U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 03:00 PM

216 posts, read 218,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Its actually state dependent. Some gas taxes do go to highway funds here in Alabama, but not all. I know living in Florida tags/registration ended up funding highway patrol directly.

Since tags are considered a property tax on cars, bikes riding the roads could have property tax applied too, if property tax is going to fund the roads.
It depends by state, but the majority of road monies comes from indirect funding (non-vehicle property and sales tax) in all states that I know of. AL and FL included.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 03:03 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,401,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Huff View Post
I'm a fat guy. It may be worth letting them hit me and see who comes out ahead.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:09 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,879,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r x f View Post
It depends by state, but the majority of road monies comes from indirect funding (non-vehicle property and sales tax) in all states that I know of. AL and FL included.
What do the license plate renewal fees in AL fund? I'm just curious.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:05 PM

446 posts, read 648,453 times
The cyclist that was hit this morning had blinking red lights on the front and rear of the bicycle. In order to be hit, especially at 5:15, the driver was COMPLETELY NEGLIGENT.

If a cyclists causes you to get where you are going 1 minute later than you otherwise would have, TOO BAD

How about getting your lazy ass off the couch and biking yourself.

Having said all that, SOME cyclists should use more common sense regarding when and where they ride.

Also, sidewalks are no place for bikes, visibility is terrible for people backing out of driveways/stores/etc. No one is looking for a bike on the sidewalk when they are leaving a store.

And in most cases, greenways are overrun with rude pedestrians who want to block the entire greenway, even though there is a clearly marked bike lane.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:45 PM

1,977 posts, read 3,695,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP79 View Post

Just because someone doesn't road bike doesn't mean they are lazy. I can think of numerous people who are in amazing shape, but don't care for road biking.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:25 PM

626 posts, read 649,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Just because someone doesn't road bike doesn't mean they are lazy. I can think of numerous people who are in amazing shape, but don't care for road biking.
Absolutely. I am in great shape and despise biking. I think the guy you quoted was a little too pro-biking.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:09 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,666,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP79 View Post
The cyclist that was hit this morning had blinking red lights on the front and rear of the bicycle. In order to be hit, especially at 5:15, the driver was COMPLETELY NEGLIGENT.

If a cyclists causes you to get where you are going 1 minute later than you otherwise would have, TOO BAD

Having said all that, SOME cyclists should use more common sense regarding when and where they ride.

Also, sidewalks are no place for bikes, visibility is terrible for people backing out of driveways/stores/etc. No one is looking for a bike on the sidewalk when they are leaving a store.

And in most cases, greenways are overrun with rude pedestrians who want to block the entire greenway, even though there is a clearly marked bike lane.

I don't care if the cyclist had an airport beacon on top of his head. If he was riding on a paved street meant for motorized vehicles when it was dark outside, he is an IDIOT and was COMPLETELY NEGLIGENT with his own life. I have seen them riding with those little bitty blinking lights when it was almost dark and I can see how it would be easily missed. Another thing to consider is it is a single little blinking light so there is no way for your depth perception to calculate how far away or how fast the object with said light is traveling. It is just an accident waiting to happen.

It boils down to he chose to get on the road where he is competing for turf with 3500 pound vehicles and an accident happened. He shouldn't be all that surprised.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:28 AM

295 posts, read 398,106 times
I really wish we had safe and easy to maneuver bike trails in this area. I would love to ride my bike but there is no way I'm getting on the roads we have and trust my right to share the road to keep me from getting killed.

I went to college in Milwaukee. Even back in those days, the city had bike trails that were paved, marked, and signed like a real road. There were passing lanes, slow areas, 4 way stops, etc. The smartest part to me was the fact that these trails were mostly a good distance from any road. While some followed a street for a way, most of the trails cut through parks and others at least had a wide strip of land between the trail and the traffic. You could go pretty much anywhere around town without actually getting close to cars. That was some time ago and from a quick internet search, it looks like they've only improved on the quality and number of miles available. To me, a similar plan here would be the only safe way to bike around town. I just don't see that happening for many reasons.

Even if Huntsville mandated 20 feet of existing roadway as bike lanes on every single road in town, I don't think I'd venture out there on two wheels. I can't wrap my biking rights around me like armor and be protected. All the blinking lights and reflective clothing in the world won't make an ounce of difference if either a car or I am distracted for a moment. And with the way some of our fellow drivers behave on the road (no one on this forum, of course!) car drivers have their hands full dodging things bigger than bikes. Yes, when driving we should be mindful of all things on the road but sometimes things just happen and we don't see things like we should or even in time to react.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I have friends that ride bikes on the roads, even on 4 land highways. I think they are nuts myself.

Some of these bicyclists have this "we have just as much right to be on the road as anyone" attitude. While legally they are correct but that doesn't mean it is a very smart thing to do.

My position on it is, paved roads, in particular 4 lane highways; are designed for quick and efficient travel for motorized vehicles capable of maintaining higher speeds continuously. Riding a bicycle on these roads creates a hazardous situation because the bicycles are typically traveling much slower and are harder to see. It is not only a danger to the person riding the bicycle but also to all the motorists who come around a curve or over a hill and suddenly find someone or a group riding bicycles in the middle of the road at speeds sometimes 40 or 50 miles per hour slower. It is an absolute miracle more of them aren't killed every year.
What is a "4 land highway"? I am a cyclist for over 10 years and do not know of anyone nor do I myself ride on highways with speeds over 45 miles per hour. The gentleman who was hit on Bailey Cove Road yesterday was not on a highway.

What if you are traveling on a winding road or over a hill? Shouldn't you be driving cautiously anyway, not knowing what could be on the other side? Suppose it wasn't a cyclist in the road? Suppose it is a broken down car or livestock that has gotten loose? Drive cautiously, watching for anything in the road.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I don't care if the cyclist had an airport beacon on top of his head. If he was riding on a paved street meant for motorized vehicles when it was dark outside, he is an IDIOT and was COMPLETELY NEGLIGENT with his own life. I have seen them riding with those little bitty blinking lights when it was almost dark and I can see how it would be easily missed. Another thing to consider is it is a single little blinking light so there is no way for your depth perception to calculate how far away or how fast the object with said light is traveling. It is just an accident waiting to happen.

It boils down to he chose to get on the road where he is competing for turf with 3500 pound vehicles and an accident happened. He shouldn't be all that surprised.
That is an uncalled for insult to the gentleman who is injured. He took several precautions. It is the motor vehicle driver who hit him that is the idiot and completely negligent. The cyclist exceeded what was legally required of him. Read the Code for the State of Alabama: Alabama Traffic Code
Click [URL="http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/ACASLoginMac.asp"]HERE[/URL] to begin. Once on the website do the following: Select the left blue tab called Code of Ala then select view or search on the left blue column. Select View Title 32 Chapter 5A Article 12 for those sections about bicycles.

Paved roads were first lobbied for by cyclists. Yes, they were responsible for those roads and have allowed cars to share them for years. How do you miss a blinking red light? Perhaps one should slow down because you never know what could be in your path? Why do you think cars own the road anyway? The car-centric culture has led to the misconception of motorists believing bicycles do not belong on roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area