U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2009, 09:06 AM

5,844 posts, read 15,901,573 times

Advertisements

Roman Rooster's in Priceville. Get off I-65 South and turn left (or east) on Alabama 67. The restaurant is about a half-mile or so on the left. Very good pizza. Not a fancy place, though. They bring you a paper plate to put your piece of pizza on.

They also have a location in Decatur on the Beltline. Soft drinks only, no beer (both locations).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 01:02 PM

1,526 posts, read 2,551,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Roman Rooster's in Priceville. Get off I-65 South and turn left (or east) on Alabama 67. The restaurant is about a half-mile or so on the left. Very good pizza. Not a fancy place, though. They bring you a paper plate to put your piece of pizza on.

They also have a location in Decatur on the Beltline. Soft drinks only, no beer (both locations).
Southlander - what is your favorite of theses Huntsville offerings?

1) Mellow Mushroom
2) Tortoras
3) Sam & Greg's
4) New place in Museum
5) Village Pizza in Athens
6) Tommy's

thanks

Old 09-06-2009, 03:29 PM

Thanks for asking Eddie, but I have to confess I've been to none of them.

I have been to the 'Shroom in Auburn, Chattanooga, and Tuscaloosa. And Atlanta, I think. The pizza is OK.

I used to think Everybody's in Atlanta was the top of the heap, but I don't think they're so special anymore.

My dad served the first pizza (to my knowledge) in Decatur. He arrived in 1961 to manage the Bowline Drive-In Theatre, and added pizza to the concession stand offerings. The crust was frozen! The sauce came in a big can, and the cheese was in a plastic bag. You had a choice: cheese, pepperoni, or hamburger. And it wasn't just pizza - it was "pizza pie." About 1963, Mr. Armando de Quesado and his family arrived. They were Cuban refugees. Mr. de Quesado set up a restaurant, Mando's (there was one in Huntsville, too, but I don't know if he owned it or was a franchisee), that served pizza that was virtually identical to the drive-in version.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the info Southlander. So is Roman Rooster's better than Mushy?

If so, I'm going to add it to my list of places to sample.

Thanks again.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
So is Roman Rooster's better than Mushy?
I would have to say yes.
But remember - no beer served.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:09 PM

i'm not a big beer drinker, so that's fine. Thanks Southlander - I'll have to check it out.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:21 AM

23 posts, read 47,388 times
I give a BIG thumbs up to the restaurant in the Museum of Art building. I think it is called Pane Vino. The ingredients are all very fresh and you can sit on the lake while dining and enjoying a cocktail. Their Tiramisu is great, as is their Affogato. If you order one of their salads, which I highly recommend, make sure you split it with another person...unles it will be your whole meal.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:26 PM

567 posts, read 1,551,814 times
Went to Tony's last night and had a Napoli....Sure beat the heck out of MM Friday night.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:35 AM

339 posts, read 523,060 times
Default Papa Murphy's

I'm resurrecting the dead Pizza thread for this.

Has anyone tried Papa Murphy's (Madison in the Publix shopping center on Hwy 72, two doors down from Casa Blanca). It's a take and bake chain - they make it there in front of you and you take it home and bake it yourself. We got their $5.99 pepperoni pizza special ($5 off regular price) last night to try it out for the first time.

The crust was nice and crispy, but it was the greasiest pizza I've had in a very long time.I didn't think that the taste was a whole let better than a frozen pizza. I don't think I'd even spend the $6 again on a pizza from there, much less more at regular price. One person told me that they never have grease problems, but they never get meat on their pizza. I don't know if the pepperoni was bad or if it's just this location.

Jake

Old 10-08-2009, 07:47 AM

Thanks Jake. I wasn't planning on trying it, despite the many coupons I've gotten. I'm still holding out hope that Tortora's will make a move to East Limestone in 2010 and I'll be happy as a lark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area