Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 12:42 PM

776 posts, read 740,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
If waiting 4 weeks for your CCW is the worst thing that happens to you today then it has been a really really good day.
I shouldn't need a permit period to defend myself when the Alabama constituion has already granted me that right. Concealed carry is not a privilege it's a right. How can I defend myself if I legally carry it in my car unloaded and locked away in the trunk and maybe having only a few seconds to react?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
The online status doesn't work properly. Ours still showed that it was in process when we got our permits in the mail. Madison County just takes longer. It isn't personal. My wife's best friend is active duty military and it took her 9 weeks to get hers in the mail.

And it isn't related to the ability to buy firearms. You can buy them all day, but it doesn't mean you can carry it in your vehicle.

Buy the 5 year renewal and you won't have to bother with it for a good while.
The whole point of the CCW permit is to "prevent" the guns being carried around in the wrong hands. The wrong hands are concealing weapons anyway. Holding up the CCW permit process only punishes those who obey the law. It helps the criminals though. It doesn't prevent anything, but denying my right to properly defend myself without risking going to jail over unconstitutional provisions of a law. Laws are not made to stop criminals, but to punish after the fact.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
But you are legally allowed to carry it open and exposed on your person without a permit.
The whole problem with open carry is you are more than likely going to be very restricted where ever you go. Walmart will more than likely ask you to leave. In this society CC is the preferred choice. In order to CC I have to ask permission from my government. Doing so illegally would cause a whole host of other problems with my job and such which affects my income. Essentially its a form of control over the citizen. I doesn't bother me if cops are nervous about me carrying a concealed weapon. I have just as much right to defend myself with deadly force as he does. He can call for backup and get it almost immediately. I may have to wait 5 or 10 minutes before they even show up and it will probably be over by then. I just love when a sheriff says "I'm all for the second amendment, BUT........" There is no BUT about it. Cops are law enforcers. They are not bodyguards. There isn't enough of them to protect everyone. It is your own personal responsibility to protect yourself. Restricting that right is just plain wrong. The other problem arises in that I would have to unload the weapon and lock it up out of reach when I get in my car. Then when I get out I have to retrieve the weapon and reload it again. That would look real good in the parking lot.

Last edited by weaverra; 07-22-2014 at 01:16 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 01:30 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,016,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post
How can I defend myself if I legally carry it in my car unloaded and locked away in the trunk and maybe having only a few seconds to react?
Oh, my.

How many times have you been attacked during your wait time?

Old 07-22-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
Oh, my.

How many times have you been attacked during your wait time?
It only takes once.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:47 PM

614 posts, read 759,331 times
For carry, I would suggest you look into the Sneaky Pete Holsters. It looks like a cell phone or PDA case. Sort of like carrying both open and CCW at the same time.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
For carry, I would suggest you look into the Sneaky Pete Holsters. It looks like a cell phone or PDA case. Sort of like carrying both open and CCW at the same time.
That's pretty slick. How is it for drawing?

Old 07-22-2014, 02:21 PM

944 posts, read 1,175,709 times
Quote:
If waiting 4 weeks for your CCW is the worst thing that happens to you today then it has been a really really good day.
No kidding...I think it belongs under the category #firstworldproblems

Old 07-22-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2517 View Post
No kidding...I think it belongs under the category #firstworldproblems
The problem is you have criminals even in this area running around with absolutely nothing to fear. Even if I did openly carry as I am allowed to I would still legally have to unload the weapon lock it in the trunk and upon arriving at my destination retrieve the weapon from the trunk, load it and they put it back on my person. "I'm sorry criminal can I retrieve my weapon while you brandish you gun around?" I don't want to advertise to every criminal that I have a gun. I should not have to wait 4 weeks to get permission to do what the constitution has already granted me. It's more than a first world problem. #itsmyrighttonothavetoaskthegovernmenttodefendmyse lfadequately

You do realize that countries where they have taken away all guns, the criminals still have them and the government does whatever it wants without fear of retaliation.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:50 PM

523 posts, read 997,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post
The problem is you have criminals even in this area running around with absolutely nothing to fear. Even if I did openly carry as I am allowed to I would still legally have to unload the weapon lock it in the trunk and upon arriving at my destination retrieve the weapon from the trunk, load it and they put it back on my person. "I'm sorry criminal can I retrieve my weapon while you brandish you gun around?" I don't want to advertise to every criminal that I have a gun. I should not have to wait 4 weeks to get permission to do what the constitution has already granted me. It's more than a first world problem. #itsmyrighttonothavetoaskthegovernmenttodefendmyse lfadequately
Why would you have to unload the gun and put it in the trunk? Can't you open carry in your car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area