Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 09:44 AM

183 posts, read 228,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
I wonder if someone said something similar to Enfinger Steele when they developed Heritage Plantation

But you are right, Jimmy Bryan is trying to get what he demands in Providence and he's not going to get it...not yet anyway. Too many unknowns at this point for pricing that aggressive.

He has those zoned as Rainbow Elementary, last I heard Madison wasn't going to assign schools in these new developments until homes were actually on the ground. If that has indeed been zoned Rainbow, that will be a problem. Not because Rainbow is a bad school, but can you imagine having to drive your kids all the way across town during morning commute down 72 to school, with 3 elementary schools within a few of miles of the neighborhood? That will not be desirable for buyers in that price point.

Also, the lack of any HOA information at this point is not going to help.
Also, I imagine if Madison city and Limestone county can't get the school funding worked out, some kind of uncomfortable, big change is going to come. I foresee Madison refusing students from Limestone county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 04:31 PM

2,451 posts, read 3,212,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyRuben View Post
Also, I imagine if Madison city and Limestone county can't get the school funding worked out, some kind of uncomfortable, big change is going to come. I foresee Madison refusing students from Limestone county.
If they are in the city limits, that seems like that would be difficult to do, especially since one of the schools is in Limestone County.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:35 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,951 times
Quote:
They cannot refuse students within Madison city limits, whether in Limestone or Madison County. Those students ARE in the city limits. You can't "unannex" people.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:31 PM

493 posts, read 712,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
Yep!
A couple more listings have popped up on the MLS that are smaller homes so the total price is cheaper than the first one I posted. One is 1695 square feet at priced $279,900 ($165.13 per sf) and the other is 2463 square feet priced at $349,900 ($142.06 per sf).

These are by a different builder called "The Builders Group".

These listings actually have the elementary school listed as Heritage Elementary but the zip code is wrong for the property address, it has it as 35758 when it should be 35756 since the Village at Oakland Springs is on the Limestone County side of Madison.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:54 PM

638 posts, read 696,333 times
Quote:
As others have observed, Madison City schools cannot refuse to admit city residents. Madison City schools are dealing with the loss of revenue (once Madison County quit paying Madison for students in Limestone), but the loss is only going to get worse as these areas west of CLR grow like mad.

I drove the area today. I was kind of amused by how nice it was for Huntsville to build a really nice 5 lane road straight from US 72 to the front entrance of this new development. So far, Holladay Blvd hasn't stimulated anything for the City of Huntsville. Has anybody heard of any plans to build anything along this relatively new corridor?

I wonder which municipality will be responsible for erecting and operating the inevitable traffic signal at this intersection.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:26 AM

183 posts, read 228,913 times
Yeah, yeah, yeah - I hear ya about Madison City Schools cannot refuse city residents. The 10 Commandments also can't be displayed on State House grounds but was for a time in AL. My point is simply that if the current round of negotiations between Madison and Limestone fail again, something drastic will have to be done. What gets results is when people are inconvenienced and nothing is more inconvenient for the white-collared denizens of the CLR neighborhoods than their kids not being admitted to school or something like programs, including sports, being cut. The situation as is, can not continue unabated.

The Builders Group has been active in Tuscaloosa and is expanding into out hot market.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:53 AM

2,451 posts, read 3,212,669 times
Quote:
Yeah, yeah, yeah - I hear ya about Madison City Schools cannot refuse city residents. The 10 Commandments also can't be displayed on State House grounds but was for a time in AL. My point is simply that if the current round of negotiations between Madison and Limestone fail again, something drastic will have to be done. What gets results is when people are inconvenienced and nothing is more inconvenient for the white-collared denizens of the CLR neighborhoods than their kids not being admitted to school or something like programs, including sports, being cut. The situation as is, can not continue unabated.
If the city is that concerned about it, they could stop issuing building permits. They are allowing growth that their infrastructure cannot sustain.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:17 AM

638 posts, read 696,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
If the city is that concerned about it, they could stop issuing building permits. They are allowing growth that their infrastructure cannot sustain.
At one point, building permit fees were a pretty big hunk of the Madison City budget.

edit: just looked. City is budgeted for $1.6 million in building permit fees for 2016, out of a total city budget a tad under $30 million. Not a pot of gold, but not chump change either.

City budget is here:

http://www.madisonal.gov/ArchiveCent...File/Item/2928

Madison makes big money off of beer. Property taxes are broken out by county, which gives a feel for how much of the property tax base is west of CLR. Interesting stuff.

Last edited by cooldiver; 03-20-2017 at 11:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area