Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 07:44 AM

301 posts, read 331,200 times

Advertisements

Well this sucks. Hampton Cove is the nicest part of town where you dont see homeless people or worry at all about crime. This is going to change big time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 09:10 AM

5 posts, read 9,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FayettevilletoHuntsville View Post
It's hard for them to get a job when they have no address and no phone number, many homeless are also disabled or mentally ill (granted some are also drug addicts).

No, no its not. What IS hard for them is to stop collecting those taxpayer funds and get off their behinds to do something. And I'm sorry, but abusing drugs is not an excuse. That's a choice they have made to live their life in that manner. For those with a true mental illness, they can be cared for by the state in appropriate facilities, if their mental illness completely inhibits them from being able to care for themselves.

Quote:
And actually, if a homeless person asked me for a ride to the unemployment office I would be glad to take them there
I'm sure you would.

Quote:
if my vehicle got carjacked I have insurance).
Nevermind. Like others have said, way to stereotype people you probably know nothing about in reality.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:36 PM

442 posts, read 642,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinesdontdie View Post
And I'm sorry, but abusing drugs is not an excuse. That's a choice they have made to live their life in that manner. For those with a true mental illness, they can be cared for by the state in appropriate facilities, if their mental illness completely inhibits them from being able to care for themselves.
I never said it was an excuse, I stated: "many homeless are also disabled or mentally ill (granted some are also drug addicts). - "granted" meaning that it is not an excuse. I agree with you, abusing drugs is a choice they have made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FayettevilletoHuntsville if my vehicle got carjacked I have insurance).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinesdontdie View Post
Nevermind. Like others have said, way to stereotype people you probably know nothing about in reality.
That was sarcasm as I was quoting dijkstra who made it pretty clear he feels they are all bums and has no compassion for them. He didn't say they were criminals but people that steal vehicles do tend to be bums (and if they are stealing a vehicle that of course that would be a crime).

Last edited by FayettevilletoHuntsville; 01-22-2015 at 02:47 PM..

Old 01-22-2015, 07:45 PM

493 posts, read 704,647 times
Quote:
If they want to build it then please let them build it without worrying about it, chances are not much could be done to stop them anyway. Not everyone can afford a luxury home in Hampton Cove and this is not in the actual Hampton Cove subdivision anyway.
It can have an impact on adjacent neighborhoods though...

Old 01-22-2015, 07:48 PM

493 posts, read 704,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justacoolguy View Post
Well this sucks. Hampton Cove is the nicest part of town where you dont see homeless people or worry at all about crime. This is going to change big time.
I don't think you will see any homeless people in Hampton Cove because of this. This is low income income housing being built so these people will be in homes, just low income homes. I am sure the Huntsville Housing Authority will have the grounds and exterior kept up well but there could possibly be some crime around there.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needtosellmyhome View Post
I am sure the Huntsville Housing Authority will have the grounds and exterior kept up well
That's what I assume too, the ones under I-565 and along Hwy 72 that raj kapoor mentioned may not be pretty but they stay maintained, the grass is always cut, the bushes are always trimmed and the trash is always picked up (by the housing authority). Those buildings are quite old (Raj said they go back to the 60's) and since this apartment complex will be new it probably won't be that ugly.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
shelters are set up to HELP people find jobs, get into drug addiction programs, etc.
The Downtown Rescue Mission is the one I donate to the most (monetary donations and thrift store donations) and they do all of the above that I quoted you on so I am aware they are out there. I also completely read all of the newsletters that the Downtown Rescue Mission sends me in the mail.

They have been past full bed capacity many times (their facilities are not always large enough to accommodate everyone that comes to them).

Here are some statistics for one day last October (2014) per their latest newsletter:

Staying at Mission:
  • Men - 135
  • Women - 76
  • Children - 32
  • TOTAL - 243
Breakdowns:
  • Racial - Caucasian: 62% ; African American: 33%
  • Gender - 33% are women; 15% are children (48% women and children); 52% men
  • Mental Health - 18%
  • Veterans - 12%
  • Violence - 15% of clients suffered personal physical violence prior to coming to the mission
Shelter Stats:
  • 1) 53 women and children represent 106% of bed capacity
  • 2) We have had to turn away 2 families during our overcapacity in women's and children's unit.
  • 3) 243 at mission represent 16% per year increase over the past 2 years
  • 4) 33 women in overnight shelter are 94% of capacity; many nights we are at 110% of capacity.
  • 5) 52% of the adults are under 45 years of age and 57% are first time homeless.
Statistics for the month of October 2014:
  • Meals Served - 26,770
  • Lodging - 7,587
  • Food boxes - 300
  • Spiritual Decisions - 3
  • Into Permanent Housing - 22
These statistics are only for the Downtown Rescue Mission. I don't know the statistics for the others although I have donated to the Salvation Army. The Salvation Army and the Downtown Rescue Mission now both have thrift stores in Madison and shopping at those thrift stores helps them financially too. The Salvation Army opened theirs at: 385 Hughes Road in Madison last year and the Downtown Rescue Mission opened theirs at: 8006 Old Madison Pike, Suite 10 in Madison maybe two years ago. And they both have larger stores in Huntsville and smaller stores elsewhere.

The 3 largest Huntsville shelters are: The Downtown Rescue Mission, The Salvation Army and The Breaking Free Rescue Mission. I should find the statistics for all of them but might not be able to. I know that still doesn't mean there aren't some that are still taking advantage of the system.

