Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 11:59 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegaeBusRider View Post
Ironically, Madison has the largest per capital tax base and is raising taxes. Are you getting a bullet train or something? Lol
Unlike Huntsville, Madison has practically zero industrial base to tax, and not nearly the retail base, either. Here in Decatur, much of our industry was specifically excluded from city property taxes (not school taxes, though).
Of course, people who work here and live elsewhere tend to contribute very little to our sales tax collections.
There's a reason all the cities surrounding Huntsville keep crying "buy local!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 12:14 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
FAL50 - IMO an apology is not needed. Your comments were within the bounds of a local tax discussion. You live here, however comparing the rates in your previous locale to here should be OK. Discussing the reasons for the tax differences is instructive, too.

Remember that some commenters here probably support Di Rupo's policies.
^^^ THIS !!!

I, for one, appreciate FAL50's comment. He reminded us just how far a government can go with taxing its citizens if we allow it.

In this specific case, I think the City of Madison is justified in raising taxes as long as it is being used wisely to improve roads & capital projects in Madison. People choose to live in the City of Madison because of its quality of life & quality of its education, etc. Being a small city if the city council does not do the wishes of its citizens, then we will vote the ba$tid$ out.

Fortunately the near by city, Huntsville, is not bad either so we are not facing an extreme contrast between the two cities.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:15 PM

295 posts, read 442,177 times
I'm not going to change where or how I shop over 1%. I like Lowe's better than Home Depot so that's where I go. I'd rather have a poke in the eye with a sharp stick that go to any Walmart, but about 3 times a year I end up in one. The location on Hwy. 20 is closest so that's usually the one I end up in. Other than that, I don't really think about city lines and the difference in taxes that much.

This topic reminds me of a family friend who always plans a big family trip every summer then claims he'll have to cancel because gas is up 3% over last year. Um, if that percentage is going to make such a huge difference, maybe he shouldn't be making the trip anyway? Once 1% starts truly impacting my budget, I'll likely stop shopping before I make a point to drive to other jurisdictions to shop.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:59 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
...For Madison residents to be upset that they are paying a 1/2 cent more is asinine...
Count me as one of the asinine ones. The absolute maximum is 100 and every 1/2 gets us that much closer to it . Add up all the taxes/fees you pay and get back to me about how asinine I am.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:31 PM

513 posts, read 867,823 times
Greatest thing about America is we can spend our money how we choose and where we please. I am in an American and live in Madison, and if I want to be vocal about something, and I'm giving a forum to do so. I WILL DO IT.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:42 PM

513 posts, read 867,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt grinder View Post
count me as one of the asinine ones. The absolute maximum is 100 and every 1/2 gets us that much closer to it . Add up all the taxes/fees you pay and get back to me about how asinine i am.
:d

Old 11-04-2013, 04:42 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Count me as one of the asinine ones. The absolute maximum is 100 and every 1/2 gets us that much closer to it . Add up all the taxes/fees you pay and get back to me about how asinine I am.
I couldn't agree more. Every time they increase a tax or a fee, people will say "It is only 1/2 %" or it is only "$10." Well 1/2% here, $10 there......where does it stop?

Most people do not realize that around 50% of their income ends up going to taxes and governmental fees. Stop and think about all of the taxes and fees you already pay: car tags, taxes and fees on phone bill and cable bill, sales tax, federal income tax, state income tax, property tax, etc. What percentage is the "it's only 1/2%" club willing to pay?

Old 11-04-2013, 06:32 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,277,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
What percentage is the "it's only 1/2%" club willing to pay?
Well since I just bought that house in the city limits, I guess at least 1/2% more. I realize I am coming in late on this thread, I was out of town, throwing my money at Destin and Seaside, FL for a few days. They have an Arts and Entertainment 1% tax on everything and somehow no one has burned that place to the ground yet.

At least I am getting my roads done.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:46 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,083,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post
Well since I just bought that house in the city limits, I guess at least 1/2% more. I realize I am coming in late on this thread, I was out of town, throwing my money at Destin and Seaside, FL for a few days. They have an Arts and Entertainment 1% tax on everything and somehow no one has burned that place to the ground yet.

At least I am getting my roads done.

Being that reasonable and easy to get along with could get you into deep do do.

raj

Old 11-04-2013, 07:02 PM

458 posts, read 617,006 times
Every state and jurisdiction gets its money in its own way. The income tax here is moderate. Go to CA and pay 10% or go to Florida and pay nothing. The sales tax here is on the high side of moderate. Property taxes are uber low. Car tags are towards the top. In the ends I figure it's all a wash. Unless you are in CA. Then you are just hosed. Every tax there is high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area