U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2014, 05:01 PM
 
2,863 posts, read 3,681,110 times
Reputation: 5728

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillemomof2 View Post
What is a "4 land highway"? I am a cyclist for over 10 years and do not know of anyone nor do I myself ride on highways with speeds over 45 miles per hour. The gentleman who was hit on Bailey Cove Road yesterday was not on a highway.

What if you are traveling on a winding road or over a hill? Shouldn't you be driving cautiously anyway, not knowing what could be on the other side? Suppose it wasn't a cyclist in the road? Suppose it is a broken down car or livestock that has gotten loose? Drive cautiously, watching for anything in the road.
Sorry, 4 lane highway......

We are discussing bicyclists riding on roads in general, not just this particular accident. However, Bailey Cove is a busy 4 lane road and the speed limit is at least 45 in places. It is not very smart to be riding a bike on a 4 lane road with speeds of 45 at night and this accident is evidence of the dangers.

I see them riding on Highway 431 between Hampton Cove and Guntersville fairly often. In the last 10 years or so there have been two people killed on bicycles in that area.

As for a winding road or over a hill, I am driving the speed limit. I don't know what is on the other side but that is just part of driving and if I get there and a car or livestock is in the road, it gets hit I guess; just like the tree I hit back a few years ago that was in the road over a hill. I am glad it wasn't some knucklehead on a bicycle in the road instead though.

Just for fun, let's do a little math. Say I am on a road with a 60mph speed limit and I am traveling at the speed limit. I am traveling 88 ft/second. Say I top a hill and right over the hill is someone in my lane on a bicycle traveling 20mph which is 29.33 ft/second. That means my effective rate of gain on them is 58.66 ft/second. I will be generous and say they are 100ft ahead of me when I top the hill and see them. That means I have less than 2 seconds to react, brake and maneuver to miss them (assuming I see them as soon as I top the hill). Do you trust everyone on the road with your life and less than 2 seconds? If so, ride your bike on the road. I sure don't, it is bad enough driving a car on the road.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-27-2014, 08:25 PM
 
224 posts, read 308,090 times
Reputation: 221
Huntsville is not bike friendly. I live off of Slaughter Road and see people biking on that road every day. Not smart!

I happen to bike but I hit the greenway and I bike to it in a roundabout way. I go way out of my way so I don't have to ride on Slaughter road. I value my life and I respect that the cars on the road would have to risk their lives, other drivers and mine trying to pass me.

I just bought a bike rack so I can not the various greenways in the Huntsville area without biking the roads to get there. I sympathize with avid bikers who want to use the roadway but Huntsvillle and Madison just don't seem to want to create bike friendly roads

If you want to bike on the road, Reaearch Park seems to be the safest area I have seen
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 09:47 PM
 
Location: Madison, AL
168 posts, read 282,358 times
Reputation: 215
As for the felon that ran over the cyclist, I hope they find him and throw him in jail (won't happen). The cyclist had 6 (SIX) lights on and a reflective vest, and is well-known in the local cycling community for following the rules (as best as you can in this hostile environment).

We can argue about the whole biking thing until the sun comes up, but here is how it is going down....... Huntsville will continue to attract top talent from other places and those people (myself included... I'm from another place, not top talent) come from civilized places where rednecks aren't trying to run their butts over just because they choose to try to get some exercise on a bike for 1 hour out of 168 each week. You want talent? You want entrepreneurs? You want jobs? Well..... get used to seeing cyclists because there will be 3-5X what you see today within 10 years around here. We're just getting started. Fortunately, cycling gets safer the more bikes are on the roads... which then becomes a virtuous cycle where more cyclists ride because more cyclists ride!!! Ha ha ha.... we are like a disease, rednecks! WE ARE COMING FOR YOUR ROADS!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 09:51 PM
 
2,513 posts, read 2,284,785 times
Reputation: 1734
So if cyclists can ride the roads, why can't ATVs?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 04:28 AM
 
Location: BNA -> HSV
1,977 posts, read 3,703,907 times
Reputation: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Missourian View Post
As for the felon that ran over the cyclist, I hope they find him and throw him in jail (won't happen). The cyclist had 6 (SIX) lights on and a reflective vest, and is well-known in the local cycling community for following the rules (as best as you can in this hostile environment).

