Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:55 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,277,450 times

Advertisements

I sincerely apologize for starting this thread.

I have made several attempts to delete it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 01:26 PM

626 posts, read 754,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post

No worries, the mods should be around at some point to clean this place up.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:40 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,121,751 times
How 'bout them Braves??!!

Old 07-28-2014, 07:11 AM

626 posts, read 754,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
How 'bout them Braves??!!
Ask Atlanta what they plan on doing with that nice empty stadium next year lol.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post

How could you possibly have known it would be a volatile post, Mr. Dave?! (no worries - bygones)

Old 07-28-2014, 09:28 PM

776 posts, read 745,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
How could you possibly have known it would be a volatile post, Mr. Dave?! (no worries - bygones)

My first post regarding the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post
If you are getting in this thing and it's not properly anchored you are fooling yourself. I wouldn't use a raw shipping container as an above ground fully exposed shelter anyway. Once the tornado starts rolling that thing around all the stuff in it will kill you. The wind loading would be tremendous on that thing full exposed on the broad side.
So inflammatory isn't it. One of the main problems in a forum setting is people tend to glaze over replies and fire off a quick reply before thinking about it. I didn't say "Hey, you fool what were you thinking" did I? I didn't call anyone a fool, but the person I replied to replied with the following post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
Let us establish a few things:
Do you live in the April 27 tornado path in Harvest? I do.
Do you own a storage container? I do.
Have you ever sit in one during a tornado? I have, a few times.

We have an area around the north end of my shop we call the stump garden. It includes a 42" oak stump.
Of the 8 houses on our street, only 2 remained livable, under the blue tarps (official flag of Harvest)
We lost neighbors. We lost part of our house. We lost uncountable trees.
Through all this the storage container didn't move 1cm. Didn't even vibrate much. Was it noisy? Beyond what I can describe. But it didn't move for an F5. I think my experience trumps your opinion.

Finally, please don't call me a fool until you get to know me a bit better. Like say in 4 weeks.
Just to keep the record straight.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:08 PM

218 posts, read 277,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
Let us establish a few things:
Do you live in the April 27 tornado path in Harvest? I do.
Do you own a storage container? I do.
Have you ever sit in one during a tornado? I have, a few times.

We have an area around the north end of my shop we call the stump garden. It includes a 42" oak stump.
Of the 8 houses on our street, only 2 remained livable, under the blue tarps (official flag of Harvest)
We lost neighbors. We lost part of our house. We lost uncountable trees.
Through all this the storage container didn't move 1cm. Didn't even vibrate much. Was it noisy? Beyond what I can describe. But it didn't move for an F5. I think my experience trumps your opinion.
Small caveat. The N. Alabama EF-5 tornado was never EF-5 in Madison County. It strengthened to EF-4 right around Anderson Hills, but stayed EF-3 before and aftewards. Your description sounds like an EF-2 level winds hit your house. Definitely not an EF-5.

NOAA Franklin (AL) / Lawrence / Morgan / Limestone / Madison / Franklin (TN) EF-5 storm survey

Old 07-29-2014, 01:47 PM

776 posts, read 745,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r x f View Post
Small caveat. The N. Alabama EF-5 tornado was never EF-5 in Madison County. It strengthened to EF-4 right around Anderson Hills, but stayed EF-3 before and aftewards. Your description sounds like an EF-2 level winds hit your house. Definitely not an EF-5.

NOAA Franklin (AL) / Lawrence / Morgan / Limestone / Madison / Franklin (TN) EF-5 storm survey

This was in Tanner "Several well-constructed homes with anchor bolting were completely wiped clean. One home had the debris lofted over 300 hundred yards with large items carried completely away. Intense ground scarring was noted in this area. In addition, a large cargo container was picked up and blown approximately 600 yards (.34 miles) and several cars were carried airborne for hundreds of yards"

This pictures is what an F5 did to a cargo container in Moore, OK. According to witness statements it was thrown over a quarter mile.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:00 PM

The point was already made and conceded... stop beating a dead horse. sheesh.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:06 PM

33 posts, read 41,547 times
Kewl pic! That sells me on getting a container for shelter. That is a light weight model and it is virtually unscathed!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area