Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 03:03 PM

523 posts, read 1,003,410 times

Advertisements

Are there any websites that spell out rules/laws governing landlord/tenant responsibilities?
I have a little situation with my tenant. He left his garden hose connected to the bib during the polar vortex and the bib split open. Now he is refusing to pay for it. He told the property management company that it was like that when he moved in.....which is total hog wash. He moved in June 1st last year and I used that bib several times to water the sod after I purchased the house. I have had two plumbers tell me the only way that bib split like that is if the hose was connected and had water in it. I did a walk thru this past January and that was when I noticed the hose was connected to the bib. I did not see the split in the bib at that time though. I only noticed that when I went back two weeks later to cover the bibs, before the second vortex rolled thru.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 03:32 PM

35 posts, read 46,329 times
I'm not a lawyer, but I have been a landlord.

There are two possible scenarios:

A: Tenant was aware of the precautions that needed to be taken, but ignored those precautions and damage was caused due to negligence.

B: Tenant took (or attempted to take) the appropriate precautions but the damage occurred anyway.

If you file a small claims suit against the tenant, the burden of proof is on you. You'd have to prove Scenario A. If you (or the property management company) withhold the repair total from the security deposit and provide the tenant with a receipt from the servicing company, the tenant would have to file small claims. Burden of proof would then be on the tenant to prove Scenario B.

Proving either scenario would be difficult. Unless the damage is more than a couple hundred $'s, it's probably not worth the hassle.

To answer your question though:

http://ali.state.al.us/legislation/landlord_tenant.pdf

See §3.101.6 (Page 22)

Old 05-29-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EighthOctave View Post
I'm not a lawyer, but I have been a landlord.

There are two possible scenarios:

A: Tenant was aware of the precautions that needed to be taken, but ignored those precautions and damage was caused due to negligence.

B: Tenant took (or attempted to take) the appropriate precautions but the damage occurred anyway.

If you file a small claims suit against the tenant, the burden of proof is on you. You'd have to prove Scenario A. If you (or the property management company) withhold the repair total from the security deposit and provide the tenant with a receipt from the servicing company, the tenant would have to file small claims. Burden of proof would then be on the tenant to prove Scenario B.

Proving either scenario would be difficult. Unless the damage is more than a couple hundred $'s, it's probably not worth the hassle.

To answer your question though:

http://ali.state.al.us/legislation/landlord_tenant.pdf

See §3.101.6 (Page 22)
A: He should be aware that you don't leave the hose connected to the bib. He is from Arkansas.

B: He took no precautions whatsoever. When I did the walk thru I noticed the hose connected to the bib. I tried for two weeks to find those Styrofoam covers and nobody had any. Finally I decided to just wrap the bibs with some insulation and duct tape. That's when I noticed the crack in the bib. And I had to disconnect the hose to wrap the bib.

I will give him credit for at least taking precautions inside the house. He told me they opened all the cabinets and turned up the heat to keep the pipes from freezing up. All of the pipes in that house are on external walls except the hall bath.

The estimate I got to fix the bib was for $375. They will have to remove some bricks, replace the bib then replace the brick. After he refused to pay it, I told the property management company to increase the rent by $50. I had intended to increase it by $25 anyway because the HOA dues increased, insurance went up slightly, trugreen wants more....yadayadayada. The catch is, he has refused to sign another 1 year lease. He is a "public official" and is up for reelection. He said he cannot sign another lease until he finds out if he wins the election. If there is a runoff, it will be held in July. So he is basically on a month to month until he wins the election. If he loses the election he said he will have to move. So if he moves, do I have the right to withhold money for repairs from his deposit? If he signs another lease, the extra rent will cover it.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:04 PM

493 posts, read 712,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padmaster View Post
A: He should be aware that you don't leave the hose connected to the bib. He is from Arkansas.

