Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 01:50 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,590,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
It is the same here. The tag follows the owner. You trade in a car on another, you transfer that plate to a new car.
Alabama has not always done it this way. Twenty years ago my wife sold someone her car and the plates stayed with the car. Since the plates still had 10 months on them the new owner didn't bother to change the registration. We got a call from the state police that said they found the car abandoned on the side of the road. Imagine the grief we would have had if that car had been in an accident or a crime had been committed with it. They would have been coming after my wife.

The plates staying with the old owner is a good way to force the new owner of the car to register the car in his name. The state only gives you 20 days to do this.

BTW, the owner was kind of hard headed in that he refused to take a bill of sale when he bought it. He changed his mind later when he tried to register it and get a new plate. The license department refused to give him a new plate until he proved how much he had paid for the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 02:58 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,757,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
Alabama has not always done it this way.
I knew that, I just didn't think it was relevant to get in to. They surely felt this new system is a better way of doing things, especially to avoid incidents like your wife had. The main point is, it is not just Alabama's way - but several state's way.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:28 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,083,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgkrudi View Post
Then why are the new plates we received the exact same design as the others we had? We literally received an exact copy of each plate we received when we moved here in April. It just seems so.....stupid and wasteful, and odd. Oh well!
This is a 'one off' deal. They are going for standardization. Did you notice that the new tags do not have raised letters and numbers and that it has a different reflectivity.

These are a new trend nationally and easier to read and much cheaper to produce. Now don't worry they won't bother you for a while. (or until another major change occurrs)

Only problem I can see is that the blind will not be able to identify a license with a flat plate. (seriously)

Old 08-08-2014, 05:37 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,121,751 times
It's probably just another way for someone (or entity) to justify it's existence.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:19 PM

114 posts, read 112,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
This is a 'one off' deal. They are going for standardization. Did you notice that the new tags do not have raised letters and numbers and that it has a different reflectivity.
Neither my April plates nor my August plates have raised letters. My April plates were the brand-new ones they rolled out. In fact, the DMV agent commented on it when we got them back in April.

Again, I say, they are identical. Such a waste. I do think -- as I wondered in my original post -- the DMV messed up when they processed our renewal order. They should have just sent us stickers.

Of course, all our friends and coworkers are wondering why the heck we didn't get the ROLL TIDE ROLL plates! Nothing against the Tide, and we won't cheer against them until they play our Wisconsin Badgers on September 5, 2015...

Old 08-08-2014, 11:22 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,083,733 times
Quote:
Neither my April plates nor my August plates have raised letters. My April plates were the brand-new ones they rolled out. In fact, the DMV agent commented on it when we got them back in April.

Again, I say, they are identical. Such a waste. I do think -- as I wondered in my original post -- the DMV messed up when they processed our renewal order. They should have just sent us stickers.

Of course, all our friends and coworkers are wondering why the heck we didn't get the ROLL TIDE ROLL plates! Nothing against the Tide, and we won't cheer against them until they play our Wisconsin Badgers on September 5, 2015...

I wondered why I was getting new plates until I saw the new ones. I had the two specialty plates for seven years with only sticker replacements.

I would say that you got caught in a bureaucratic tangle. Good luck with the ACA.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:31 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Bowman View Post
What about when you get married? When a newly aquired spouse goes next May(H) to do her tags, will it only be good until Feb(B)?
"Acquired"?

Do you pay sales tax for your new wife?

Old 08-09-2014, 09:20 AM

2,992 posts, read 3,573,449 times
Quote:

you dont want to be associated with a homegrown terrorist cult

Old 08-09-2014, 09:30 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,757,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Bowman View Post
What about when you get married? When a newly aquired spouse goes next May(H) to do her tags, will it only be good until Feb(B)?
Depends on if she takes her husband's last name and register's her car with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
you dont want to be associated with a homegrown terrorist cult
Sounds like haterism to me. Even when you guys's are up you feel inferior.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:49 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,033,958 times
Texas won in merchandise sold. Alabama was second. Auburn was not in the top 10. So, yeah, I see that.

Texas Longhorns again top merchandise sales list - ESPN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: