Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 09:15 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,593,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I know when I'm being patronized. I don't care for labels, or anything of the sort. I took your words at face value without trying to make any summary judgment of who you are or what you stand for.
What's wrong with labels? Why not admit you're a liberal or a progressive? You seem to use some of the same talking points as they do. Or do you think of yourself as an independent? Of course most independents are not really "independent" but usually lean politically one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 11:19 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
What's wrong with labels? Why not admit you're a liberal or a progressive? You seem to use some of the same talking points as they do. Or do you think of yourself as an independent? Of course most independents are not really "independent" but usually lean politically one way or the other.
Thats not entirely accurate either. Fiscally, I'm more conservative. Socially, I'm dead middle. Foreign policy, I'm libertarian.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:37 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,606 times
Yeah, the two party system does not serve me well either.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:12 PM

283 posts, read 375,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
So do you believe that all jobs should be required to provide all of these things?
A better question is why not?

Old 09-10-2014, 05:14 PM

482 posts, read 990,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Thats not entirely accurate either. Fiscally, I'm more conservative. Socially, I'm dead middle. Foreign policy, I'm libertarian.
Yeah, I have to agree here. If AL was a party registration state, I would be a Republican because I agree with more of their principles than I do a Democrat's. When it comes down to it, though, there are quite a few issues that I identify with another side. Everything in this world isn't black and white. I think it's foolish that our 2-party system has turned it in to this.

For example, I'm against a $15 minimum wage. That doesn't mean that I hate poor people and don't want to help them. That means that there are better ways of doing it than making an economically irresponsible decision. I think Obamacare is a terrible piece of legislation. That doesn't mean that people don't deserve access to low/no-cost healthcare of some sort. That means that there were a million better ways of doing it and Congress chose one of the worst options.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:03 PM

482 posts, read 990,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobos23 View Post
In my opinion, its not the easiest job in the world.. so demanding higher salaries is not paranormal
Having worked at McD's myself for a while when I was younger, I can unequivocally say that it was the absolute easiest, brainless job I've ever had in my life.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:49 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Parker View Post
Having worked at McD's myself for a while when I was younger, I can unequivocally say that it was the absolute easiest, brainless job I've ever had in my life.

I second this.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:03 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Williams View Post
A better question is why not?

Why not? Simple. I've repeated this many times. These jobs are designed to be part-time jobs for people starting out in the working world. They are not nor have they ever been jobs meant to be a sole source of income to survive on. The REASON the food is as cheap as it is, is because they don't pay these benefits. These jobs are classified as unskilled labor. You're paying a body to do extremely simple tasks by following simple directions. There's very little thinking and problem solving involved.

Are these jobs unimportant? Not at all and the positions need to be filled. But not by people wanting to make a career out of flipping burgers. If you want to see fast food workers making $30k+ ($31,200 at $15/hr) per year with a 401k plan, 2 weeks vacation, etc.... you can expect to see their prices double or the fastfood places close their doors when consumers (like you and I) refuse to pay $15 for one hamburger meal.

The average school teacher's salary is $36k per year. ($17.30/hr)
The average police officer starts out around $35k per year. ($16.82/hr)
A lot of sales positions start out at $35k per year. ($16.82/hr)
The average construction worker makes $21k/$24k per year ($10-$12/hr).

So you really want unskilled jobs to pay almost as much as skilled jobs and to offer the same benefits? If they do that, where's the motivation for people to try to advance when they can do the same repetitive/lazy job they have been doing for years? That's a lot of what's wrong with our society today. Too many people want a handout without actually earning it. Even sadder is the sense of entitlement.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:32 AM

626 posts, read 754,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Why not? Simple. I've repeated this many times. These jobs are designed to be part-time jobs for people starting out in the working world. They are not nor have they ever been jobs meant to be a sole source of income to survive on. The REASON the food is as cheap as it is, is because they don't pay these benefits. These jobs are classified as unskilled labor. You're paying a body to do extremely simple tasks by following simple directions. There's very little thinking and problem solving involved.

Are these jobs unimportant? Not at all and the positions need to be filled. But not by people wanting to make a career out of flipping burgers. If you want to see fast food workers making $30k+ ($31,200 at $15/hr) per year with a 401k plan, 2 weeks vacation, etc.... you can expect to see their prices double or the fastfood places close their doors when consumers (like you and I) refuse to pay $15 for one hamburger meal.

The average school teacher's salary is $36k per year. ($17.30/hr)
The average police officer starts out around $35k per year. ($16.82/hr)
A lot of sales positions start out at $35k per year. ($16.82/hr)
The average construction worker makes $21k/$24k per year ($10-$12/hr).

So you really want unskilled jobs to pay almost as much as skilled jobs and to offer the same benefits? If they do that, where's the motivation for people to try to advance when they can do the same repetitive/lazy job they have been doing for years? That's a lot of what's wrong with our society today. Too many people want a handout without actually earning it. Even sadder is the sense of entitlement.
Exactly. That is why when they do get their 15/hr, I will be quitting my job so i can stand around at the fry basket making almost as much as a teacher.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:52 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,593,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
Yeah, the two party system does not serve me well either.
I didn't mean to imply Republican or Democrat. I also should not have implied that ones beliefs could fit a simple label. However we all to one extent or another lean one way or another in principles. Even NoleFanHSV you showed that.

I was a Democrat for over 40 years until I became disillusioned by them. The final nail in coffin was when Democrats turned to character assassination instead of civil discussion. This started on a national level and in the last few years moved to a local level. This was apparent when I had to stop talking politics with liberal friends because I got tired of the personal attacks just because I disagreed with them.

Now I consider myself an economic conservative and foreign policy wise I believe that the United States should be a strong leader in the world. Socially I am a bit mixed because I am an atheist but believe in conservative values.

Politically I have to side more with Republicans because on a national level I am more aligned with their way of thinking. That doesn't mean I agree with everything they say. The Democrats are a lost cause for siding with them because they are determined to push social justice. They do this even though it threatens to destroy our culture and economy in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area