Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:48 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post
Criminals know how to work the system better than we do.
Wrong. We know how to function in the system better. We don't go to jail.

Quote:
The reason is they are in and out all the time.
The fact that they are in prison indicates they are not gaming the system. You also neglect to take into account the burden of restitution and fines. You clearly don't know what you're talking about, so let's move on to the next sentence...

Quote:
They know how everything works.
And at that gem of total worthlessness, I will give up on you.

I would suggest you change to a less dangerous insane obsession like UFOs or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 08:55 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
What you people need to understand is that it should NOT take 4 weeks to do what I am constitutionally guaranteed to do.
Oh, but I do. Its all the extra conspiracy theories and commentary on life, the criminal and the "system" and the need to have a weapon that I (and others) have issues with. It just doesn't line up with rationality or real life.

By all means write letters to whomever, vote against them etc etc...

Old 07-23-2014, 08:58 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
Quite frankly if you are getting that worked up over waiting for your CC permit, I'm not sure you need to own a firearm.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:01 AM

776 posts, read 745,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
You are trying to stop a crime committed against yourself. I am aware of my surroundings, but I do not call that paranioa. I do not believe having a concealed weapon would help people not be victims of the knockout game. It looks to me like people are picked that don't seem all that capable of defending themselves in a fight (elderly, women) and who aren't paying attention. If some one gets the drop on you, you aren't going to be able to draw your weapon. If you open carry, you are less likely to be a victim of this game IMO.

I don't live in Israel or Ukraine so I can not speak to that. I do live in Birmingham. I'm sure you've heard of it. Its the big bad city of rampant out of control crime that Huntsville parents tell their kids about in boogeyman type stories to keep them straight. So far I've made it nearly 40 years without a weapon. I'm also black and grew up in a black neighborhood. With so much of the scary sensationalized black on black crime, statistics say I probably shouldn't have made it out of my teens. I've been to the no-no areas of town like West End, Ensley, Pratt City, etc because those were the neighborhoods I grew up around, went to church in, etc etc. So I didn't just spend my time avoiding it. I can stop a threat, by not looking for it. I keep my wits about me, but I also have faith in God and I don't fear any man but Him. If the time comes and its me or somebody else, I will fight - but at the same time I just don't believe me having a gun on me at all times is going to stop some kid running up in a mall with an AR-15 and body armor or driving his car onto a sidewalk or store window where I happen to be walking or eating. The rest of the crime, like getting into a violent domestic dispute with my wife OR engaging in illegal activities with thieves, drug dealers or gang bangers I just avoid entirely. So I just don't worry about it.
The people in Aurora and Sandy hook stood no chance other than the mercy of the killer. Even the 32 killed at V-Tech in 2007 stood no chance other than the mercy of the killer. There was nobody there to stop them. These people weren't targeting armed individuals. They were targeting unarmed individuals. Having an armed person there to counter act their deeds could have made a huge difference. It would have been a huge surprise to get resistance from their targets. There are numerous videos on Youtube where CC stopped the criminals and actually several armed criminals. It does work and is very effective.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Quite frankly if you are getting that worked up over waiting for your CC permit, I'm not sure you need to own a firearm.
Seriously dude? It bothers me that constitutional right is being trampled on. Besides that's not up to you to decide. I have great respect for firearms and what they can do. I always have and I always will.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:10 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
The people in Aurora and Sandy hook stood no chance other than the mercy of the killer. Even the 32 killed at V-Tech in 2007 stood no chance other than the mercy of the killer. There was nobody there to stop them. These people weren't targeting armed individuals. They were targeting unarmed individuals. Having an armed person there to counter act their deeds could have made a huge difference. It would have been a huge surprise to get resistance from their targets. There are numerous videos on Youtube where CC stopped the criminals and actually several armed criminals. It does work and is very effective.
That doesn't involve me, because I am not a security guard. I am all for schools and daycares having secured buildings and/or armed security and better action plans for an active shooting event. I do not want you hanging out around my kids' school or daycare with your piece thinking you can stop a crime. I want trained professionals doing that. I also don't want you shooting across a restaurant or mall at some other person/threat because I might be in the crossfire, or your actions may impede law enforcement.

I'm going to have to leave you alone, because you jump around and change your stance too much. You talk about "not wanting to stop a crime" and personal protection but then you talk about armed citizens stopping crime being a primary motivation - (not to mention warzones and planes being shot down by missiles.)

Old 07-23-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
Wrong. We know how to function in the system better. We don't go to jail.

The fact that they are in prison indicates they are not gaming the system. You also neglect to take into account the burden of restitution and fines. You clearly don't know what you're talking about, so let's move on to the next sentence...

And at that gem of total worthlessness, I will give up on you.

I would suggest you change to a less dangerous insane obsession like UFOs or something.

You fail to take into account that they wise up after the first few times and figure out what gets them a lighter sentence. They learn when to speak and when to be silent. There are criminals that if you try to confront them they will try to push you buttons and draw you into a confrontation. If they can get you to act first then they legally have you and they know this. You are going to lose. For instance if you see a purse snatcher trying to grab a purse and you push him he'll accuse you of assault and you will be the one in trouble. That's what I mean when I say criminals have more rights than you or me. They know the criminal justice system better than the average citizen that plays by the rules.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
You fail to take into account that they wise up after the first few times and figure out what gets them a lighter sentence. They learn when to speak and when to be silent. There are criminals that if you try to confront them they will try to push you buttons and draw you into a confrontation. If they can get you to act first then they legally have you and they know this. You are going to lose. For instance if you see a purse snatcher trying to grab a purse and you push him he'll accuse you of assault and you will be the one in trouble. That's what I mean when I say criminals have more rights than you or me. They know the criminal justice system better than the average citizen that plays by the rules.

Every sentence you say here is wrong.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
That doesn't involve me, because I am not a security guard. I am all for schools and daycares having secured buildings and/or armed security and better action plans for an active shooting event. I do not want you hanging out around my kids' school or daycare with your piece thinking you can stop a crime. I want trained professionals doing that. I also don't want you shooting across a restaurant or mall at some other person/threat because I might be in the crossfire, or your actions may impede law enforcement.

I'm going to have to leave you alone, because you jump around and change your stance too much. You talk about "not wanting to stop a crime" and personal protection but then you talk about armed citizens stopping crime being a primary motivation - (not to mention warzones and planes being shot down by missiles.)

If 911 is your main protection you are fooling yourself.

You have a false sense of security that cops are here to protect us. They are not bodyguards. They are not everywhere at all times. They can't possibly be. It can take up to 5 minutes for a cop to even respond to an event and by the time they show up it's already done. If you think just because they are a cop automatically makes them a marksmen then you are sadly mistaken. There are gun enthusiast cops and I know some. Some cops ONLY shoot just to qualify the once or twice a year that is required. Again I'm not trying to take out an individual from across the store. My first option is to get out. Most CC confrontations take place within 3 to 5 feet. Although I'm sure you have story after story of collateral damage from CC.

I haven't changed my stance. I'm not carrying so I can go around and look for crimes to stop. I will stop a crime committed against myself and my family, but if I can get away that is my first and foremost option.

Last edited by weaverra; 07-23-2014 at 10:11 AM..

Old 07-23-2014, 10:08 AM

How many crimes committed against your family so far?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area