Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 09:30 AM

69 posts, read 93,472 times

Advertisements

According to Nick Lough WAFF 48, Erbert and Gerbert's sent them a release that they are targeting a location in Athens before looking at Huntsville, Birmingham, Auburn, Tuscaloosa, Madison, and Decatur. Would be the first in Alabama, take it FWIW. If this happens it will give the new Firehouse some competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 09:49 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,836,154 times
I have never even heard of them. I had to look them up and see what they were. I don't recall ever seeing one anywhere I have been but maybe I just overlooked them. It begs the question though, just how many sub sandwich shops do we really need?

Old 09-19-2013, 09:53 AM

394 posts, read 628,149 times
Never heard of them either.. Looks like Jimmy John's sandwiches.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:00 AM

69 posts, read 93,472 times
I had never heard of them either but according to Nick Lough “The restaurant/business is based out of Wisconsin, has locations in 8 states, has never had a store in Alabama, and has the best Wisconsin Beer Cheese soup I've ever had. If you have never eaten there before, you are in for a treat. It is absolutely one of the best sub sandwich and soup shops I have ever been to in my life. E&G is like the Taj Mahal of soup and sandwich shops. I kid you not I could eat their food for breakfast lunch and dinner for a year and never get sick of it.” The reviews I see on the internet seem to all have a similar sentiment, so if it happens then good for Athens, we need more non-Mexican restaurants.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:45 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,277,926 times
Lol, well I can't say I am jealous.

Any place that wants ATHENS market over Madison or HSV can take a leap.

It's like DelTaco, they open in some Podunk town before moving into HSV or Madison.

It would be like DD coming back, but starting in Haleyville, then coming here.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:27 AM

2,451 posts, read 3,213,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post
Any place that wants ATHENS market over Madison or HSV can take a leap.
Why? Athens provides better interstate access, less competition. There's lots of reasons to take Athens over HSV or Madison.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:33 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,277,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Why? Athens provides better interstate access, less competition. There's lots of reasons to take Athens over HSV or Madison.
Really? Then why did CFA take so long to put one out there at all??

Yes it has better interstate access, but is there a HUGE number of Erbert & Gerbert's fans traveling on I65 daily? Also is it going to be built with visibility to the interstate? Will they get a little sign on the big board? Is there room on the big board? I would imagine Waffle House, BK, McDs, Cracker Barrel, Bees, and Lawlers probably have most of the spots covered up. I could be wrong though.

But yes, any place that decides to open up first in a smaller area, is cutting out business.

I can easily concede some points, but I will never say that Athens is a better choice than HSV or Madison.

It would be like opening one in Pell City instead of Bham. Sure it has interstate access, but it's no where near the pool of customers that Bham represents.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:23 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,095,439 times
My guess is they see that the Wendy's in Athens is the highest volume store in the area. Same for the McDonald's, and pretty sure its the same for Lawler's and Bojangles.

Then when the yankee types head down south for the winter, they'll see this place and stop by as well.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:58 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,874 times
Quote:
But yes, any place that decides to open up first in a smaller area, is cutting out business.

I can easily concede some points, but I will never say that Athens is a better choice than HSV or Madison.
One large factor may be that Madison/Huntsville is already saturated with sandwich shops, especially along 72...(Lenny's, Quizno's, Subway, Firehouse, Jimmy John's, Jersey Mike's, Which Wich, etc). Potential customers in Athens may be greater than you think when you factor in students between Athens State & Calhoun CC, not to mention some large manufacturing plants already in Athens and scheduled to open up. Also, options are very limited here for sandwich shops. Right now we have Subway and Quizno's and maybe one or two smaller local places and all are usually pretty packed during lunchtime. Finally, have you been on 72 in Athens anytime lately? It is typically bumper to bumper...not sure where all these people are coming from or going to, but they are definitely here. I for one hope the rumor is true as I'd love to have another option in Athens to grab a quick bit to eat on the days I don't brown bag it.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:01 PM

394 posts, read 628,149 times
Quote:

It's like DelTaco, they open in some Podunk town before moving into HSV or Madison.

Hopefully soon...

Del Taco to open first Alabama location - Birmingham Business Journal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area