Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,105 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Michigan to Huntsville, and I currently have DISH and AT&T, but I'm looking to get them bundled. What's down companies service the area? Thanks in advanced for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 08:56 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,264,726 times
Depends on what area you are in. Dish, DirectTv, Comcast, Knology (now WOW), Charter, AT&T are all in the area in various places.

You can pretty much get AT&T and the satellite companies anywhere. The cable companies will have specific territories they service.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:41 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Many of the ones LCTMadison listed have bundles too. The only complaint I have heard from friends and family are that the satellite can go out during heavy rain..

Old 04-14-2014, 06:55 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,012 times
What they said. You could keep your exact service. If you're moving into Huntsville or Madison proper. If you get on the outskirts, Harvest/Meridianville/Hazel Green, then your options get limited really quickly.

My personal opinion, as Keeper mentioned, Dishes don't do well with severe weather. And you might want to have TV during severe weather. Just rain can mess it up, but if the wind makes it shake, you got nothin'. I did dish for a few years in the early 00's. Never again.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:58 AM

266 posts, read 396,790 times
Like folks said your cable service will depend on where you live. There are some places that are serviced by both Comcast and Knology (WoW). It is a crap shoot on quality of service though, Comcast here is like Comcast anywhere. The wife and I have triple play, but are probably goign to drop the land line when we move. The only people that call us on the land line are bill collectors for people that used to have that phone number or somehow that number has gotten around. I can count on one hand the number of times the phone has rang for either my wife or I.

Internet through Comcast is ok and no better or worse than Time Warner High Speed Internet or Verizon FiOS internet. It works, is available, and speeds are generally as adverstised, but then again as with all "services" in this country, your mileage will vary.

Television through Comcast for my wife and I is generally worse than the service we had with Time Warner back home. The DVR operating system just plain sucks. The DVR hardware is an exercise in frustration to work with. We have been her less than one year I we are on our 4th DVR box. And no we don't have the X1 service, last I checked they were only offering that to new subscribers.

At the end of the day your service is going to depend on where you live. Service in Hunstville is no better or worse than service anywhere else in the country. If you live where people live then you should be good to go. If you live further out in the sticks then your choices are limited and your service can be spotty.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:55 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,263 times
Quick note on the X1: It ain't all that its cracked up to be, and its more expensive. Some people are having serious issues with theirs.

I haven't had any issues with the newer dvrs. Some of the older ones were terrible though.

For anyone moving here, my best advice is to call those companys individually and see if they provide service in the neighborhood(s) you are looking at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: