Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 09:13 PM

764 posts, read 1,107,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Well actually I don't have time to count the stores but if you do you will understand that you don't seem to know the city. (I do know both cities well and enjoy visiting both often)

Chattanooga is a southern urban crossroads. I think you mistake industrial areas for blight. There is nothing in Chattanooga like the north side of Huntsville, especially that section of 72 where all the pros work the motels. (yes I accidently encountered that)

In downtown Huntsville, I will walk at night but I don't feel too safe south of the spring, mainly because there are hardly any people out. In Chattanooga , even on Sunday nights after a late dinner I might walk to the north shore or ten blocks back to my car.

Chattanooga is just an older city that has developed a nicely dense urban core that is rapidly gentrifying. It has and continues to accomplish what most cities seem to be wanting now.
They also have the largest and I would say most efficient electric bus transit systems in the country.

But this is not about what you and I see or want it is about the OP. Let's let him make the judgements.

Have a nice night,

raj
I can understand you having some concerns about the western edge of downtown Huntsville near the Von Braun Center where the last remnants of public housing remain and basically it is a barren field behind the Von Braun, however in the original downtown, it is quite the opposite. In fact the most affluent neighborhood in the Tennessee Valley begins just a couple of blocks east of the courthouse square. Most homes there go for $1 million and up. The blocks near the courthouse square have been fixed up and there are both apartment and condo living options there. Just south of the downtown area near the Huntsville Hospital complex, the mixed use Twickenham Square is under construction and will include apartments, office space, a Homewood Suites Hotel and a Publix grocery store.

While I agree that Chattanooga is also a very attractive area and has the uniqueness of views of Lookout Mountain and other mountains right at the Tennessee River, Huntsville is definitely a more affluent community as it is rated as having one of the highest average incomes in the Southeast due to the number of jobs related to defense and aerospace. You would probably get different opinion of Huntsville if you visited the Hampton Cove area and Jones Valley area. You mentioned North Huntsville as being an impoverished are that there is not an equivalent of in Chattanooga. While I am not familiar with the poorer sections of Chattanooga, I will say that a lot of the NW part of Huntsville is off the beaten path, but that being said there are parts of North West Huntsville which are doing well - The University of Alabama in Huntsville with the adjacent Cummings Research Park (which has over 25,000 workers) with its growing Hudson Alpha Institute of Biotechnology are all technically in NW Huntsville.

Another area you should check out is the Village of Providence which is located about a mile west of Research Park off University Drive. Providence looks like a perfect Disney Village and is a complete mini-city with offices, restaurants, hotels, shops, single family homes(on small lots), Loft condos, and apartments with a greenway along a creek in the center.

Chattanooga as has been mentioned earlier is the crossroads of the south with Atlanta, Nashville and the Great Smoky Mountains all within a two hour drive, so it has an advantage from that respect, but I would say that Huntsville has more of an educated, professional population and the landscape of the city reflects that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 09:47 PM

168 posts, read 311,036 times
I would vote Chattanooga. Access to everything outdoors is better, the city actually feels like a city, housing costs are better than Huntsville (taxes are similar), and the climate is the same as Huntsville but with far less tornado risk. Fun things to do in Atlanta, Nashville, Birmingham, and Knoxville/Smoky Mountains are only 2 hours away.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:56 PM

304 posts, read 266,359 times
I think Huntsville is as good as Nooga for outdoors stuff, especially hiking. Monte Sano is similar to Lookout Mountain but without the tourists.

I think the bad tornado that came up thru alabama a few years ago did more damage around Nooga than Hville.

Hville is kind of hard to get to from the east coast though, no direct interstate from Atlanta.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:16 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
...progressive government...
Now, what on earth does that mean to you?

Old 11-12-2013, 10:46 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,034,158 times
The two cities feel different. Both are good, just different.

Edited to add: All stuff below this was written when I had forgotten the title of this thread. derp de derp.

For "vibrant" and all that other stuff, Nashville. If the 50-60 degrees in winter is the most important, Houston. If the word "small" should have preceeded the word "city," Huntsville or Albuquerque.

Or Jacksonville, FL.

Edited again to add: No bugs in summer...the moon?

Edited again, cause, hey, why not: Huntsville is more economically robust than Chattanooga as long as we keep up the perma-war. And I don't expect the Afghanis to start loving us any time soon, and I know we sure aren't walking away from all that lithium. Also, I don't see Chattanooga making it onto the best of the best of the best lists...ever.

