Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 10:57 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,732 times

Advertisements

I'm ever-so-slowly getting the hubs to see my way of thinking when it comes to older/established neighborhoods vs. new construction. We've been looking at some 10-25 yr old homes in the Woodland Hills area of Madison, and also in Hampton Cove. And we've also been looking at 40-50+ yr old homes in Jones Valley. I love Jones Valley, but I think the homes scare hubby. Not me because I've redone a 50 yr old home before and I can see past the quirks & shabby stuff.

Question for you realtors....which area(s) do you think would be the best bet for home value appreciation? Our max home investment would be $400k, but would like to keep it closer to $350k. So if we bought an older home that needed $100k worth of work to update/repair everything, the max we could pay for it would be $250-300k.

Hampton Cove has a LOT of homes on the market in the $300-400k price range right now, so I think bargains could be found. Same with Madison. But with Jones Valley you would always have the supply vs demand issue on your side. And Hampton Cove just feels so far removed from everything, compared with Jones Valley or Madison.

I'm interested to hear yoru thoughts and also opinions from anyone who lives in the older, more established areas.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:10 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,055,827 times
I'm not a realtor, but Piedmont seems to be an area if you buy a fixer to flip you will definitely come out ahead.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:36 AM

266 posts, read 396,616 times
The wife and I toured the two renovated homes in the Spring Tour of Homes. One of them was located in piedmont and they bought the house for just over 200k (i cant remember the exact price, but look it up on Zillow) and it is currently on the market for 550k. There is another house down the street that is up for sale at 575k.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:37 AM

Are you talking about that one on Homewood for $555? Yeah, that's nuts. Very nice house. But for 2900 sq. ft, it's not that nice.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:49 AM

We looked at that house on Homewood also. Nuts! Yes, it's nice but not THAT nice. There was also a remodeled home on the tour in Jones Valley...on Forbes, I think. It wasn't 100% complete, but close enough. I liked the layout much better than the one in Piedmont/Homewood. The price was also $550k, which was too much. Loved the house, though.

We aren't looking for a house to flip, but rather a new home for our family. I like larger lots, big trees, established neighborhoods, not so transient. Basically the opposite of where we currently live!

Old 05-05-2014, 12:07 PM

776 posts, read 745,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
I'm ever-so-slowly getting the hubs to see my way of thinking when it comes to older/established neighborhoods vs. new construction. We've been looking at some 10-25 yr old homes in the Woodland Hills area of Madison, and also in Hampton Cove. And we've also been looking at 40-50+ yr old homes in Jones Valley. I love Jones Valley, but I think the homes scare hubby. Not me because I've redone a 50 yr old home before and I can see past the quirks & shabby stuff.

Question for you realtors....which area(s) do you think would be the best bet for home value appreciation? Our max home investment would be $400k, but would like to keep it closer to $350k. So if we bought an older home that needed $100k worth of work to update/repair everything, the max we could pay for it would be $250-300k.

Hampton Cove has a LOT of homes on the market in the $300-400k price range right now, so I think bargains could be found. Same with Madison. But with Jones Valley you would always have the supply vs demand issue on your side. And Hampton Cove just feels so far removed from everything, compared with Jones Valley or Madison.

I'm interested to hear yoru thoughts and also opinions from anyone who lives in the older, more established areas.

Honestly, I don't think you can go too wrong in the $250K-$400K price range being $250K is the low end. It really depends on your location though. Your property value is what increases not really the home itself unless square footage is added. Some people will go drop $20K on a new kitchen and think they have done something by adding $1K to the value of the house. You don't want to spend more than the house is worth with purchase price and renovations. Your renovations are not going to move the needle much unless the house is in terrible shape and all you are going to be doing is bringing the house back up to value. Nobody is going to pay you $450K for home in a neighborhood where homes are only worth $400K max unless they are an idiot. You can find a lot of nice homes in this area that just need updating and not a lot of structural work. One thing I would do is call the foundation companies in this area and ask about the neighborhoods you are interested in especially if they are built on hills. There are some that do have major problems being more so in South Huntsville.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnygreek View Post
The wife and I toured the two renovated homes in the Spring Tour of Homes. One of them was located in piedmont and they bought the house for just over 200k (i cant remember the exact price, but look it up on Zillow) and it is currently on the market for 550k. There is another house down the street that is up for sale at 575k.
That's like $150 per sq ft. There are several similar homes in that neighborhood that sold last year at $125 per sq ft.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
We looked at that house on Homewood also. Nuts! Yes, it's nice but not THAT nice. There was also a remodeled home on the tour in Jones Valley...on Forbes, I think. It wasn't 100% complete, but close enough. I liked the layout much better than the one in Piedmont/Homewood. The price was also $550k, which was too much. Loved the house, though.

We aren't looking for a house to flip, but rather a new home for our family. I like larger lots, big trees, established neighborhoods, not so transient. Basically the opposite of where we currently live!
I don't know why this is but it seems some realtors strategy around here is to overprice and either hope some idiot pays that or use price reductions as their primary strategy in their marketing. I say price the home were it needs to be and leave it alone. The only thing a price reduction signals to me is either there is something wrong with the home or the seller is desperate and I smell a deal. Because of this you get home that sit on the market way too long which also leads people to believe something is wrong.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post
That's like $150 per sq ft. There are several similar homes in that neighborhood that sold last year at $125 per sq ft.
The one on Homewood is like $187 sq ft. Good luck to the sucker who falls for that.

Quote:
I don't know why this is but it seems some realtors strategy around here is to overprice and either hope some idiot pays that or use price reductions as their primary strategy in their marketing. I say price the home were it needs to be and leave it alone. The only thing a price reduction signals to me is either there is something wrong with the home or the seller is desperate and I smell a deal. Because of this you get home that sit on the market way too long which also leads people to believe something is wrong.
True that. Maybe one of our local realtors on here can give us the low down.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post
I tend to agree with you, to some extent. There are a lot of homes that sit & sit & sit, for various reasons. In Madison, resale houses tend to sit for a long time becuase there's SO much new construction to choose from. But, I've seen some homes come on the market priced aggressively, and they've sold pretty quick. And who knows if it's the realtors or the homeowners driving the high prices. A LOT of people use the "but I paid $300k for it 6 years ago, how can it only be worth $280k now?" rationale when pricing a home. Realtors can give guidance & expertise, but at the end of the day it's the homeowner who makes the final decision. There's a house in the neighborhood adjacent to us that's priced $100k more than any other house in the subdivision, even new construction. and guess what? It's been sitting for over a year. Apparently they aren't under any pressure to sell!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area