Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 10:25 AM

626 posts, read 754,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Hmmm... I cook my pork butts at 225°F for 10 hours - been doing it for twenty years.
Pork butts != ribs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 10:29 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Bowman View Post
Pork butts != ribs
lol - yep, I didn't see where ribs were mentioned in the second sentence - I thought the post was about pork butt. I cook my ribs for four hours as well.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:03 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
I have a Bradley electric smoker, so don't know how that compares to the one you have, but when I did my Boston butts I got a great bark from the smoker.
We did ribs this weekend in the Bradley and they turned out amazing....4 hours and they were perfect and falling off the bone.
The one I have is exactly like a Bradley, except it uses wood chips instead of pucks or pellets, although it would accept pellets.

This thing does a great job for what it is. I made smoked sausage biscuits for work this morning.

But the bark seems to come out much nicer on my wood smoker than this thing.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
lol - yep, I didn't see where ribs were mentioned in the second sentence - I thought the post was about pork butt. I cook my ribs for four hours as well.

Same here. 1.5 hrs open, bone side down to get the smoke. Then I do 2 hrs wrapped. Then another half hour open basting both sides every 15 minutes with my sauce.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:30 AM

39 posts, read 43,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Same here. 1.5 hrs open, bone side down to get the smoke. Then I do 2 hrs wrapped. Then another half hour open basting both sides every 15 minutes with my sauce.
How do you wrap them? Mine always turn out dry and that may solve my problem.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:09 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trace riggins View Post
How do you wrap them? Mine always turn out dry and that may solve my problem.
Are you grilling or BBQing? They shouldn't be dry if you're cooking at BBQ temps (225°F - 250°F) for four-five hours. The "wrapping" makes ribs fall-off-the-bone tender - something some folks don't care for. I usually wrap some of the ribs in foil during the last hour and a half of the cook and leave the rest unwrapped - that way everyone can find the texture they're looking for.

A final sear over high-heat before serving will add a bit of tasty char to the ribs and caramelize the glaze.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:16 AM

You wrap them with tinfoil. I typically place the ribs on the foil and wrap up tight. This will allow it to cook in its juices. By not wrapping you'll get a more firm ( and a little less moist) product. It's all in what you like. You need to stay at 225 or close and pull them when you notice the bones protruding about 1/2" from the meat to avoid drying them out.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:24 AM

65 posts, read 90,760 times
I wasn't getting a good smoke ring with my masterbuilt electric smoker so I'm going to try an AMNPS this weekend....supposed to to provide 11 hrs of smoke without refilling

Old 10-27-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaldo78 View Post
I wasn't getting a good smoke ring with my masterbuilt electric smoker so I'm going to try an AMNPS this weekend....supposed to to provide 11 hrs of smoke without refilling

I've got the same one. An AMNPS will work fine but you may not need it.

Couple of questions:

1) What were you smoking?
2) What temps and for how long?
3) What kind of wood were you using?
4) Was the meat wrapped at all?
5) How did you have the vent set? Open, closed, 1/2 open, etc.....

We may be able to help you out without need for buying an AMNPS. I tend to get a nice smoke ring on all my smokers as-is. Maybe you're doing something differently than I do.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:56 PM

39 posts, read 43,233 times
Quote:
Are you grilling or BBQing? They shouldn't be dry if you're cooking at BBQ temps (225°F - 250°F) for four-five hours. The "wrapping" makes ribs fall-off-the-bone tender - something some folks don't care for. I usually wrap some of the ribs in foil during the last hour and a half of the cook and leave the rest unwrapped - that way everyone can find the texture they're looking for.

A final sear over high-heat before serving will add a bit of tasty char to the ribs and caramelize the glaze.
I only grill. I have a long way to go with bbqing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area