Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 08:54 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,263 times

Advertisements

I'm not quite sure how or why its important to know who a municipal elected officer voted for president. Everyone puts so much stock into presidential elections but complains about their schools and roads and yet we have such a low voter turnout for municipal elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 09:20 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
IMO it's important to know the political views of a candidate. The school board has the power to tax - who is more likely to raise taxes? An Obama voter or a GOP voter? The school board will be dealing with the desegregation order - who is more likely to side with the Obama Department of Justice? The previous Superintendent fostered an environment rife with waste, fraud, and abuse - who is more likely to demand government efficiency and accountability?

Old 07-18-2014, 12:16 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
IMO it's important to know the political views of a candidate. The school board has the power to tax - who is more likely to raise taxes? An Obama voter or a GOP voter? The school board will be dealing with the desegregation order - who is more likely to side with the Obama Department of Justice? The previous Superintendent fostered an environment rife with waste, fraud, and abuse - who is more likely to demand government efficiency and accountability?
That might be true for hard right or hard left politicians, but many are centrist. I've seen plenty of democrats cut budgets and increase effeciency in municpal government, and many republicans raise taxes.

From my experience the last 15 years here, Alabama Democrats are more conservative than many Florida Republicans.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:19 PM

944 posts, read 1,186,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
That might be true for hard right or hard left politicians, but many are centrist. I've seen plenty of democrats cut budgets and increase effeciency in municpal government, and many republicans raise taxes.

From my experience the last 15 years here, Alabama Democrats are more conservative than many Florida Republicans.
This is very true, I've been reading up on AL state officials & came across one (can't remember his name) - who can't seem to decide if he's a Rep or a Dem and has ran as both (and still keeps losing ) - interesting...(I'm sure this is happening in most states)

Old 07-19-2014, 09:02 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
What they do in the privacy of their own home is their own business, right?
Not sure I take your meaning. In state, national, and many local elections people are allowed to know the parties of the candidates. I don't see the problem, and really wonder why it is kept from the voters in this case.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:55 AM

I have spoken (at length) with both candidates for District 4 school board, Kimberly Battle and Walker McGinnis. Disclaimer - I've known Coach McGinnis most of my life and if I lived in that district I would vote for him. However, I like Kimberly Battle and she would be a good school board member.

McGinnis is a Republican and Battle leans GOP - she voted for Obama the first time then Romney in 2012.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:59 AM

AuburnAL - I agree that there's no reason not to know a candidate's political party preference. Non-partisan only means that candidates run as individuals, however individuals are free to associate with political parties.

BTW it would be cheaper to hold partisan municipal elections at the same time as the regular primary / general election.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:23 AM

I attended an event yesterday and got to hear all candidates speak for a minute (literally one minute speeches). IMO Kimberly Battle, candidate for District 4 school board, gave the best speech and used her time most effectively. Several candidates ran out of time and were caught short. Here are some highlights (note that I write slowly so these are just snippets instead of sentences):

District 2 School Board:
Beth Wilder = "I attend school board meetings", "parent, substitute teacher", [I oppose the] "overreach of the State and Federal Government", [I'm a] "reasonable-minded and positive influence"

Richard Buchanan = "lifelong Republican", "transparency and accountability", "community involvement", "retain qualified teachers", "reduce district-implemented testing"

District 3 City Council:
Walt Hennessee = "conservative Republican", "do not have Committee of 100 support", "south Huntsville has been neglected", "average house value has dropped $2600 in south Huntsville"

Jennie Robinson = "12 years on the School Board", [go to website to read] "plan to reinvent south Huntsville", "you've voted for me 3 times before, please vote for me"

Rosemary Shexnayder = "fiscally conservative", "business owner", "no new City taxes", [build a] "bypass"

District 3 School Board:
Ellen Brusick = "I'm old in people experience", "I'm stooped because of being around children", [I wear a] "teacher ring", [I wear] "comfortable shoes"

Elisa Ferrell = "mom of 5", "my first vote, I voted for Reagan", [I oppose] "federal intervention"

Anson Knowles = "5th generation Huntsvillian", "family have been active Republicans for 100 years", "implement ACA", "oppose common core"