B: He took no precautions whatsoever. When I did the walk thru I noticed the hose connected to the bib. I tried for two weeks to find those Styrofoam covers and nobody had any. Finally I decided to just wrap the bibs with some insulation and duct tape. That's when I noticed the crack in the bib. And I had to disconnect the hose to wrap the bib.

I will give him credit for at least taking precautions inside the house. He told me they opened all the cabinets and turned up the heat to keep the pipes from freezing up. All of the pipes in that house are on external walls except the hall bath.

The estimate I got to fix the bib was for $375. They will have to remove some bricks, replace the bib then replace the brick. After he refused to pay it, I told the property management company to increase the rent by $50. I had intended to increase it by $25 anyway because the HOA dues increased, insurance went up slightly, trugreen wants more....yadayadayada. The catch is, he has refused to sign another 1 year lease. He is a "public official" and is up for reelection. He said he cannot sign another lease until he finds out if he wins the election. If there is a runoff, it will be held in July. So he is basically on a month to month until he wins the election. If he loses the election he said he will have to move. So if he moves, do I have the right to withhold money for repairs from his deposit? If he signs another lease, the extra rent will cover it.
This happened to one of my hose bibs this past winter even though I had it covered up with the styrofoam covers you mentioned. I had a professional plumbing company repair it for just under $160.00 which I thought was very reasonable but they did not have to remove any of my bricks......I was afraid they would but they did not have to. That could be the difference in price between yours and mine. Did you only get the one estimate? You might want to try to get more estimates and see if that makes a difference.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:50 PM

35 posts, read 46,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padmaster View Post
So if he moves, do I have the right to withhold money for repairs from his deposit?
Again, not a lawyer.

If you believe he caused damage (beyond normal wear and tear) then yes, you can withhold from the security deposit. Make sure you provide him with a receipt from the repairman when you return the remainder of the deposit. Like I said, he may file a small claims suit, but he would have to prove that he didn't cause the damage to get the withheld portion back.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EighthOctave View Post
Again, not a lawyer.

If you believe he caused damage (beyond normal wear and tear) then yes, you can withhold from the security deposit. Make sure you provide him with a receipt from the repairman when you return the remainder of the deposit. Like I said, he may file a small claims suit, but he would have to prove that he didn't cause the damage to get the withheld portion back.

This is a new home. He is the first person to live in the house. And like I said, I used that bib to water the sod just before he moved in. There is no doubt in my mind he caused the damage by leaving the hose connected to the bib.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needtosellmyhome View Post
This happened to one of my hose bibs this past winter even though I had it covered up with the styrofoam covers you mentioned. I had a professional plumbing company repair it for just under $160.00 which I thought was very reasonable but they did not have to remove any of my bricks......I was afraid they would but they did not have to. That could be the difference in price between yours and mine. Did you only get the one estimate? You might want to try to get more estimates and see if that makes a difference.
The quote I got is from the plumber and brick company who originally did the house. The property management company got a quote from roto rooter for $275 but that was for replacing the bib only. And they wanted to go thru the wall inside. By the time I paid someone to repair the Sheetrock and paint, it probably would be more than $375. Not to mention the inconvenience it would cause the tenant.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:04 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,951 times
Isn't this why you collect a security deposit?

Old 05-30-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Isn't this why you collect a security deposit?
Well, in a sense, yes, but I would prefer to reserve those funds for anything I might find AFTER he moves out. If he moves out after the election, I will use the damage deposit to cover the repairs, but if he signs another 1 year lease, I will consider the repairs paid for from the additional rent I am charging. I have to pay for the repairs NOW. Well technically I guess I don't have to, I have been told there are no laws that say I have to provide an outside hose bib. Besides, there is another bib on the other side of the house.

The attached pic is the only hard evidence I have.
Attached Thumbnails
landlord laws for dummies?-bib.jpg  

Old 05-30-2014, 07:02 AM

60 posts, read 73,303 times
As of 2006, Alabama law is tenant friendly. I have rented for 20 years and in your case I would replace the bib. It is a minor expense compared to the pain an angry tenant can impose on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area