Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 04:08 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,264,726 times

Advertisements

My husband has had a CC for years and has NEVER had to draw his weapon, ever.....so I think having to wait a few weeks to get it will be fine. BTW, he carries everywhere except to work where he is not allowed. If he goes to Publix he is CC'ing.

Yes, he has the same mentality that the ONE time he doesn't have it will be the time he needs it, so that baby goes everywhere he goes. I am not yet comfortable enough to carry mine although doing what I do, I really need to considering a Realtor was attacked in a house a couple of months ago, and one of my Realtor friends was held at gunpoint at an open house. But even after shooting at the range I'm still afraid I'm going to shoot myself with it.

It only took mine about 2 1/2 weeks to get approved so I think they tell you 4 but you may get it sooner. Just keep checking on the site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 04:09 PM

776 posts, read 745,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon_dax View Post
I spent 24 months in Iraq and I am fortunate enough to say that I never once had to aim my weapon at any hostile. I believe it is reasonable to expect to go 4 weeks without having to do the same in Huntsville, Alabama.
Go jogging around 10pm in some of the bad parts of Huntsville unarmed and let me know how it goes.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
My husband has had a CC for years and has NEVER had to draw his weapon, ever.....so I think having to wait a few weeks to get it will be fine. BTW, he carries everywhere except to work where he is not allowed. If he goes to Publix he is CC'ing.

Yes, he has the same mentality that the ONE time he doesn't have it will be the time he needs it, so that baby goes everywhere he goes. I am not yet comfortable enough to carry mine although doing what I do, I really need to considering a Realtor was attacked in a house a couple of months ago, and one of my Realtor friends was held at gunpoint at an open house. But even after shooting at the range I'm still afraid I'm going to shoot myself with it.

It only took mine about 2 1/2 weeks to get approved so I think they tell you 4 but you may get it sooner. Just keep checking on the site.
The whole point is they are dragging their feet on purpose. It takes no more than 10 minutes in other surrounding counties to do the same thing Madison does. I bet no one would sleep well until their cancelled homeowners insurance was reinstated. Hey you've make it three years without the house burning down why not put it off for a few weeks. It can wait, right?

Old 07-22-2014, 04:25 PM

944 posts, read 1,186,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post
Go jogging around 10pm in some of the bad parts of Huntsville unarmed and let me know how it goes.
But, why would you? I would think it would be reasonable to NOT seek out a more volatile area - gun or no gun! Even if I carried a gun, or other form of protection, I have no intention of jogging, walking or strolling in an area known for its violence. Same as I don't park in an unlit area of a parking lot, alone and at 12 AM at night - since I don't carry a gun (can't shoot worth of nothing, too afraid of them) - I deliberately try to avoid areas where this could happen...if I were to walk through life, thinking about all the bad stuff that can happen to me...anywhere - I would never leave the house! I have faced far worse than an armed criminal and yet I try to live my life the same every day as I have always done!
Now if I was in LTC's situation, I would probably reconsider not carrying a gun (get on with it, lady!!)...if you got it, utilize it!

Old 07-22-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2517 View Post
But, why would you? I would think it would be reasonable to NOT seek out a more volatile area - gun or no gun! Even if I carried a gun, or other form of protection, I have no intention of jogging, walking or strolling in an area known for its violence. Same as I don't park in an unlit area of a parking lot, alone and at 12 AM at night - since I don't carry a gun (can't shoot worth of nothing, too afraid of them) - I deliberately try to avoid areas where this could happen...if I were to walk through life, thinking about all the bad stuff that can happen to me...anywhere - I would never leave the house! I have faced far worse than an armed criminal and yet I try to live my life the same every day as I have always done!
Now if I was in LTC's situation, I would probably reconsider not carrying a gun (get on with it, lady!!)...if you got it, utilize it!
Huntsville is not what I would consider safe at night. The crime is so spread out in huntsville.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:24 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,012 times
If you can control your paranoia, you'll be much more at peace with yourself. The gun will not help you with your fear. It will only make you more dangerous to yourself and others.

I usually phrase it like a joke, but it's true. If you want to avoid violent crime in Huntsville, just convince your family that domestic disputes aren't really what you're into.

And remember, if you point that thing at someone, it's their legal right to kill you. So just relax.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:37 PM

211 posts, read 340,710 times
Quote:
I actually have jogged around the neighborhoods between Sparkman and Stringfield at night. The only place I would refuse to go to at night in Huntsville is Blue Spring and Memorial, and Sparkman and Winchester. If I lived there then I might actually be concerned about having to wait 4 weeks for my CCW, but I would also probably just carry anyways like everybody else over there does.

