U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 09:43 AM

2,064 posts, read 6,006,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
We tried Sam & Greg's: Got a plain cheese pizza - would rate it a 3, but then we also got a Guido and that was pretty good, maybe an 8.

I still want to open my own place
Sarges Dad, I would make the trip and make up your own mind. I think Sam and Greg's is very good and everyone I know who has tried it really likes it, including a New Yorker. I can't see how their plain cheese rates a 3 and the Guido an 8. Same crust, same sauce, same cheese... That is the whole base of the pizza, the toppings can't take it from a bad pie to good one. I usually get the veggie or the deluxe and they are both good, they use very good, fresh veggies. I also like their crust, it is hand tossed, soft not chewy. It isn't NYC style, but it is very good pizza made with high quality ingredients. And before you get all snobby about southerners not knowing about good pizza, I've had great pizza in Italy, NYC, Boston, Buffalo, Chicago... They are all different styles, but I've had great, mediocre and bad pizza in all those places. Ironically, some of the worst pizza was in Italy. They seemed to try to make it how they thought the American tourists would like it, it was hard to find places that made true Naples style pizza but then again, I didn't make it that far south.

A friend tried Marco's and said it was good, not great. But it was reasonably priced and they delivered. Given the choice between the other chains that delivered to his house, he said he would pick Marco's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 09:53 AM

1,526 posts, read 2,552,532 times
I will try Sam & Greg's again. The cheese pizza - well it tasted like they used cheddar/mozerrella/ parmesan - as opposed to just mozerrella. They undercooked the crust and it was a pretty flimsy.

The Guido - crust was much better, soft, but still crispy. Heavier pizza slices and they didn't wilt like the cheese. I'll ask for extra sauce next time and that would be a solid 9.

Service - i'm not a fan of ordering pizza at the counter or any food other than fast food. I made the mistake of tipping first (never doing this again). I ordered a second coke (Why no fountain?) and they asked if I had a tab. If I had known, I'd have run a tab.

S&G's - pretty good. Comparing it to what I've eaten so far, its worth another shot and the Guido was the best I've had in town so far.

I finally saw the Star markets and signs for Terry's pizza everywhere. Are all Terry's closed? Is the Star market Terry's pizza better than S&G's?

Marco - I stopped by there, was hoping to give it a shot. If I lived out there, it might be a different story.

Mellow Mushroom: Passed by there again yesterday, nothing seems to have been done in over a month.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:38 AM

567 posts, read 1,552,224 times
I will give S&G's a shot. I have eaten so much pizza the last week that nothing would taste good. All Terry's locations are closed. They sold the equipment and recipie to Star market. Do not take one home and and cook it. Let them cook it in their brick oven. I have not had one in several months, but last one I had was the best pizza in town. Maro's was very reasonable priced but tasted very much like Domino's. I will eat again, but not in my top 6 list.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:42 PM

Sounds good.

Marco's - might try it for lunch one day.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:08 PM

2,064 posts, read 6,006,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
I will try Sam & Greg's again. The cheese pizza - well it tasted like they used cheddar/mozerrella/ parmesan - as opposed to just mozerrella. They undercooked the crust and it was a pretty flimsy.

The Guido - crust was much better, soft, but still crispy. Heavier pizza slices and they didn't wilt like the cheese. I'll ask for extra sauce next time and that would be a solid 9.

Service - i'm not a fan of ordering pizza at the counter or any food other than fast food. I made the mistake of tipping first (never doing this again). I ordered a second coke (Why no fountain?) and they asked if I had a tab. If I had known, I'd have run a tab.

S&G's - pretty good. Comparing it to what I've eaten so far, its worth another shot and the Guido was the best I've had in town so far.
I believe they are still new to this whole restaurant business, this becomes obvious when they are really busy on weekend nights. Stop by for lunch one day, things are more low key and service is usually better. They did a wonderful job renovating that place. The owners built the bar from scratch. They are a truly local place trying to bring a little much needed life to downtown. I applaud them for having the guts to do it. I hope they do well and keep working the kinks out.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:19 PM

I think I need to start a Pizza restaurant consulting business

Old 04-12-2008, 11:17 PM

okay tonight was in Limestone and found Village Pizza. Have to say, this was pretty good. Service was very friendly, and pizza had great sauce and one of my fave toppings, Canadian Bacon.

This was the best I've had so far. Would be a solid Connecticut pizza place, not among the big guns, but two steps below.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:53 AM

Glad you made it to God's country.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:53 AM

6 posts, read 11,995 times
I live close to Village Pizza. My wife, from NJ, hated pizza down here until she had Tony's Little Itally and Village. Village is close to a NJ pizza, not quite but good enough she'll eat it without complaint.

Tony's started out, and I think still has, a small place South of 565 on Wall-trianna. The owners are from NJ or NY, and make some really good Itallian style sandwiches, hot and cold. The Wall-Trianna location is very small and kind of a dump but the food is good, But NO PIZZA there.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:21 PM

I am like her. Love Little Tony's. Like Village a lot. You need to call Star Market and have them cook you a Terry's pizza. I think you will love it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area