We can argue about the whole biking thing until the sun comes up, but here is how it is going down....... Huntsville will continue to attract top talent from other places and those people (myself included... I'm from another place, not top talent) come from civilized places where rednecks aren't trying to run their butts over just because they choose to try to get some exercise on a bike for 1 hour out of 168 each week. You want talent? You want entrepreneurs? You want jobs? Well..... get used to seeing cyclists because there will be 3-5X what you see today within 10 years around here. We're just getting started. Fortunately, cycling gets safer the more bikes are on the roads... which then becomes a virtuous cycle where more cyclists ride because more cyclists ride!!! Ha ha ha.... we are like a disease, rednecks! WE ARE COMING FOR YOUR ROADS!
You're clearly showing your civilized side here...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 05:49 AM
 
40 posts, read 36,431 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
So if cyclists can ride the roads, why can't ATVs?
I may take my Raptor down the greenway
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 07:00 AM
 
2,513 posts, read 2,284,785 times
Reputation: 1734
My post was a little trollish. Let me explain. In some states, not sure about Alabama, dirt bikes that are purchased street legal may be driven on the roads. Dirt bikes purchased for recreation in many states, even with turn signals and proper lighting making them street legal, are still not allowed on the roads. ATVs typically aren't allowed on most roads either, even those with lights and turn signals. In some states mopeds aren't legal either. Why? My guess is safety. So I have to then, from a safety point of view, if certain motored vehicles aren't allowed on the roads, why are cyclists allowed on the roads? What makes riding a bike safer than riding an ATV or dirt bike with all the required lighting?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 07:09 AM
 
2 posts, read 2,614 times
Reputation: 16
I bike Bailey Cove as this cyclist did, usually early in the morning (as he did), with blinking lights, bright headlight, bright clothes etc.

I bike this early in the morning because there is very, very little traffic on the road. It's a four lane road with a center turn lane. This is NOT a two lane road with blind spots and hills. I only ride it to get to the Greenway or to get home.

At that time of the day, there wasn't bumper to bumper traffic where the car had no options or was forced into the cyclist. The driver almost had to have been negligent barring some bizarre behavior on the cyclist.

The next step for cyclists is to purchase bike-cams to try to document these drivers negligence.

Hope they catch what is likely a felon in this case.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 07:20 AM
 
2,513 posts, read 2,284,785 times
Reputation: 1734
Quote:
Originally Posted by docderwood View Post
I bike Bailey Cove as this cyclist did, usually early in the morning (as he did), with blinking lights, bright headlight, bright clothes etc.

I bike this early in the morning because there is very, very little traffic on the road. It's a four lane road with a center turn lane. This is NOT a two lane road with blind spots and hills. I only ride it to get to the Greenway or to get home.

At that time of the day, there wasn't bumper to bumper traffic where the car had no options or was forced into the cyclist. The driver almost had to have been negligent barring some bizarre behavior on the cyclist.

The next step for cyclists is to purchase bike-cams to try to document these drivers negligence.

Hope they catch what is likely a felon in this case.
The problem with blinking lights is that while it indicates that someone is there, they do not allow for depth perception like a bright full running light. As one gets closer to a headlight, one can tell how far away that a car/motor cycle is as it gets brighter. Full up running lights would be far safer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 07:42 AM
 
626 posts, read 649,928 times
Reputation: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
The problem with blinking lights is that while it indicates that someone is there, they do not allow for depth perception like a bright full running light. As one gets closer to a headlight, one can tell how far away that a car/motor cycle is as it gets brighter. Full up running lights would be far safer.
So jogging in the street as opposed to biking would be safer? I like the cut of your jib.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top