Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 06:57 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,669 times

Advertisements

Haha, so when I got home on Thursday there was a note in the mailbox from the HOA that the weeds/lawn was too high.

The funny thing about it is that some of the Breland houses sitting for sale have far worse yards right now. I went ahead and set the mower high and mowed them down and bagged them. Hopefully it won't disturb the bermuda trying to come in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 05:58 PM

458 posts, read 617,260 times
Oh wow. That's the first I heard the HOA does anything. Is your grass freshly laid sod or has it rooted?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post
Oh wow. That's the first I heard the HOA does anything. Is your grass freshly laid sod or has it rooted?
It hasn't rooted yet. It probably was laid in November of last year. Tons of weeds. I'm convinced bre land used some weed filled sod. The weeds followed rows of sod. Some of brelands lawns on inventory houses have tons of weeds too.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:43 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,414 times
Water, water water...freshly laid Bermuda needs to be watered so it remains moist until it is rooted. Also, cutting it short will allow sun to hit the soil and Bermuda roots which causes it to grow faster and start to choke out some of the weeds. Once the Bermuda is rooted, you can start applying weed control of your choosing.

Take a look at the Bermuda Bible...

Bermuda Bible - aroundtheyard.com

Old 04-22-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Water, water water...freshly laid Bermuda needs to be watered so it remains moist until it is rooted. Also, cutting it short will allow sun to hit the soil and Bermuda roots which causes it to grow faster and start to choke out some of the weeds. Once the Bermuda is rooted, you can start applying weed control of your choosing.

Take a look at the Bermuda Bible...

Bermuda Bible - aroundtheyard.com
The soil is pretty wet, and cold. The guy at Waynes indicated that they probably can hit it with weed treatment sometime in May or early june depending on how well its rooted.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:25 PM

442 posts, read 647,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Haha, so when I got home on Thursday there was a note in the mailbox from the HOA that the weeds/lawn was too high.

The funny thing about it is that some of the Breland houses sitting for sale have far worse yards right now. I went ahead and set the mower high and mowed them down and bagged them. Hopefully it won't disturb the bermuda trying to come in.
Yeah, but was it from the "homeowners" on the HOA(home owners association) or actually from Breland Homes? Either way it's really good to have an active HOA so that the community always looks nice and homes continue to sell and property values are stabilized. I know of cases where covenant violation letters from HOA's have caused anger because the owners have felt like they were being singled out but everyone that lives in a community with an HOA agreed to abide by the covenants and restrictions when they closed on their home.

I don't know about Wayne's but I think Tru-Green says not to mow for at least 24 hours after the lawn has been treated (or something like that). Again, not sure about Wayne's but Tru-Green always leaves a little placard sign on a black plastic stake in the lawn by the street every time they treat it. I would probably leave that little placard sign in the lawn until the weeds start to die out so that everyone knows you are actually taking care of it. Signs are also usually against the covenants and restrictions in many communities with HOA's but in that case everyone would know you are actually taking care of your lawn and those signs are pretty small so they're not much of an eyesore. After your lawn gets established and doesn't have any more weeds I would just start throwing the little placard signs away if Wayne's puts them out after they do a treatment. And if I got a letter for a small Wayne's treatment placard sign being in my yard I would just tell them that I left it there because I got a letter complaining about weeds in my lawn and I wanted everyone to know that I was taking care of it. Ha!

Old 04-22-2014, 01:50 PM

776 posts, read 745,925 times
We used to get HOA notifications in the Westlake subdivision all the time for the house we were renting. When we left I wrote on the driveway "Bye Bye HOA!" That neighborhood isn't the greatest of neighborhoods and their HOA is annoying. I honestly don't know why they even bother.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:50 PM

442 posts, read 647,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post
We used to get HOA notifications in the Westlake subdivision all the time for the house we were renting. When we left I wrote on the driveway "Bye Bye HOA!" That neighborhood isn't the greatest of neighborhoods and their HOA is annoying. I honestly don't know why they even bother.
I just hope you used sidewalk chalk and not spray paint!

Old 04-23-2014, 02:03 PM

Waynes is supposed to be by this week to look at the lawn. The bermuda on the south side of the house is starting to slowly come in. The ground is still pretty cold though.

I just don't get the obsession with a grass that stays dormate for 6 months out of the year. I'd imagine there is a grass that can grow here that can hang around for 9 or 10 months. St. Augustine where we lived pretty much grew all year long and slowed down for a few months in the winter.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:03 PM

458 posts, read 617,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
It hasn't rooted yet. It probably was laid in November of last year. Tons of weeds. I'm convinced bre land used some weed filled sod. The weeds followed rows of sod. Some of brelands lawns on inventory houses have tons of weeds too.
I'm surprised they gave you a notice because there is a guy on my street that has had several black bags full of lawn clippings sitting on the curb for the past two weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area