Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 12:25 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,579,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
Just for scale, here is the Walmart Supercenter at Redstone Rd pasted onto Charity Lane.

It only now occurred to me, this probably means a few more stores and maybe a bank showing up too.
Yes the outparcles will be more intersting, as well as the other business'es that will come wanting to feed off of Wal Mart traffic. This will have a big impact on the Fayetteville TN store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 04:28 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,289 times
This will have a big impact on Griner's if it's a supercenter.

I honestly don't want a Walmart there, but I'll take the Zaxby's or Chick-fil-A that comes with it.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:55 PM

74 posts, read 233,450 times
It is very very official. My friends son works at the utilities and showed me the site plans and blueprints for the store. It is going to be a 160,000 square foot supercenter with a fuel station on the corner, 4 commercial lots in front of the store (for hopefully a good quality restaurant & a few other small businesses), customizations to the traffic signal there and roadwork on Charity Lane, and over 650 parking spaces. This is the biggest thing to happen to Hazel Green, since well, ever.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:45 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,592,793 times
LDI Projects
Walmart #6878 (Hazel Green AL)
Bid date: Feb 18, 2014 (3:00 PM)
Project location 14595 Hwy 231, Hazel Green, AL
Project size (sq. ft.) more than 100,000

Old 02-17-2014, 02:52 PM

New article: http://blog.al.com/breaking/2014/02/...ims_to_ri.html

Old 02-19-2014, 12:16 PM

18 posts, read 23,528 times
They are adding 3 accesses into Walmart from Charity Lane, widening a 3rd lane to the field side, but only as far as the 3rd entry and will flow into the turn that's already there at the light. The 3rd entry is for 18-wheelers to off-load at the back of the store. Two entrances will be off the parkway. No additional traffic lights are to be added. There will be a gas station and 4 other stores/restaurants, but they couldn't tell us which ones. They did no traffic studies on Charity Lane, which means it will get worse. Bids need to be in by March 3rd and building to start ASAP in March and usually takes approximately 9 months to complete. Road work to begin 1st. They did say they will look into the traffic problems and concerns on Charity. Maybe changing traffic light timers and possibly adding arrows for alternating turns.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:28 PM

"They did say they will look into the traffic problems and concerns on Charity. Maybe changing traffic light timers and possibly adding arrows for alternating turns."

That is walmarts standard answer, just plug in the name of the street/road/highway that will be overloaded and hope for the best.
And if aldont is involved, which they would be, then forget it. A study of traffic patterns would have to be done and that will tak a decade maybe two.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:07 PM

My prediction is it will take two deaths before the intersection is changed.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:46 PM

493 posts, read 713,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
"They did say they will look into the traffic problems and concerns on Charity. Maybe changing traffic light timers and possibly adding arrows for alternating turns."

That is walmarts standard answer, just plug in the name of the street/road/highway that will be overloaded and hope for the best.
And if aldont is involved, which they would be, then forget it. A study of traffic patterns would have to be done and that will tak a decade maybe two.
Hi AU HSV, *Please note I am not taking a jab at you* but I would like to know why you think a traffic pattern study of that area would take up to 20 long years? That is a very long time for something like that. The City of Madison has changed dramatically and extensively in the past 20 years (going back to 1993-1994). On HWY 72 in the Madison area commercial development has changed very dramatically and extensively since 1993. There is also much, much more traffic in that area than there was back then. I've lived in Madison since the late 1980's and traveled that area frequently 20 years ago-it's absolutely nothing like it was back then. I kind of miss it because back then I could actually drive through there on a Saturday without being jammed up in traffic.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needtosellmyhome View Post
Hi AU HSV, *Please note I am not taking a jab at you* but I would like to know why you think a traffic pattern study of that area would take up to 20 long years? That is a very long time for something like that. The City of Madison has changed dramatically and extensively in the past 20 years (going back to 1993-1994). On HWY 72 in the Madison area commercial development has changed very dramatically and extensively since 1993. There is also much, much more traffic in that area than there was back then. I've lived in Madison since the late 1980's and traveled that area frequently 20 years ago-it's absolutely nothing like it was back then. I kind of miss it because back then I could actually drive through there on a Saturday without being jammed up in traffic.
sarcasm, aldont is famous for delays, inaction and excuses not to do improvements, especially in North Alabama. Huntsville's 1960 era road system is pathetic. Highway 231/431 a Federal highway should be a controlled access 6 lane freeway at least to the state line. Instead we have a disaster of stop lights, turn lanes (or lack of), poor lighting, zero signage. And all of this in the second largest metro in the state and one of the fastest growing. Bypasses should have been built around Meridianville and the giant used car lot known as Hazel Green. More traffic doesn't equal improved roads.
If you lived in Madison you should be well aware of poor road infrastructure,. It's taken 15 years just to get a simple interchange improvement at I-565/County line. How long have they talked about widening University through Madison. Why has Mayor Battle have to add a tax to fund road projects that the state has promised for 25 years? Because the state has zero interest in doing them.
It now sounds like any improvements to Charity will be the counties responsibility, but we have seen how difficult it is to get funding.

Last edited by AU HSV; 02-20-2014 at 06:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area