Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 11:45 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Oh? Would you like for Islamic Sharia to become the basis for U. S. law?
*sigh* Saying that gov't has to stay out of religion is a non-sequitur.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:53 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
*sigh* Saying that gov't has to stay out of religion is a non-sequitur .
No. Your personal religious freedom in the USA absolutely depends on government staying out of it. It may not hinder your religion or help it.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
No. Your personal religious freedom in the USA absolutely depends on government staying out of it. It may not hinder your religion or help it.
Your theophobia is showing... Creationism isn't an organized religion. You might want to familarize yourself with the first two paragraphs the Declaration of Independence. Declaration of Independence - Text Transcript

Old 01-22-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Your theophobia is showing... Creationism isn't an organized religion. You might want to familarize yourself with the first two paragraphs the Declaration of Independence. Declaration of Independence - Text Transcript
Creationism is a religious idea. I have never called it a religion. The founders of this country were religious people for the most part. However, they ultimately decided that it was best for the USA not to have a state supported religion. They knew all to well the grief that can cause. So after you read the Declaration of Independence you might want to read the Constitution.

Would you like the Federal government to tell you that you must include evolution in your church school teachings, even if your church rejects the Theory?

Old 01-22-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Creationism is a religious idea. I have never called it a religion. The founders of this country were religious people for the most part. However, they ultimately decided that it was best for the USA not to have a state supported religion. They knew all to well the grief that can cause. So after you read the Declaration of Independence you might want to read the Constitution.
You are conflating two separate issues. There are religious ideas all of this government. Prayers are said before many gov't functions. Bibles are sworn over. Look at your money and many gov't buildings.

Quote:
Would you like the Federal government to tell you that you must include evolution in your church school teachings, even if your church rejects the Theory?
Another non sequitor.

So why can't creation be taught again?

BTW, a point of reference, while I believe in creation, I DON'T believe in a young earth.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:15 PM

339 posts, read 628,925 times
Quote:
So why can't creation be taught again?
First, because it does not fit the requirements to be taught in a science class.

Second, because if you start teaching one religious idea, then you have to teach them all. Otherwise you are forcing students to learn about a specific religion which violates the Constitution.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:16 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,744 times
I'd say creationist beliefs could be taught as social studies along with the beliefs of other world religions.

But it doesn't have a place in science class.

Joshua also "stopped the sun in the sky" in the Bible but that doesn't mean you teach Geocentrism in science class.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:19 PM

339 posts, read 628,925 times
I agree, a study of world religions and their impact on the world should definitely be in schools as an elective, if not part of history. An unbiased look at the history of Christianity and Islam at a minimum is important to understanding history.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeWilliams View Post
I agree, a study of world religions and their impact on the world should definitely be in schools as an elective, if not part of history. An unbiased look at the history of Christianity and Islam at a minimum is important to understanding history.
Exactly. In fact, how could you study world history at all and not include religion in it?

However, the Cook museum appears to be a fairly blatant attempt to further the goal of getting religious creationism accepted as "science."

Old 01-22-2014, 01:26 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
...I have not called you a fool. I would expect the same courtesy from you. You disappoint me.
LOL - I'm thinking you are being a bit defensive.

If you'll actually read my post you'll notice I never called you a fool. I presented the definition of a fool and it was directed at how students are being taught in public schools. The secular teaching principles have created a generation of self-centered students with no understanding of the beliefs of others.

Todays mantra seems to be "My way or the highway."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area