Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 06:37 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FayettevilletoHuntsville View Post
I don't think this would be as bad as you think it would be.

I would also prefer for the weeds to be killed off or removed before the sod was laid down but if you hire a chemical treatment company to treat the lawn and the weeds that will eventually take care of them as well as any more weeds that pop in.

And if you want better soil then it would actually work in your favor to put the new sod on top of the old (dead) sod because sod usually has better soil in it than the soil (or dirt) it's layed on top of. Sod already has soil in it from the sod farm.

From my understanding NO (or very few) home builders are having their landscapers do that and my builder did not have that done, they just leveled the lot and laid the Bermuda sod on what was already there. My Bermuda grass is very healthy now because I hired a chemical treatment company that fertilizes it and treats the weeds.

Thats why I said it was a mixed blessing. The only issue is the weeds. And some weeds, specifically dalisgrass, is very hard to control, and I have some of that in my lawn.

Plan is for me to pull the larger weeds out in the next few days. The smaller one's will get killed by lack of sunlight once they put the sod down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 07:31 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Thats why I said it was a mixed blessing. The only issue is the weeds. And some weeds, specifically dalisgrass, is very hard to control, and I have some of that in my lawn.

Plan is for me to pull the larger weeds out in the next few days. The smaller one's will get killed by lack of sunlight once they put the sod down.

Yes, that dalisgrass is the devil!

We had several patches of it and the hubs tried absolutely everything and NOTHING worked. So this year, he dug up the patches of it, root & all, spread sand in the bare spots left behind, and watered the heck out of it. The Bermuda has spread nicely and all the bare spots are totally filled in now. Should have done it a long time ago. The key is water, water, water so the Bermuda can spread. Also helped that we had a relatively wet spring.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
Yes, that dalisgrass is the devil!

We had several patches of it and the hubs tried absolutely everything and NOTHING worked. So this year, he dug up the patches of it, root & all, spread sand in the bare spots left behind, and watered the heck out of it. The Bermuda has spread nicely and all the bare spots are totally filled in now. Should have done it a long time ago. The key is water, water, water so the Bermuda can spread. Also helped that we had a relatively wet spring.
Pretty much what I've read about dalisgrass. Or use roundup and then let the bermuda fill in.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:31 AM

The Roundup didn't work. Tried that too. The only way to get rid of it was dig it out. That was his last resort because he didn't want to do it, but in hindsight should have done it from the get-go and avoided spending money on every sort of weed killer known to man!

We were afraid of the big ugly bare spots in the because this was in our front yard, but honestly if you time it right, the patches will fill in in no time. He dug them up in the Spring just as it was getting warm and kept the sand & water on it and it's amazing how quickly it filled in.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:31 PM

944 posts, read 1,186,181 times
We switched lawn companies to Eco-Green, they weed & fertilize, it's looking nice & lush now - much better than previous company - have one totally dead spot, but it's small & a few patches in the back where the dog peed, but it's seeding like crazy right now & we're pretty happy with the switch - the stuff they use is more pet & environmentally friendly.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:16 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Glad to hear you have at least some resolution.....this has been a problem with multiple builders, not just Breland. That polar vortex really did a number on sod this past winter. Just make sure you water it really well during the rest of the summer.

In an ideal word, a nice layer of topsoil would be added to prepare the lot for the new sod, but I don't know any builder that does that. They all pretty much lay it right on top of the red clay......as well as the buried bricks, wood, coke cans, etc

Old 07-11-2014, 08:17 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,414 times
Speaking of lawns, does anyone know of a company who will come in with truckloads of sand and do lawn leveling / topdressing? I have priced it out myself and the sand price is not bad, but moving and raking sand over a half acre would probably take me forever. I have dumped wheelbarrow loads all over trying to fill in ruts and holes, but the entire yard really needs a good layer of sand to get it level since areas have started to settle over the past year. Ideally I'd like to mow my hybrid Bermuda around an inch, but am having to cut it higher since my mower is always bottoming out and scalping various areas if I cut any lower than 2-2.5".

Old 07-29-2014, 07:37 AM

Just an update on this issue.

Breland sent out a release agreement for those of us affected to sign around the 10th of July. On the 17th or 18th they brought sod in and resodded 4 houses, however, ours wasn't one of them. On Monday the 21st they finished those four houses.

1. Two of the homes resodded were from owners who had closed on their house after we had.
2. The other two homes were from owners who had closed before we had.

On that Monday, the superintendent of that subidivsion told us it would be Wednesday or Thursday of last week. Supposedly because of the rain, it was going to be Friday. Friday came and went and it was going to be Monday. Ideally those who had been dealing with the issue first would have gotten sod first. The superintendent just let the sod guys do the homes as they wished. IMHO, this is completely unprofessional. Those who had closed first should have gotten sod first. The two other neighbors should have had Breland sod their lawns before they closed, because they were in terrible shape then. This is what my next door neighbor who moved in about a month ago did.

Today is Tuesday and no sod and no word as to when we will get sod. My concern at this point is that the sod needs to get into the ground and root before the cold weather comes. One local weatherman indicated that with the weather patterns fall may come a little early this year. And to be honest, Breland has had since the first of June to take care of this.

I have made the decision at this point to write them a formal letter stating that if this issue isn't resolved in the next few weeks I will be taking my complaint to the BBB. I feel like we've been terribly patient with them on this issue.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:56 AM

I'm so sorry....wow, what a bummer. I'd be terribly frustrated, and yes I think you've been very patient.

I agree that at this point, a formal letter to them stating your plans is the best thing to do.

I'm sure the sod guys just did what they were told re: the order they laid the sod, but the super should have made sure they knew which house(s) to do first.

Good luck!

Old 07-30-2014, 07:09 AM

I guess my rants were finally heard.

They were laying sod down when I got home yesterday at 5:15. Took them right at 3 hours to lay down my .2 acre lot. Now I have to just keep it watered the next few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area