Let's look at City Data's most recent year for crime which is 2012. I have broken down here the likelihood of any one individual falling victim to one of these specific crimes.

Burglary 1.1%
Or 1 in in 100

Assault 0.63%
Or 6 in 1000

Robbery 0.25%
Or 2 in 1000

Rape 0.039%
Or 4 in 10,000

Murder 0.0076%
Or 8 in 100,000

Looking at things like this is problematic, I'll give you that. For one, these figures take into account the whole city, whereas I would argue there are certainly safer and less safe parts of Huntsville. Although you did say this:

Quote:
Huntsville is not what I would consider safe at night. The crime is so spread out in huntsville.
I do think think you make a good point here:

Quote:
The whole point is they are dragging their feet on purpose. It takes no more than 10 minutes in other surrounding counties to do the same thing Madison does. I bet no one would sleep well until their cancelled homeowners insurance was reinstated. Hey you've make it three years without the house burning down why not put it off for a few weeks. It can wait, right?
Except for the fact that I don't consider having a gun on my person to be quite the insurance policy that you think that it is. To point back to my experience overseas, I knew of personnel who were armed who managed to get abducted out of port-a-potties with their pants down. It is generally better to avoid hazardous situations than to arm yourself to the teeth because if somebody makes you a target, they will likely identify then eliminate the options for self defense you have given yourself. I don't know your situation, though. I don't know where you live, where you work, or what you do. I feel compelled to at least express to you that you're coming off dangerously paranoid here.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
If you can control your paranoia, you'll be much more at peace with yourself. The gun will not help you with your fear. It will only make you more dangerous to yourself and others.

I usually phrase it like a joke, but it's true. If you want to avoid violent crime in Huntsville, just convince your family that domestic disputes aren't really what you're into.

And remember, if you point that thing at someone, it's their legal right to kill you. So just relax.
It's not paranoia. In the society we live in today CRIMINALS have more rights than you or I do. They know how to play the system. That's why they have little to no fear in committing the crimes they do. There are thugs even in this area that if you don't stop them they will take you out.

For any CC the first option is to get away. Having a larger family makes that harder to do. Let's say you retreat to you car and it doesn't start. What recourse do you have to stop the threat if they keep coming at you? Believe me I feel more comfortable with that gun on my side. I know that I may not be able to take on three guys ganging up on me by myself, but I stand a better chance with my weapon. The first argument people try to make when down playing CC is paranoia. I know people personally that have been in life or death situations and THAT is the very reason they started carrying. Every CC person isn't a Rambo or cop wannabe. As a matter of fact most are not. I'm not an open carry fanatic. I prefer concealed. It's a proven fact that places where armed citizens are known to be tend to have lower crime rates.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon_dax View Post
I actually have jogged around the neighborhoods between Sparkman and Stringfield at night. The only place I would refuse to go to at night in Huntsville is Blue Spring and Memorial, and Sparkman and Winchester. If I lived there then I might actually be concerned about having to wait 4 weeks for my CCW, but I would also probably just carry anyways like everybody else over there does.

Let's look at City Data's most recent year for crime which is 2012. I have broken down here the likelihood of any one individual falling victim to one of these specific crimes.

Burglary 1.1%
Or 1 in in 100

Assault 0.63%
Or 6 in 1000

Robbery 0.25%
Or 2 in 1000

Rape 0.039%
Or 4 in 10,000

Murder 0.0076%
Or 8 in 100,000

Looking at things like this is problematic, I'll give you that. For one, these figures take into account the whole city, whereas I would argue there are certainly safer and less safe parts of Huntsville. Although you did say this:

I do think think you make a good point here:

Except for the fact that I don't consider having a gun on my person to be quite the insurance policy that you think that it is. To point back to my experience overseas, I knew of personnel who were armed who managed to get abducted out of port-a-potties with their pants down. It is generally better to avoid hazardous situations than to arm yourself to the teeth because if somebody makes you a target, they will likely identify then eliminate the options for self defense you have given yourself. I don't know your situation, though. I don't know where you live, where you work, or what you do. I feel compelled to at least express to you that you're coming off dangerously paranoid here.
I agree that you want to avoid those situation, but sometimes those situation just can't be avoided. I prefer to keep my weapon hidden. I'm not an open carry proponent. I know we have people in the state that do it just to draw attention and that is something I just prefer not to do. It's not paranoia when people will kill you just to get $.50 off of you. Our judicial system has created a lot of these criminal monsters by not offering adequate punishment. They continue to do the crimes because it pays off for them. They don't care.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:21 PM

Just as a reminder these are the nut bags we are dealing with these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area