U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-05-2009, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Hville
1,526 posts, read 2,556,407 times
Reputation: 470

Advertisements

I hadn't heard much about Marco's, and that was from Sarge's Dad quite a while back. Any reports?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2009, 04:53 PM
 
41 posts, read 116,420 times
Reputation: 25
Lived in Huntsville 84-88 and have lived all over. The best pizza comes from the northeast US hands down. The rest of the country just does not do it (part f it is the water hardness, which has to do with making a great dough). I do not know about now, but back in the day Huntsville had great chinese, great sushi and there were some great barbecue places (Nolans, Gibsons, Greenbriar, and Thomas Pit Barbeque)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2009, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Hville
1,526 posts, read 2,556,407 times
Reputation: 470
No argument about the northeast. I lived in Connecticut for six years, pizza heaven.

Anyway, with Tortora's (guy is from Connecticut), and Mellow Mushroom, pizza is on the upswing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2009, 11:35 AM
 
1,831 posts, read 2,198,816 times
Reputation: 2823
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
I hadn't heard much about Marco's, and that was from Sarge's Dad quite a while back. Any reports?
I like it better than Domino's, but I like my own better.

Marco's crust is more flavorful than the other chains, although last time it seemed a bit flat. They may have run out of their regular dough and were using their emergency stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2009, 08:39 AM
 
Location: BNA -> HSV
1,963 posts, read 3,470,299 times
Reputation: 1505
We made the trip from Madison to Tortora's over the weekend and were extremely impressed. The pizza was exceptional and the atmosphere and staff were all very nice. I don't see any point waiting for 30+ minutes at Mellow Mushroom, when Tortora's is only like a 20 minute drive or so. Also, we had no wait on a Saturday, although business appeared to remain steady. I think this is going to be our new "go-to" pizza place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2009, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Hville
1,526 posts, read 2,556,407 times
Reputation: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
We made the trip from Madison to Tortora's over the weekend and were extremely impressed. The pizza was exceptional and the atmosphere and staff were all very nice. I don't see any point waiting for 30+ minutes at Mellow Mushroom, when Tortora's is only like a 20 minute drive or so. Also, we had no wait on a Saturday, although business appeared to remain steady. I think this is going to be our new "go-to" pizza place.
Its been mine for over a year now, welcome to the club
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2009, 08:45 AM
 
122 posts, read 316,555 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
We made the trip from Madison to Tortora's over the weekend and were extremely impressed. The pizza was exceptional and the atmosphere and staff were all very nice. I don't see any point waiting for 30+ minutes at Mellow Mushroom, when Tortora's is only like a 20 minute drive or so. Also, we had no wait on a Saturday, although business appeared to remain steady. I think this is going to be our new "go-to" pizza place.
I haven't been to Tortora's yet...need to try it. I have eaten at MM and pretty much all of the others. Marco's is by far my favorite in Huntsville/Madison. Their toppings are very, very good and their crust has flavor as well.

How about a list of the WORST pizza places around town?

1. Chuck E Cheese...OMG that stuff is Narsty.
2. CiCis
3. Dominos

There should be a law...none of those places should even be able to call what they make pizza. Especially CEC and CiCis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2009, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Huntsville, AL
99 posts, read 221,040 times
Reputation: 42
Ok, finally went to Tommy's pizza this weekend.... and was not very impressed. Sparse toppings, mediocre crust (but then, I don't care for thin crust). It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't that good either. Maybe it's better if you order a whole pizza rather than by the slice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2009, 10:02 AM
 
4,925 posts, read 9,775,603 times
Reputation: 3268
Well, to add my two cents worth...

I've been in the area off and on (mostly on) for the last 30 years and have bemoaned the lack of good pizza in the area all along. I spent quite awhile reading this thread getting opinions (thank you all) just to file away ideas for whenever I'm in town (I live in a neighboring county and don't get in very often anymore).
Last night my wife and I were in the Providence area and hit the Mellow Mushroom, with high hopes. We had been to one years ago in another city and thought it was ok--that's all, but still figured it had to be better than what we'd found in H'ville so far.

We got there, on a Friday night at about 6:45 and was told it would be an 45-60 minute wait. Ok, there was some band playing under a tent across the street and some kind of real estate company "to do" so we wandered in like we belonged and hung out there for a few.
Went back after about 30 minutes, which was good, because they called our name not long after. Ok, good--a 35 minutes wait.
Ordered, nachos, a small mighty meaty and their buffalo wing pizza. We thought it was better than anything else we'd found so far in H'ville, but, still thought it was just ok. Didn't think it was good enough that we'd be telling people "you gotta try this place", but that it was ok. Service was great...we had a great waiter, really paid attention to drinks, etc.

One thing we noticed, and I'm sure we're overly picky (I mean it, I'm sure we are.) but in the place you can see the people making the pizza. None of them were wearing hairnets, and they were all pretty shaggy. Twice people wandered in off the street and went back into the kitchen and the area where they were making the pizza. I guess maybe they worked there, but apparantly weren't working this shift. Both times, both groups wandered back there, hugging everyone who worked there, hanging out back there just shooting the breeze--for quite a while. One group was, um, feeling no pain. Kind of put us off a little bit.
I knew an old preacher who once said it takes more faith to eat in a restaraunt than to believe in God, and I kind of subscribe to that idea. If people are going to hang out in the kitchen, I'd just as soon not know it. Sometimes I'd rather not see my food made, kinda like sausage.

I'd go back...but I've had better pizza.
Next on the list, Sam and Greg's, Tortura's, Tony's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2009, 05:52 PM
 
Location: North Alabama
567 posts, read 1,554,598 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Well, to add my two cents worth...

I've been in the area off and on (mostly on) for the last 30 years and have bemoaned the lack of good pizza in the area all along. I spent quite awhile reading this thread getting opinions (thank you all) just to file away ideas for whenever I'm in town (I live in a neighboring county and don't get in very often anymore).
Last night my wife and I were in the Providence area and hit the Mellow Mushroom, with high hopes. We had been to one years ago in another city and thought it was ok--that's all, but still figured it had to be better than what we'd found in H'ville so far.

We got there, on a Friday night at about 6:45 and was told it would be an 45-60 minute wait. Ok, there was some band playing under a tent across the street and some kind of real estate company "to do" so we wandered in like we belonged and hung out there for a few.
Went back after about 30 minutes, which was good, because they called our name not long after. Ok, good--a 35 minutes wait.
Ordered, nachos, a small mighty meaty and their buffalo wing pizza. We thought it was better than anything else we'd found so far in H'ville, but, still thought it was just ok. Didn't think it was good enough that we'd be telling people "you gotta try this place", but that it was ok. Service was great...we had a great waiter, really paid attention to drinks, etc.

One thing we noticed, and I'm sure we're overly picky (I mean it, I'm sure we are.) but in the place you can see the people making the pizza. None of them were wearing hairnets, and they were all pretty shaggy. Twice people wandered in off the street and went back into the kitchen and the area where they were making the pizza. I guess maybe they worked there, but apparantly weren't working this shift. Both times, both groups wandered back there, hugging everyone who worked there, hanging out back there just shooting the breeze--for quite a while. One group was, um, feeling no pain. Kind of put us off a little bit.
I knew an old preacher who once said it takes more faith to eat in a restaraunt than to believe in God, and I kind of subscribe to that idea. If people are going to hang out in the kitchen, I'd just as soon not know it. Sometimes I'd rather not see my food made, kinda like sausage.

I'd go back...but I've had better pizza.
Next on the list, Sam and Greg's, Tortura's, Tony's.
You should have went arounf the corner to Tony's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top