the Army will be driving growth over the next few years. The second phase of the Von Braun Center has been completed and the third phase will start soon which is greater than phase 1 & 2 combined. The new SMDC building is under construction as we speak. The HQ for the Recruiting Command coming from Ft Gillem is also under construction. Won't be long before HQ AMC building will start their construction. Construction in the Cummings Research Park continues for the Beltway Bandits. Bridge Street Shopping Development has just opened it's first phase. Verizon just announced a new Call Center to be opened in Huntsville with 200 new jobs.
More hotels are scheduled to be built downtown.

Growth continues in all parts of town such as the Northeast, Hampton Cove, Jones Valley, Madison, and all points north of town.

Highway 78 from Memphis to Birmingham is approaching the completion that will convert it to Interstate 22. Discussions are ongoing to convert Highway 72 from Memphis to Huntsville and on to either Chattanooga or Atlanta or both as an Interstate. Movement towards adding an exit at I-565 and CountyLine Road is progressing. Talk of adding another exit at I-565 and Zeirdt Road is being discussed. Meetings are ongoing to discuss building toll roads in Alabama and specifically in Huntsville to include Patriots Parkway which will link Southeast Huntsville to Madison Area across Redstone Arsenal.

Though some might argue, there are few signs of any recession in Huntsville area. Downside is we need the infrastructure to be improved ASAP. More roads and more schools are needed.

Although reduction in defense spending could hurt some, I do not see it slowing down the growth in Huntsville in the next 5 years. Beyond that it will be hard to tell but the Army is placing an emphasis on expanding operations in Huntsville that are not driven by troop units. The number of brigades in the Army can rise and fall without having a large effect of Huntsville operations.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:41 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,435,565 times
Quote:
administration change with associated defense budget cuts
Military probably won't get cut. Government jobs usually aren't affected (although RIFs happen - Reduction in Force). Prime contractor jobs may be affected - depending on the program - Missile Defense will be cut. Support contractor (SETA) jobs are at risk - they're the easiest and first to cut. Even if you don't get cut, you might expect to go years without raises.

Charles - it seems that everything that is not new is under renovation or being widened.

Road plans include Research Park Blvd / MLK extension to Memorial Parkway (Bob Wade Ln) and eventually to 72E and 431 and Hobbs Island (probably not in my lifetime), widen Winchester Rd, widen Zierdt Road, widen Old Madison Pike, widen 72W, widen Jeff Rd, Parkway overpasses at Weatherly and Max Luther and Sparkman, Harris Hill I565 interchange, 'Patriot' parkway from SE HSV (Hobbs Island?) to Research Park (Rideout?), Memphis to Atlanta Interstate, widen both Meridian and Church Streets to Oakwood. CRP Loop (Explorer Blvd extension).

Botanical garden to Space Center tramway.

The airport master plan envision 10,000 acres with two 12,600 ft. runways growing to as many as five runways (HSV is a big air cargo center). New parking deck.

UAH master plan includes an 'intermodal' center (parking and shuttle bus) and another building off University. Plus a new childcare center.

A&M plans Wellness Center, Greek housing, and intermodal center.

City plans to build new Lee High School on Meridan. New Catholic HS at CRP. IIRC new Westminster Christian at Providence.

City / County jail is still under construction on the Parkway. Downtown fire station / police complex on Clinton near Parkway (the fire station would be for ladder trucks to protect high rises).

Councill Court / Searcy housing project redevelopment (near HSV Hospital). Of course, HSV Hospital is always building...

Major developments include Market Square (old Heart of Huntsville between VBCC and Parkway - 2 hotels, shopping, restaurants, residences) and Harris Hill (hotel, shopping, restaurants). Also new parking garage downtown (Green St).

Expect more stuff in CRP and North Huntsville Industrial Park (Toyota), including intermodal center at Bridge Street. The new Hudson Alpha Institute is supposed to spur more development.

New Walmart and apartments on 72W at Balch Rd. New Publix on 53 at Jeff Rd. International Diesel plant expansion near airport. Possible / controversial Zierdt mall.

The Army leased ('Enhanced Use Lease') RSA property (ouside Gate 9 on Rideout) to build conference center and office space (Redstone Technology Park).

Pinhook Creek Riverwalk, er, Creekwalk, er, greenway... The City is buying up properties along the creek (flood plain) to reduce flood insurance rates and increase parkland.

Other projects / rumors include include VBCC expansion, Ditto Landing development (convention center, restaurant, and amphitheatre), new Federal Courthouse (at the old Mental Health Center?), Dallas Mill redevelopment, Lowe Mill redevelopment, west Valley Bend expansion, light rail from downtown to Ditto, Art Museum expansion, TVA megasite.

Most importantly - Old Towne Brewing building on Leeman Ferry (near Ice Rink)!

And then there's Madison... and Decatur...

Old 11-15-2007, 07:21 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Awesome posts everyone...What detail! I am going to have to re-read these posts slowly and have a map handy. Excellent.

I live near Colorado Springs now and the Springs and HSV were my choices to move to from Southern California. I applied and got an offer and the relo to COS. I continue to watch what is happening in HSV as it has the jobs and living qualities I desire. Also, my line of work has me traveling to HSV every couple of months. COS and HSV are similiar to me as they both have lots of good high paying defense/aerospace jobs and they both have very affordable homes (compared to Southern California where I grew up.)

Recently I have been staying at the Homewood Suites at Providence Point and was able to travel around Madison. I like a lot of the neighborhoods there - some nice ones off of Slaughter Road. I liked that Dublin Park pool and the wholesome looking kids at Bob Jones high school (who also swim at Dublin). Also, I checked out a neighborhood a few miles east of the 231, east on Airport Road and down through Carl Jones road...very impressive, modern, and planned. Unfortunately it was at night so I couldn't check it all out. (By the way, what airport is in reference to "Airport Road"? There is some sort of John Hunt Park there now? What airport used to be there??? The runways are still visible on Google Maps.)

Last edited by Charles; 11-15-2007 at 07:33 PM..

Old 11-15-2007, 08:22 PM

Charles - the old airport was at Airport Road; now the area is golf course, police facilities, Veteran's Museum, Jaycees, cross country trail, soccer fields, tennis center, &c.

Re: detail - now I've got a list

I like that many of these projects are redevelopments - Market Square and Councill will transform downtown.

The new Harris Hill development will transform NE HSV (the TIF will finance new LEE HS).

I didn't address HSV housing earlier: much of it is West (thousands of new houses planned). I've also heard that there is a new mid-price ($150s) housing development planned off Triana in SW HSV.

I didn't include Madison but it is experiencing tremendous growth as well. For someone moving here it's a great choice (schools).

Old 11-15-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
...Army is placing an emphasis on expanding operations in Huntsville that are not driven by troop units. The number of brigades in the Army can rise and fall without having a large effect of Huntsville operations.
acrossthepond - you're right that troop numbers don't impact HSV so much, but the problem is that HSV jobs rely on R&D and O&M accounts - which are at risk in a Democratic administration. Plus, Dems are somewhat hostile to Missile Defense. BRAC will lessen the impact, and Rep. Cramer (D-AL5) says he can help us weather Dem cuts, but it could suck for HSV...

Old 03-20-2009, 08:54 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times
Will the home prices spike within the mentioned time frame?

Old 03-20-2009, 09:22 AM

889 posts, read 2,397,760 times
Wow KE! You've dug up a thread from nearly a year and a half ago.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:49 AM

deesonic - but it's such a great thread! I put a lot of work (read = nicking other people's stuff) into compiling that list.

Interesting to compare 2007's list with this year's reality - lots of projects on hold...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area