Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 06:22 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The WAFF stunt is just going to make me move to another local station for news and weather. I understand the corporate desire for more money, but if they can't get enough from advertisers and want to work to raise my sat. cost even more I'll be on Directv's side. Paying $5 a month for ESPN - which I NEVER watch - is galling enough. Actually, I may end up dropping Directv altogether and just watch live streams of news on the net and pay another dime to Exede for more bandwidth to cover.
Do you have a pkg that doesn't include ESPN? Is that why it's $5 ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 06:49 PM

944 posts, read 1,186,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I don't get a few of the comments... on DirecTV there is still an NBC from the west feed...it's not local but it's still nbc, right? 392 & 393 on the High Def channels. I think the same or nearby on reg.
I'm calling Directv right now to see if we can get access to those NBC channels...they are not automatically included

And, I have an answer - that's a no go, only local channels...Directv had 1500 people in cue waiting to talk to them, having worked at a call center, I don't envy them!

Last edited by Becky2517; 09-02-2014 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: Updated

Old 09-02-2014, 10:42 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
All subscriber packages include ESPN. You can't avoid it. Sports is big enough that ESPN was able make that demand.

If you ask nice, you can get $5 off the bill this month because of the lack of the NBC feed.
Roku has NBC news available, IIRC.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:00 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
If you really need channel 48...... a nice antenna like we have is less than $40 at Lowe's and takes less than 10 minutes to install in the attic. The mohu leaf is a little cheaper than that and mounts about anywhere on a wall inside the home and gets great reception. We have it as a backup in the event that satellite goes out in a big rain storm (like the one during the Bama game Saturday). We just flipped over to ABC and watched the game there.

We also have Roku boxes which work well, but all the feeds are on demand. Very few are real time.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:08 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Mohu works good but I live outside of Hville and I have to place it in a window and point it north. I am able to get other channels on Mohu without being in a window.

I rarely watch NBC but I do like the local news and weather

Old 09-03-2014, 06:29 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Mohu works good but I live outside of Hville and I have to place it in a window and point it north. I am able to get other channels on Mohu without being in a window.

I rarely watch NBC but I do like the local news and weather

You may benefit from one of the antennas I was talking about. They mount using the exact same bracket as a satellite dish and can easily be mounted on the outside of the home as well. We really love ours. I have a long run of cable (around 70ft) so I bought a signal amplifier to put in line with it and we get 12 channels in HD for free.

Raycom will cave in over time because they will realize just how many viewers they lost by not closing a deal with DirecTV. It's just a negotiation tactic. I've seen Dish do this with AMC, Nickelodeon, etc..... They all eventually work it out.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:38 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
All subscriber packages include ESPN. You can't avoid it. Sports is big enough that ESPN was able make that demand.

If you ask nice, you can get $5 off the bill this month because of the lack of the NBC feed.
Roku has NBC news available, IIRC.

That's what I thought. That's why I didn't understand the earlier statement about paying $5.00 for espn.

I still have an nbc feed.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:19 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,263 times
I have a square HD antenna I got from best buy and I get a very strong signal in Meridianville. I just face it south.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:44 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
That's what I thought. That's why I didn't understand the earlier statement about paying $5.00 for espn.

I still have an nbc feed.
Which channel are you getting NBC on?

Old 09-03-2014, 10:11 AM

68 posts, read 115,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
I have a square HD antenna I got from best buy and I get a very strong signal in Meridianville. I just face it south.
Was it easy to install? We were thinking of doing this so that we would have it when the DirecTV went out during storms. Do you know if it is easy to switch back and forth between DirecTV and the antenna? My husband has been talking about gettin a HD antenna for awhile. Maybe this is a good time to finally make the purchase.

I am upset because NBC carries Sunday Night Football games, as well as the season opener this Thursday. Bad timing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area