Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 01:44 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,389,616 times

Advertisements

Huntsville's non-partisan municipal elections for Districts 2, 3, and 4 will be held August 26, 2014. District elections are staggered so Districts 1 (Showers / McCaulley) and 5 (Culver / Culbreath) will be held in two years. Congratulations to my District 2 Council Member, Mark Russell, who is unopposed.

Quote:
District 2

-Mark Russell – City Council
-Beth Wilder – Board of Education
-Richard V. Buchanan – Board of Education

District 3

-Jennie Robinson – City Council
-Walt Hennessee – City Council
-Rosemary Schexnayder – City Council
-Elisa Ferrell - Board of Education
-Ellen Brusick - Board of Education
-Anson Knowles - Board of Education
-Kathie Rooker - Board of Education
-Pat Sanders – Board of Education

District 4

-Bill Kling – City Council
-Jackie Reed – City Council
-Kimberly Battle - Board of Education
-Walker McGinnis – Board of Education
Qualifying ends for Huntsville city races; 15 candidates ready to run | WHNT.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 06:24 PM

944 posts, read 1,178,076 times
Where do I find out what district we live in? I'd like to read up about our local representatives...please and thank you

Old 07-16-2014, 07:21 PM

Becky - IIRC you're in District 5. I'm friendly with your Councilman Will Culver but I don't know your School Board member Mike Culbreath (he works with Breland and I think he's done a good job on the school board so far). Here is a link to the City Council / School Board District map:

http://www.huntsvilleal.gov/gis/gis_..._Districts.pdf

I'd like to read up on our local candidates, too

Old 07-16-2014, 07:26 PM

Thank you

Old 07-16-2014, 08:03 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,149,040 times
Why can't they be partisan?

Old 07-16-2014, 09:09 PM

I would prefer for the municipal elections to be partisan, however:

Quote:
ALA CODE § 11-46-3 : Alabama Code - Section 11-46-3: PRIMARY ELECTIONS BY POLITICAL PARTIES AND PARTISAN ELECTIONS ABOLISHED IN MUNICIPALITIES HAVING 300,000 INHABITANTS OR LESS

Primary elections of political parties are hereby abolished in cities and towns of this state which have a population of 300,000 inhabitants or less, according to the latest federal decennial census, and election of the members of the municipal governing body of said cities and towns shall be by and on a nonpartisan ballot in all elections held for the purpose of electing members of the governing body.
(Acts 1971, No. 2234, p. 3592.)
ALA CODE § 11-46-3 : Alabama Code - Section 11-46-3: PRIMARY ELECTIONS BY POLITICAL PARTIES AND PARTISAN ELECTIONS ABOLISHED IN MUNICIPALITIES HAVING 300,000 INHABITANTS OR LESS

Note that elections were partisan until 1971.

One man's opinion:

Quote:
University of Alabama Professor Emeritus Dr. William Stewart says it is specifically to keep the fervor of national partisanship away from the pragmatism of city government.

Dr. Stewart says, “Obviously candidates at times identify themselves as Democrats or Republicans, but the ballots that citizens will receive when they go to the polls later this month in our municipal elections is a non-partisan ballot.”

...Dr. Stewart explains, “When you talk about paving streets or collecting garbage or a lot of the other municipal functions, there’s not really a Republican way to do things and a Democratic way. There are more efficient ways and less efficient ways.”

The idea of keeping national elections separate from city ones boils down to this, according to Dr. Stewart – it doesn’t help anyone to fight over paving your street red or blue – as long as the street gets paved.

Dr. Stewart does say that you can expect about half the turnout for municipal elections that you would for national ones, but he argues it’s worth the cost to keep the two separate.
Alabama Municipal Elections: Why They Are Held In August, Not November | WHNT.com

Another view from Greenville SC (which holds partisan municipal elections):

Quote:
Supporters of non partisan elections say it will speed the process and encourage more candidates to get involved.

Critics, like Democratic Councilwoman Lillian Brock Flemming would cut some newcomers out of the process.

“You need the support you need somebody to assist you there are a lot of people who would like to run but they don't know how to," Flemming said.

Flemming said it would be especially difficult in some districts with large minority populations that fall short of enough voters to elect a representative on council. In districts where, say, 35% of the population is black a candidate needs broader support to get into office and the backing of a political party helps accomplish that.
Greenville Considers Non-Partisan Elections - Alabamas13.com WVTM-TV Birmingham, AL

Old 07-16-2014, 09:40 PM

Thanks for that info as well - looking at local council members led me to search about the county & state...I'm learning about AL politics here! I kinda like the non-partisan municipal elections...I don't care what my council man is, as long as he works to better the community :-)

Old 07-17-2014, 01:27 AM

1,418 posts, read 1,574,697 times
If you go to this web site it will tell you all the districts based on your voter registration.
https://myinfo.alabamavotes.gov/Vote...trantSearch.do

For example:

District Name ........... District Type
------------------------- --------------
CONGRESSIONAL DIST 05 ....CONGRESSIONAL
STATE SENATE 07 ..........SENATE
STATE HOUSE 19 ...........STATE HOUSE
STATE BOE DIST 08 ........STATE SCHOOL
CO COMM DIST 03 ..........COMMISSION
HUNTSVILLE MUNI DIST .....MUNICIPALITY
CITY SCHOOL BOARD DIST 04 LOCAL SCHOOL
CO SCHOOL BOARD DIST 00 ..COUNTY SCHOOL
HSV CITY COUNCIL DIST 04 .CITY

Old 07-17-2014, 07:13 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,020,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Why can't they be partisan?
What they do in the privacy of their own home is their own business, right?

Old 07-17-2014, 11:22 PM

I went to the school board meeting tonight to try to meet the District 2 candidates. Beth Wilder was there so I got to speak with her for a few minutes. I liked her some, but then I asked the important question: for whom did you vote for President? She said Obama. I replied that her vote displayed a failure of judgment, to which she replied that she is more of a moderate and she hasn't been pleased with Obama's performance, so maybe there's hope for her...

I'm still on the lookout for Richard Buchanan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area