Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 03:23 PM

331 posts, read 511,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Knology is no longer Knology...
It is hard to not call them Knology after so many years of service. Or cu-nology as some of us older farts like to say.

Regards
Huffbuffer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 03:04 PM

252 posts, read 321,085 times
It looks like we have another choice in Huntsville now. Anyone have experience with Uverse? Is TV as good as cable?

AT&T U-verse Arrives in Huntsville

Old 06-12-2013, 03:10 PM

8 posts, read 13,009 times
My in-laws in Birmingham have U-Verse and while there were some neat features on the TV side, it was S....L....O....W. Like press a button on the remote, wait 5 seconds, then it works. The previously had Charter Internet and Dish Network for TV and I can say that their Internet was noticeably slower as well. They were getting a good price though and where happy with that but I'm sure it's a 6-12 month deal that will double after it expires.

In all, I would wait for Comcast X1 (or X2) to come to HSV and skip the U-Verse experience unless that's the only choice you have. Know that with U-Verse, your Internet speed will depend on the number of TVs you have active and whether they are watching HD or not. The same pipe feeds your TV bandwidth as your Internet bandwidth so they affect each other, with TV taking the priority.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:28 PM

152 posts, read 240,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggaeBusRider View Post
It looks like we have another choice in Huntsville now. Anyone have experience with Uverse? Is TV as good as cable?

AT&T U-verse Arrives in Huntsville
That's Huntsville, TEXAS I don't think U-Verse is available at all in Huntsville (I don't know anybody who has it, and I know it's not available in my subdivision)

Old 06-12-2013, 07:01 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,559 times
We have AT&T U-Verse in Madison...Knology (WOW!) service actually ended a few houses down from ours and they said it could be 6+ months before the run the cables to the rest of our street, so our only option for now was U-Verse. So far I am pleased with it except the internet speeds are slightly lower than I would have hoped for. We average around 12-13 Mbps DL and am paying for the top tier, which is advertised at 18 Mbps, but obviously that can never be achieved once you factor in the TV viewing and shared connections. The amount of shows and movies available On Demand is also nice and the wireless control boxes are pretty cool. Anyways, I do have to say I was beyond impressed with the techs who came to install everything and they came back and got our cables buried within 2 days and I was quoted 2-3 weeks.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:32 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,277,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
We have AT&T U-Verse in Madison...Knology (WOW!) service actually ended a few houses down from ours and they said it could be 6+ months before the run the cables to the rest of our street, so our only option for now was U-Verse. So far I am pleased with it except the internet speeds are slightly lower than I would have hoped for. We average around 12-13 Mbps DL and am paying for the top tier, which is advertised at 18 Mbps, but obviously that can never be achieved once you factor in the TV viewing and shared connections. The amount of shows and movies available On Demand is also nice and the wireless control boxes are pretty cool. Anyways, I do have to say I was beyond impressed with the techs who came to install everything and they came back and got our cables buried within 2 days and I was quoted 2-3 weeks.
Yeah, we have the medium WOW! Service, I have never gotten more than 3Mbps. Ever.

They have been out here and given me some song and dance, I was hoping with WOW! maybe it would get better somehow? But I doubt it.

When I move to the new house, that neighborhood only has WOW!, so I will be stuck with overpaying for slower internet.

Remember when we tried to get Google Fiber? Yeah, that was a fun day and a half...

Old 06-12-2013, 07:52 PM

944 posts, read 1,185,697 times
We can only get WOW here in Lake Forest (for now) & while we pay for top speed it's medium/mediocre at best :-(

Old 06-12-2013, 08:49 PM

458 posts, read 616,934 times
Agreed. I have the most expensive WOW/Knology internet and it's super slow in the afternoon. Blazing fast during the day when everyone is at work though.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:33 AM

90 posts, read 187,792 times
I have WOW internet as well, no complaints here. I live in Monrovia next to Providence. Speed is consistent for me I have the 12mbit package, I get 11.80mbits. If you're experiencing slow downs I highly recommend that you get a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem. DOCSIS 3.0 cable modems give you more consistent download and upload speed.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:42 AM

331 posts, read 511,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ270 View Post
I have WOW internet as well, no complaints here. I live in Monrovia next to Providence. Speed is consistent for me I have the 12mbit package, I get 11.80mbits. If you're experiencing slow downs I highly recommend that you get a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem. DOCSIS 3.0 cable modems give you more consistent download and upload speed.
I may try just that. I am very disappointed in the speeds Wowology provides. On a side note...how long before ISP's cap data as a standard much like cell phone providers are doing now? I am still holding on to my Verizon unlimited plan and I used the heck out of it in hopes someone at Verizon sees my data that they cant charge me for. I know some ISP's are starting to do this, but with the upcoming XBox One and the idea it possesses, I wonder if our providers are looking to profit from this.

Regards
Huffbuffer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area