Kathie Rooker = [Graduated from] "Georgia Tech", [work in] "IT management", "Chaired Montessori School Board", [active in] "PTA"

Pat Sanders = "4 generations of Huntsville service", [Cousin of] "County Commissioner Phil Riddick", "improve communications", "hostile environment in school system", [wants to help] "teachers feel better about working in schools"

District 4 City Council:
Jackie Reed = "I've run 6 times, now it's my time", "my passion comes from God"

Bill Kling (Incumbent) = "Conservative Christian", [created plan so] "2/3 of road money goes to neighborhood streets"

District 4 School Board:
Kimberly Battle = "mentor / tutor", "neighborhood schools", "AEA is not about students"

Walker McGinnis = [I've worked as] "teacher", "principal", "teacher recruiter", [2 years ago the schools had] "$19.5 million debt, teacher layoffs", [threatened with] "State takeover"

Old 08-19-2014, 03:57 PM

District 2:

Quote:
Richard Buchanan and Beth Wilder are seeking to take David Blair's place as the District 2 representative on the Huntsville school board.

The candidates sat down with AL.com on Friday to discuss the race leading up to the Aug. 26 municipal election and the issues affecting their district. District 2 currently includes Blossomwood, Goldsmith-Schiffman, Hampton Cove, Jones Valley and Monte Sano elementary schools; Chapman P-8 School, Hampton Cove and Huntsville middle schools and Lee and New Century Technology high schools.
5 questions with Richard Buchanan and Beth Wilder, District 2 candidates for Huntsville school board | AL.com

District 3:

Quote:
Five candidates aim to take Jennie Robinson's place on the Huntsville school board, and all five sat down with AL.com on Thursday to discuss the crowded race leading up to the Aug. 26 municipal election.

Candidates Elisa Ferrell, Ellen Brusick, Anson Knowles, Kathie Rooker and Pat Sanders are vying for the District 3 seat on the board. The district currently includes Chaffee, Challenger, Farley and Weatherly elementary schools, Challenger Middle School, Mountain Gap and Whitesburg P-8 schools and Grissom High.
5 questions with the 5 candidates for Huntsville's District 3 school board seat | AL.com

District 4:

Quote:
Candidates Kimberly Battle and Walker McGinnis are seeking to replace Topper Birney as the District 4 representative on the Huntsville school board.

...District 4 currently includes McDonnell, Morris and Ridgecrest elementary schools, Westlawn Middle School, Huntsville High and the Huntsville Center for Technology.
5 questions with Kimberly Battle and Walker McGinnis, District 4 candidates for Huntsville school board | AL.com

Old 08-22-2014, 10:06 AM

The Huntsville Times (or ALdotcom or Alabama Media Group) endorses school board candidates:

Quote:
In school board district 2, Richard Buchanan has in his public appearances and his interview with AL.com called for better communication with the city at large and teachers in particular. He has publicly chided Wardynski for communication issues, but praised him for his financial and organizational skills. Buchanan's willingness to challenge the superintendent when necessary, but praise him when he is right, make Buchanan a good choice. We recommend Buchanan.

In school board district 3, it would be a near miracle not to see a runoff with a field of five candidates, and all of the candidates bring positive attributes. However, Elisa Ferrell has demonstrated she can work with parents and teachers throughout the system as a two-time president of the Huntsville Council of PTAs, and her intelligent and calm demeanor will be needed as the board works to rebuild trust and find consensus. We recommend Ferrell.

In school board district 4, one candidate, as much as anyone we've talked to, articulated the same vision for Huntsville City Schools that we embrace – moving forward with equity, excellence and inclusion foremost in our minds.

Though she doesn't have children in school, Kimberly Battle is involved as a student mentor and community activist and demonstrates a strong grasp of the issues facing the school system and how they affect the city as a whole. We recommend Battle.
Alabama Media Group endorsements in Tuesday's Huntsville school board races | AL.com

On a side note, I'm somewhat surprised that all of The Huntsville Times endorsed candidates are Republicans (I'll bet that they might be surprised too). Note that The Times describes Battle as a "community activist" - part of her 'activism' is that she is a Young Republican
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area