Last edited by CoreLysium; 11-12-2013 at 10:54 PM..

Old 11-12-2013, 11:03 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
These are two great cities and very easy to live in either. In terms of retirement the cities offer many activities, parks, scenery, and options. In comparison, the cities matchup like this:

Shopping: Chattanooga has a diverse array of shopping centers, two malls, and a vibrant downtown. However, Huntsville is the larger, cleaner city and is growing much faster with many planned retail shopping centers and residential developments. Both cities are lacking high end retail, however. Given H&M's surprise store in Huntsville, it leads me to believe more things are in store for the area. Where is Macy's?

Downtown: Not even close. Chattanooga's is more urban, developed, and offers beautiful views of Lookout Mountain and the Tennessee River. Huntsville could use more urban development, much more.

Mass Transit: Chattanooga's bus system is well developed and green. The city even offers a bicycle transit system in which patrons can rent bikes at any of the city's 30 stations.

Interstate Access: Chattanooga has three compared to Huntsville's one. However, traffic is worse in Chattanooga, especially around rush hour. Even with three interstates, Chattanooga's road network is severely outdated compared to Tennessee's other major cities. Both cities could use much more investment in interstate access.

Diversity: Neither city is particularly diverse, but Chattanooga is more so.

Economy: Huntsville is growing by leaps and bounds. New industry includes many government research contracts, tech companies, and engineering research which are very high paying jobs. Retail, as mentioned, is also expanding. Chattanooga's growth has stagnated, and the city heavily depends on tourism and retail sales for its economic stability. However, the healthcare and healthcare insurance industries and manufacturing facilities are also huge parts of the economic growth in the region. Chattanooga has the higher incomes (old money), whereas Huntsville has more transplants (new money). Chattanooga does have a crime and homeless problem, though.

People: Huntsville seemed nicer and welcoming with a can-do attitude. The city is poised for growth and development (and the residents know it) whereas Chattanooga seemed more conservative and a bit behind the times. This was based on first impressions, although I have visited Chattanooga many more times than Huntsville.

Conclusion: Either city is an excellent choice for retirement (everyday living retirement). Each has its pros and cons, too. Huntsville is a city on the move with a history rich in Aerospace and Defense industries, a historically black university, and a host of other attractions in a peaceful setting. Chattanooga saw urban and industrial development several years before Huntsville, but has had difficulty transitioning to the next level of midsize cities. Starting with downtown, Chattanooga, has invested millions in transforming a rundown sketchy environment to a vibrant area with apartments, condos, museums, food, and retail. The transformation has been nothing short of amazing. However, Huntsville is focusing on all areas of the city, something Chattanooga needs to do to match its downtown to the rest of the city. Both cities could learn from none other than Asheville, NC, a college town rich in history, attractions, developments new and old. It is a retiree's oasis. Savannah, GA, and Charleston, SC, also come to mind for retirees (destination retirement).

Old 11-12-2013, 11:09 PM

Greenville SC has some similiarities to Nooga and Huntsville as well. Have 3 nice lakes to the west near Clemson University.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelham3 View Post
Greenville SC has some similiarities to Nooga and Huntsville as well. Have 3 nice lakes to the west near Clemson University.
Greenville has a vibrant downtown - Huntsville and Chattanooga can't touch Greenville's Main Street.

BTW - I just spent the past weekend in Greenville .

Old 11-13-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Greenville has a vibrant downtown - Huntsville and Chattanooga can't touch Greenville's Main Street.

BTW - I just spent the past weekend in Greenville .
well I was comparing the overall cities more than the downtown areas.

I think Huntsville has a nice downtown, it has more of a village vibe to it. Really just needs a way to draw more people down there. It is odd how some cities do that and others don't. I guess part of it with Huntsville is the employers locate out on the Research Park or Redstone.

Greenville's is definitely a nice one. They did a nice job with that Falls Park and bridge thing.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:22 AM

Quote:
...I think Huntsville has a nice downtown, it has more of a village vibe to it...
Ooookay... If your idea of a village is a behemoth 60's style, uninteresting building surrounded by lots of... well, nothing.
Quote:
Greenville's is definitely a nice one. They did a nice job with that Falls Park and bridge thing.
Wait... "bridge thing?" You have been to downtown Greenville, right? Their downtown restaurant scene is unrivaled - Wow, I'm surprised you didn't mention the restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area