U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2014, 10:31 AM

322 posts, read 383,465 times

Advertisements

Heard several high school kids working in arsenal as interns during summer, for their parent(s). How hard for a kid, without government employee parents, find an internship job in Redstone Arsenal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 10:36 AM

627 posts, read 509,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guxu View Post
Heard several high school kids working in arsenal as interns during summer, for their parent(s). How hard for a kid, without government employee parents, find an internship job in Redstone Arsenal?
Sadly, it is who you know rather than what you know.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:06 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,459,015 times
Yeah, all the friends I had got the internships because of their parents.

I got one too, thanks to my dad, but didn't end up taking it.

Without knowing somebody, min GS 14, it seemed pointless to even apply.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:41 PM

398 posts, read 387,427 times
I work on a team of two and we have a high school intern this summer. He is home schooled and has no connections to RSA. He just displayed the most interest in the work we do. I got my current job without knowing anyone out here. It can't hurt to apply.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:27 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,459,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post
It can't hurt to apply.
That is a very good point, I retract my statement earlier. I just wouldn't bet on getting it without help.

I mean my dad did just walk up and get a job, but that was 1989.

He told me they had lots of thermodynamic stuff, but he refused to take anything out his specific interest range of propulsion. He was PICKY. Doubt you can be picky now...

Old 07-14-2014, 08:57 PM

398 posts, read 387,427 times
It's a double edge sword. If you are too specific you will remove yourself from a ton of jobs. If you are not specific enough, some other guy who lists his specific experience/interests will appear as a better match and take your job.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:23 AM

4,234 posts, read 7,431,012 times
Every year I see lots of kids come through on internship or as co-ops with pay, but these are college kids. I've personally mentored a few and, as far as I know, they did not have family connection. I hired one of them despite the HR "suggested" another candidate who has a more preferrential ethnic "profile". I was looking at qualification, not preferrence.

The problem is they do not give a lot of warning on when is the hiring windoow open & closed. I get a email notification but that's because I am on their database. I can see if you don't have a parent working inside the system, or get notified by your college coop/intern office, you may not even know the hiring opportunities exist. Maybe that is why many kids got the internship have their parents working there,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area