Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 09:28 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
hopefully they will, there is always someone who can't/won't follow rules and has no respect for anyone else. Next time you feel disrespected or upset because someone didn't do as "you" liked remember your own selfishness.
Good example for your kid, do you expect or teach them to obey rules?

Cause I clapped or whistled when my kid was called? I clapped for EVERY SINGLE KID that was called and walked on stage. Every one. Whistled for mine. I didn't block anyone elses name being called out by doing that. Not a one. And my particular peeve about the solemnity of the event is the last graduation I attended there... at the end when they flip their tassles, one graduate tossed his hat and the cops took him away. I find that very regretful.
Not everyone that whistles out or yells.."Yeah!" is taking up a lot of valuable time or dragging it out so that no other child's name is heard.
It's more like a funeral instead of graduation.

Aside from breaking the rule at my kids graduations and hollering.. Yay!!!... Yeah.. I'm pretty good about following/respecting rules and people. To date.. I have never torn off one of those tags off of a pillow or mattress for fear of disobedience.
I let people out of side roads into the traffic in front of me. I hold doors open for people. I let people with fewer items than me in front of me in checkout lines. I volunteer services and $$... so, generally, no, I am not a selfish person.
And yes, I taught my kids to obey rules .... They are fine upstanding citizens pushing their 40s now.

I've gone to about 18 graduations there and still have a few more to go over the next 5 yrs. I've watched the progression of taking the fun out of it.

But hey... like I said... if they do, they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 12:53 AM

1 posts, read 871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
Context: my kids graduated from Sparkman. Some years ago I was at the VBCC for graduation, and every senior had a little yellow smiley face sticker. As they walked the stage, they stuck the sticker on the principles head. After over 500 seniors, he was wearing a giant yellow helmet. It was great. The kids were having the time of their lives.

When you have 500 or even 600+ kids to get across the stage, it is a fast pace, and the noise is low in the A's. By the J's and K's it's hard to hear Mrs Winter calling names. By the end of the alphabet it is pandemonium.

May God bless every senior that graduated this year, no matter if it was quiet or noisy when their name was called.
Times have changed...

I remember the 2005 graduation. That was a terrible graduation. Things changed after that graduation. Parents, teachers, family, and the administrators made sure that did not happen again. After that graduation, students who misbehaved had their diploma held until they completed 40 hours of community service.

Fast forward to 2014 - The students were well mannered respectful, and quiet. I noticed a few loud outburst from the audience, but most were quiet. The person announcing the names instinctively waited until the noise died down before she announced the next name.

The kids were elated because the principal allowed the students to toss their graduation hats after the ceremony (lol-that hadn't happened in 9 years).

BTW-Not sure if they're any more graduations scheduled, but we parked at the old Holiday Inn (corner of Monroe and St. Clair) for $5.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:08 AM

19 posts, read 20,463 times
Quote:
Personally, I think the quiet respectful approach stinks. It's a celebration. Hoot, holler, blow air horns, throw beach balls, TP, and inflatable women. It's a party. These kids have put up with rules for years. Let them throw their caps.

I couldn't hear either of my kids names as they crossed the stage at the VBCC and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Well said, catfishin. Back in the day when I graduated and Mike Jackson was popular, I moon walked to the principle, shook his hand, and struted off the stage. The place erupted like the winning touchdown was scored. Many others followed with similar tactics and results.

Our principle gave us ONE rule: "celebrate with dignity". We did and I will never forget my graduation. Unfortunately, today the PC police are taking it all away. What a shame.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:57 PM

483 posts, read 630,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Spence View Post
Well said, catfishin. Back in the day when I graduated and Mike Jackson was popular, I moon walked to the principle, shook his hand, and struted off the stage. The place erupted like the winning touchdown was scored. Many others followed with similar tactics and results.

Our principle gave us ONE rule: "celebrate with dignity". We did and I will never forget my graduation. Unfortunately, today the PC police are taking it all away. What a shame.
And this could explain the spelling of the word "Principle" (sic).

Old 05-26-2014, 02:23 PM

614 posts, read 766,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmom2000 View Post
And this could explain the spelling of the word "Principle" (sic).

Ahh the spelling flame. The last resort of a failed position. Thank you.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:29 PM

Catfishin2000....Andy Spence.....how many people are you? I'm not sure what you mean by "the last resort of a failed position". I think graduation should be dignified and not like that of a tractor pull but whatever. Maybe high school was your only graduation ceremony? You only live once, LOL!

Old 05-27-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Ahh the spelling flame. The last resort of a failed position. Thank you.
Lol. So true. In principal though, she has a point. I try to have patients with people on forums. Some would wish Capitol punishment on those with week grammar. Seams silly to me.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:22 PM

614 posts, read 766,569 times
Quote:
Lol. So true. In principal though, she has a point. I try to have patients with people on forums. Some would wish Capitol punishment on those with week grammar. Seams silly to me.
Thank you for that. I was sort of grumpy after the list of accusations she made against me (being you and not going to college) but your fine post put everything back to right.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:28 PM

You are welcome, catfish. I try not to take offense to what people say or judge about me. It took me exactly 20 years to get my degree. Albeit, during that time I was involved in Desert Shield/Storm and raising kids. When a 4 year old spills milk on your uniform and keyboard before night class... that is STRESS. Using a word out of context and getting called out for it is comical.

As far as graduation ceremonies, I say Carpe Diem which means "enjoy the day" for the few that don't know that already.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
You are welcome, catfish. I try not to take offense to what people say or judge about me. It took me exactly 20 years to get my degree. Albeit, during that time I was involved in Desert Shield/Storm and raising kids. When a 4 year old spills milk on your uniform and keyboard before night class... that is STRESS. Using a word out of context and getting called out for it is comical.

As far as graduation ceremonies, I say Carpe Diem which means "enjoy the day" for the few that don't know that already.
Seize the day.

Thank you for your service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area