Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 12:44 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,056,588 times

Advertisements

For those Sprint users, be on the look out for 4G. It started popping up the other day. If you go to sensorly.com you can see the crowd sourced maps. I started mapping out what I've found so far. The Hampton Cove area and on University Dr. around Madison Sq. Mall.

4G has not been officially announced for the Huntsville area yet, so your mileage may vary.

Basically, since sensorly.com uses crowd sourced mapping, it gives a much better indication of 3G and 4G coverage of the different carriers. However, it is only as good as people doing the crowd-sourcing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 12:45 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,206,645 times
I was getting 4G around Starbucks in Madison over a year ago, but the area of coverage was extremely limited.

Now if they would just improve their 3G coverage in outlying areas of Madison City and Athens I'd be all set since I'm still on a SERO plan.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
I was getting 4G around Starbucks in Madison over a year ago, but the area of coverage was extremely limited.
That old 4G would have been the WiMAX coverage that they started to test here, but never finished, due to changing over to LTE.

Quote:
Now if they would just improve their 3G coverage in outlying areas of Madison City and Athens I'd be all set since I'm still on a SERO plan.
I agree. Along County Line Rd and west of there is horrible.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:50 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,206,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
That old 4G would have been the WiMAX coverage that they started to test here, but never finished, due to changing over to LTE.
Yea, it was very sporadic at best, but when it worked it was incredibly fast. It still seems like whenever I go into any store my coverage just drops to nothing with Sprint. I usually am tempted at least once a week to cancel my Sprint contract and switch to Verizon, but for some reason I keep hanging on and putting up with the frustration.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Yea, it was very sporadic at best, but when it worked it was incredibly fast. It still seems like whenever I go into any store my coverage just drops to nothing with Sprint. I usually am tempted at least once a week to cancel my Sprint contract and switch to Verizon, but for some reason I keep hanging on and putting up with the frustration.
I feel the same way. However, Sprint has been very good to me, still has unlimited data. I avoid the big two as much as I can. So maybe be patient a little longer and see how extensive the 4G is. I know I've patient for far too long.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:24 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
Everybody that I know that has either tried sprint in the past few years or currently have it, hate it. Just last Friday I was with a friend that has sprint and his service in the middle of town was in and out. He said he pretty much has a glorified handheld apple clock that every once in a while he can use as a phone or if lucky get on the internet. He got so aggravated we stopped by verizon and looked at phones. It would be nice if they would get it together so we would have more competition because I feel ripped off every month when I pay my verizon bill......it has gotten way overpriced. In my opinion, sprint would do better by improving coverage area rather than adding 4G to what they currently have because honestly, their coverage sucks.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
In my opinion, sprint would do better by improving coverage area rather than adding 4G to what they currently have because honestly, their coverage sucks.
They are actually doing both.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:17 PM

458 posts, read 617,156 times
I had Sprint for about two weeks during the summer. I would have had it for a shorter period of time but it took a few days for my phone with Verizon to arrive. I've never experienced such horrible service (Sprint). I didn't get a signal downtown, at my work (RSA), and barely had a signal in my own house. Switched back to Verizon and everything is peachy again. Won't make that mistake again.

Actually, I have pageplus, not Verizon, but it operates on the same network and I pay half of what I used to for the same service.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:20 PM

34 posts, read 45,899 times
I caught 4G going over the mountain to Hampton Cove this weekend.

I got zero service at my house with Verizon and they treated me like garbage after over a dozen years of loyal business. I switched to Sprint, which uses the same cell network and while I also didn't get service here, Sprint loaned me a free femtocell so I have service at home. No network is perfect, but at least Sprint tried to make me happy, and they are cheaper.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:06 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,592,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
For those Sprint users, be on the look out for 4G. It started popping up the other day. If you go to sensorly.com you can see the crowd sourced maps. I started mapping out what I've found so far. The Hampton Cove area and on University Dr. around Madison Sq. Mall.

4G has not been officially announced for the Huntsville area yet, so your mileage may vary.

Basically, since sensorly.com uses crowd sourced mapping, it gives a much better indication of 3G and 4G coverage of the different carriers. However, it is only as good as people doing the crowd-sourcing.
Does that map change hour to hour? I just looked at that map. The only place I see Sprint-4G coverage is
Governors Drive from the Monte Sano Blvd to Hampton Cove. There is nothing shown anywhere else in Huntsville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area