Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 08:11 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,015,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
If you are really worried get a shelter. You might never need it but it will give you peace of mind.
^^This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 08:11 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,394,558 times
We live in Texas, and have far more tornados than AL. Here is some suggestions. If building new, put a 'safe room' in the house, generally used as a pantry (door opens in, reinforced walls and ceiling). If buying an existing home, you can put a storm cellar in the garage floor. An alternative is a storm room in the garage. This is a small free-standing room that looks like a storage container, bolted to the floor. It will hold up to most tornados.

Now, reality check. We have lived in 'tornado alley' for decades and never been hit by a tornado. We have had far more damage from hail storms. Not like Oklahoma. Most tornados you will encounter are F-0 to F-2, and those can be ridden out in a bathroom. The odds of getting hit by a tornado is similar to getting hit by lightning. Just keep aware and don't let the fear get to you.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:19 PM

458 posts, read 612,608 times
I think earthquakes and hurricanes are worse, although I've only lived here 1.5 years so maybe I'll change my mind at some point. I am from out west and lived through a few earthquakes. The most recent one I remember knocked things off the counter and left cracks all over the house. I also lived in Florida for a few years and survived a couple of hurricanes. Tornadoes have such narrow paths that the probability of getting hit by one is slim. Hurricanes and earthquakes hit everyone.

As for the shelters in the garage... we thought about putting one in our new construction but opted against it because 1) the chances of actually needing it are slim and 2) if we ever did need it, I didn't want to be "safely" buried under ten feet of rubble.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:32 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,223,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post
if we ever did need it, I didn't want to be "safely" buried under ten feet of rubble.
This is why I will not go into one of those underground shelters That thought terrifies me!

Old 04-09-2014, 08:53 PM

151 posts, read 293,725 times
When you get a storm shelter you can register with the local EMA so that they know to check on you if there is a destructive storm

Madison, AL - Official Website

Old 04-10-2014, 01:52 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,748,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobo View Post
When you get a storm shelter you can register with the local EMA so that they know to check on you if there is a destructive storm...
Hopefully it works better than the "Do Not Call Registry."

Old 04-10-2014, 06:41 AM

410 posts, read 686,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post
2) if we ever did need it, I didn't want to be "safely" buried under ten feet of rubble.
I think it's slightly better to be in a shelter under ten feet of rubble than to have the teen feet of rubble on top of you. Pack it with water and food, register it, let your family and neighbors know you have one.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:59 AM

1,418 posts, read 1,568,563 times
Gary Dobbs reported on the April 2011 tornado from his front porch in Mount Hope. When the tornado looked like it was getting too close he decided to cut through his home to get to his storm shelter out back. When he realized he was not going to make it he took shelter in a closet. He was lucky to survive because his home came apart around him. Afterwards he was surprised to hear people calling for help. Some people had taken refuge in his storm shelter and had become trapped. He helped rescue them.

The people that were trapped in Gary Dobbs storm shelter had a much better chance of surviving than he had. It helped that he took refuge in the safest place in his home he knew of but still he was lucky to be alive.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:12 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,188,164 times
OP, are you moving from Salt Lake City valley? IMO, the winter inversions are a more constant threat than tornadoes. Heed the safety advice and precautions posted, but try to keep it in perspective.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:26 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,015,869 times
To stay safe from the weather here, the number one thing to remember is hydrate, hydrate, hydrate (when it's hot.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area