Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 07:19 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,034,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
You mean that frankenfood, pseudo corn?
I don't really worry about the GM stuff. But I'd wager that all the fertility issues the US is having probably have a lot to do with the atrazine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 08:02 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,123,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
I don't really worry about the GM stuff. But I'd wager that all the fertility issues the US is having probably have a lot to do with the atrazine.
Prob not just atrazine... all the pesticides, herbicides, etc.. cumulative.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:22 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times
Quote:
Like bmrisko said... fairly common knowledge that stuff was there, just not the details but, there's a big part of me that says let sleeping dogs lie... I don't like the idea of them digging the stuff up and messing around with it and then saying.... "oops".....
This is all fine until the chemicals leak into the drinking water supply system. Then it leaks into the Tennessee river. It is no longer a Restone isolated problem. In case you are wondering, no; chlorine alone or water filter will not get rid of them.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:49 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
This is all fine until the chemicals leak into the drinking water supply system. Then it leaks into the Tennessee river. It is no longer a Restone isolated problem. In case you are wondering, no; chlorine alone or water filter will not get rid of them.

Yes I've lived here for several years and know much about the history of the arsenal, but I just didn't realize the extent of the amount of buried chemical and non chemical munitions there. It's not something to panic over but certainly it's something worth paying attention to, no one knows for sure what the long term effect or problem will be if they are just left to sit there forever for decade after decade. I wouldn't just look at it like oh well they have been there forever so nothing bad can ever happen, that's how major catastrophes occur when we don't take potential future threats and problems seriously, that would be a foolish thing to do. We don't know if letting them be buried there for 50 more years if there is a chance something serious could go wrong and the chemicals start leaking into water and other crucial areas, better safe than sorry.

Last edited by Huntsville_secede; 03-25-2014 at 02:09 PM..

Old 03-25-2014, 04:04 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,416,504 times
Quote:
This is all fine until the chemicals leak into the drinking water supply system. Then it leaks into the Tennessee river.
News flash: The Tennessee River IS our drinking water supply system.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Oh, I know. It's 6 of 1, half dozen of the other. Have to do something, I agree. I just don't know if I trust their handling of it either. Sticky Wicket.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Oh, I know. It's 6 of 1, half dozen of the other. Have to do something, I agree. I just don't know if I trust their handling of it either. Sticky Wicket.
This happens a lot all over the country. Take the West side San Fernando Valley in LA, California for example. On top of Santa Susana mountain there is a D.O.E. site that they used to test nuclear stuff & they burried the 55 gal drums of radiative waste all over the mountain. Back then there was no EPA regulations and only the bikers, hippies & oulaws hang out there. Well, 50 years later that place is populated with multi-million dollar homes & there are over one million people live in the SF Valley. One day the local paper published that they detected traces of radioactive waste in the ground water. All hell broke loose. Now it is a part of EPA Superfund sites.

That's why if you are from LA, you don't drink the tap water!

Old 03-25-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
News flash: The Tennessee River IS our drinking water supply system.
Reckon it is for Decatur

Old 03-26-2014, 06:23 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,034,427 times
Quote:
Reckon it is for Decatur
Yes, very much so. And Huntsville is glad to be upriver from your chemical plants.

And while most of HSV is served by the TN river for water, if you get further north, like where I live, it's well water. My tap water stays the same, year round, even when the river 'turns over.'

Also, the reason I mention atrazine specifically is because at 30 ppb it can spontaneously change a frog from a male to a female. A farmer I've talked to said "You're daughter is fine, but I'd worry about any sons." Because a common birth defect is, uh, well, not totally male. It's basically a really super potent endocrine disruptor...that you can buy off Amazon.com.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
"You're daughter is fine,

I wouldn't bet on that either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area