Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 01:10 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,056,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
At 3000 seats, it certainly won't serve as a venue for spectator events.
It definitely will. Especially for a town of our size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 01:39 PM

111 posts, read 224,717 times
Would love to see it have indoor track/field equipment. It doesn't necessarily have to hold t&f events like the crossplex in Birmingham but it would be nice for these kids to have an indoor location to train and hey if they held events there they could make some $$ too

Old 01-05-2015, 02:02 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
That's not enough seating capacity for elementary/high school sporting events, unless they plan on playing soccer and basketball in the same arena.

Like I said, if it's funded privately I'm all for it - I just don't want to toss my money down that drain.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:45 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
Not close to big enough. For reference, the Huntsville Havoc has sell out crowds at times in the VBC arena and it holds 6216. Think about that for a minute, a minor league hockey team in the Southeastern US....in Alabama no less, sells out 6216 seats. Big music acts do not come to Huntsville very often because our arena is not large enough to give them the guaranteed payout they require.

Of course, I don't see soccer or lacrosse coming close to that but I question why someone would build an arena half the capacity of the one we already have that is already too small. I guess maybe they are going after a completely different market but I don't see how they will gross enough to cover the value of that property.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:15 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,578,001 times
it is not meant to replace the VBC
What will have a bigger impact is the new Natatorium

Old 01-05-2015, 09:45 PM

169 posts, read 206,152 times
Quote:
Like I said, if it's funded privately I'm all for it - I just don't want to toss my money down that drain.
I guess it comes down to whether it provides a good value in terms of improving the quality of life in Huntsville, per taxpayer dollar spent. An easy one to calculate, eh?

I mean, if we want to avoid tossing money down the drain (literally), let's kill the new Natatorium ($20M). I'm sure it won't be a profit center for the city, either. But people will point to it when saying Huntsville's got some great recreation facilities. And maybe we'll get some new employees and job creators moving to Huntsville partly because they'll have a nice place to go swimming here, and more college grads will stay in town, and so on. At least that's how I hear it's supposed to work.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:13 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,012 times
Quote:
At 3000 seats, it certainly won't serve as a venue for spectator events.
Well, it's not a 3000 seat waiting room.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:10 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,056,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Not close to big enough. For reference, the Huntsville Havoc has sell out crowds at times in the VBC arena and it holds 6216. Think about that for a minute, a minor league hockey team in the Southeastern US....in Alabama no less, sells out 6216 seats. Big music acts do not come to Huntsville very often because our arena is not large enough to give them the guaranteed payout they require.

Of course, I don't see soccer or lacrosse coming close to that but I question why someone would build an arena half the capacity of the one we already have that is already too small. I guess maybe they are going after a completely different market but I don't see how they will gross enough to cover the value of that property.
I think you are misunderstanding what this is for. This is not for professional sports.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:21 AM

301 posts, read 333,677 times
Its is to service the community by providing a venue for a whole assortment of events. Its going after a completely different market. Ive heard from tons of people that this will draw folks from around the region for competitions. Lacrosse and indoor soccer are major draws for families, which is something that Huntsville has in adundance. An indoor flag football and basketball league would also cater to both federal organizations and contractors, providing a way for them to compete on the field, including a sportsbar for after game socializing. There are crossfit gyms popping up all over town, this place will provide a venue for competitions between gyms. Recently grappling competitions like NAGA and Goodfight have eyed Huntsville as a potential spot for competitions as well.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:19 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justacoolguy View Post
...Its going after a completely different market. Ive heard from tons of people that this will draw folks from around the region for competitions. Lacrosse and indoor soccer are major draws for families, which is something that Huntsville has in adundance...
If it's that good of an idea there shouldn't be any problem getting it funded as a private venture . I think it's just another boondoggle that will have to be funded with taxpayer money and operate at a loss .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area