Last edited by FayettevilletoHuntsville; 01-23-2015 at 12:41 AM..

Old 01-23-2015, 01:02 AM

Quote:
DJ's point that you completely missed is that those services are intended to be TEMPORARY, yet many "milk" the system for years because its easier for some to suck the teet of the government than to actually go out and be productive and better themselves....which is why welfare numbers are absolutely thru the roof right now. Welfare was once intended to be a "hand up"....now it is a long term "hand out".
Didn't completely miss it, just didn't bring it up since DJ completely lumped all of them into this category that I have quoted you on above and quoted him on below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra
I would suggest giving them a ride to the employment office to get a job. If you continue to enable, they will continue to sponge off society. There are third and fourth generations living in the housing projects for crying out loud. There should be about a 2 year time limit to live in these things to get your life in order and get a job.
For DJ's philosophy to work there also has to be as many minimum wage jobs available in the area as there are homeless (or as many minimum wage jobs available to the homeless that are willing to work, right)? Are there that many jobs available in Huntsville right now? I have no idea, maybe someone else here does. It can also be hard to get by on just minimum wage and there are some homeless out there that have minimum wage jobs that don't support everything they need especially if they have children and in other parts of the country where housing costs are higher.

And remember what you posted just last November on the other thread that Macwell started years ago?

Quote:
While there will always be people who "milk" the system, there are many others that have a true need and are honest, hardworking people who just need some help. We actually sold a house last year that had a tenant that was a "low income" senior and she was a lovely, sweet lady who was just doing what she could at her age to stay afloat. Hardly a drug dealing grandma.
I totally agree with you on that post and that is why I am in favor of this apartment complex going ahead and being built. That thread is also the reason I assumed Hampton Cove residents were "worried".

http://www.city-data.com/forum/hunts...apartment.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by macwell
Does anyone have any thoughts how this will affect the Hampton Cove / Grissom area resale values now?
While some are sitting around wondering if it will affect their property value there are others struggling to get by.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:12 PM

3,455 posts, read 4,782,342 times
Quote:
Didn't completely miss it, just didn't bring it up since DJ completely lumped all of them into this category that I have quoted you on above and quoted him on below:

For DJ's philosophy to work there also has to be as many minimum wage jobs available in the area as there are homeless (or as many minimum wage jobs available to the homeless that are willing to work, right)? Are there that many jobs available in Huntsville right now? I have no idea, maybe someone else here does. It can also be hard to get by on just minimum wage and there are some homeless out there that have minimum wage jobs that don't support everything they need especially if they have children and in other parts of the country where housing costs are higher.

And remember what you posted just last November on the other thread that Macwell started years ago?

I totally agree with you on that post and that is why I am in favor of this apartment complex going ahead and being built. That thread is also the reason I assumed Hampton Cove residents were "worried".

http://www.city-data.com/forum/hunts...apartment.html

While some are sitting around wondering if it will affect their property value there are others struggling to get by.

Okay, since you keep quoting and pointing back to my post, I will make another comment although I intended to be done with this thread.

Your assertion in another previous post that I have no compassion for these people is somewhat accurate. I really just have very little and only in certain circumstances. That would be when some actually truly has a disability or troubling even in their life that puts them in a position where they cannot provide for themselves. Furthermore, out of those, there is a very small percentage that would be considered a true permanent disability that prevents them from working in some capacity and contributing to society.

There are plenty of low skilled jobs out there. Many of the service, construction and restaurant jobs fit this description and have high turn over rates so it is extremely easy to get a job. It might not be the greatest job but it is a start and would get you off of government assistance. If I needed a job to get by, I could go out and find 5 tomorrow without much effort so the "There aren't any jobs for them bit doesn't cut it for me."

My biggest beef with these housing projects and entitlement programs is the deadbeats that ride them forever. Even worse, there are multiple generations of the same family living in one unit or in the same complex. You can't tell me that the Grandmother, the mother, the son, the aunt and uncle are all disabled to the point they have had to live in these things for years. They are meant to be temporary and if it were up to me, they would be out after a couple of years unless they were truly disabled and unable to work. If we were to stop enabling and take it away, you would be surprised how quickly they would start providing for themselves.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:13 PM

25 posts, read 41,311 times
Reality recap

Huntsville Housing Authority focus is deconcentration within the City of Huntsville.

These groups and/or agencies all seem working toward the common goal deconcentration of South Huntsville and Hampton Cove areas.

Aspire same change for Hampton Cove as pushed off to South Huntsville from the projects to low income deconcentration movements into these areas.

School rezoning will take on another form of deconcentrationn of the Blossomwood and Jones Valley areas. Not to mention possible other South Huntsville and Hampton Cove neighborhood schools (wait see for final decision.).

History and experience proven, what is next
House property values decrease
Crime increases
Foot traffic increase
Entire neighborhood and shopping transformation

Distressing
Tax payers in these areas should already been watchful and aware of any type of movement by these groups and/or agencies to build or purchase for such activities.

This should be reported by everyone.

Where are your city and council representatives for these areas?

The Hampton Cove low income apartments did not happen over night, where are these representatives?

Who is watching over your area?

Who is reporting over your area?

Last edited by bbcobs; 01-23-2015 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area