Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 07:26 AM

5 posts, read 7,311 times

Advertisements

The projects are like a cancer in the city/community, spreading it around won't make it better. These people won't become better citizens by osmosis!!!This is a DISGRACE to Owens Cross Roads/Hampton Cove as a whole not just the most affected subdivision.

We better stick together and start a neighborhood watch system, add securityto our homes and most important, petition for more police patrols. WE WILL NEED IT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 07:32 AM

5 posts, read 7,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FayettevilletoHuntsville View Post
I don;t care how much they sugar coat this, nobody wants a section 8 apartment complex in your backyard. You will have to look at them all the time because it is a freaking 3 story building facing our backyards. Note that in the whole area, there are no other 3 story buildings.

We could deal with it, if it was a senior living facility.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:38 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Don't build. Let the residents go elsewhere.
Again, thats not going to happen. Lets wave a magic wand. Thats the solution?

1. Much of the current public housing is around downtown, Govenors/Seminole, and University. The city (ie Mayor and Elected officials) want to eventually move some of these sites to "better" Huntsville's downtown area. These are elected officials. The need is also growing as the city grows.

2. There is some public housing on the south end of town in and around nicer neighborhoods. Those kids eventually go to Grissom. Same H.S. that Hampton cove students go to.

3. The Federal Government (ie HUD) gets gives money to setup and maintain public housing. In many cases, other monies are contingent upon a city/municipalities public housing.

4. There are people who truly need public housing. I went to H.S. with a friend who lived in public housing with a single mom barely making ends meat. He and his family moved past that and are doing well financially now. Some people need that stepping stone.

5. At the end of the day, the elected officials are looking out for the city as a whole, good or bad, not just a group of residents worried about their property value.

6. Waving a wand doesn't work. If this is that important to you, run for for office. Setup protests and rallies. Setup protests when the same elected officials run again who made the choices you don't like. The problem won't go away. Just saying "Don't build" isn't a real solution if elected officials already have plans

Old 02-11-2015, 08:22 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Hampton Cove kids go to Huntsville High, not Grissom.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:12 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryneighbor View Post
There are no jobs in this area, also no public transportation. Why are you going to allocate such low income, housing assistance, Section 8, strugling to get by families in an apartment complex so far away from town and major employers???
As I stated I do not know about your area at all. I am just wondering. I checked on apartments in the area and $475 a month is low if you ask me. Maybe not for your area. It just seems that it is possible to make it in the area even on a low income. I don't understand government assistance, especially in a nation as blessed as ours. So many other ways to make money then working for someone else. All I am looking for is an education on why the need for public housing when housing is so low now?

Old 02-11-2015, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,364 times
Default Facts Behind The Interview

Mr. Carter is in the same office and rents space from Pearson Homes. The land for the project is owned by Collins Pearson so Mr. Carter will be complimentary of the project.
[url]http://probate.madisoncountyal.gov/LoadImage.aspx?sk=20150203000059170&format=PDF&ref =6b3f3765-1e95-4605-b74e-7e8de7ca1436[/url]

It is interesting to note that Mr. Pearson has homes for sale just around the corner through Mungo Homes and realistically this will have an effect on home sales. The phrase "shooting yourself in the foot" comes to mind. Also, the apartment building goes along with the school board's consent order that requires more diversity in the Hampton Cove schools to reach the minimum 15% quota of black students.
[url=http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2015/01/huntsville_vs_the_doj_who_won.html]The plan to desegregate Huntsville schools: Who won, who lost, and what's in the fine print | AL.com[/url]

As far as values, you can't hardly give the homes/condos away that are in south Huntsville next to the HHA apartment complex. A friend who lives in that area talks about tenants strolling through everyone's yards at all hours of the day and night, things going missing, a lot of looks and stares from people just hanging out in the area. It's nothing that anyone can be arrested for, just general slumming and, these things will turn away prospective home buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FayettevilletoHuntsville View Post
WAAY31 posted this article on their site today:

[url=http://www.waaytv.com/appnews/what-you-should-know-about-the-new-apartments-coming-to/article_8afea576-b172-11e4-8964-b759e7d48682.html]What you should know about the new apartments coming to Hampton Cove - Huntsville News | WAAYTV.com and ABC 31: Appnews[/url]

Old 02-11-2015, 11:05 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Hampton Cove kids go to Huntsville High, not Grissom.
Ok. My mistake. Its not like the culture of Hampton Cove is exactly the same as it is for the rest of the kids going to HH. Same goes for Grissom. I don't see why this is an issue.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:55 PM

8,043 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryneighbor View Post
The projects are like a cancer in the city/community, spreading it around won't make it better. These people won't become better citizens by osmosis!!!This is a DISGRACE to Owens Cross Roads/Hampton Cove as a whole not just the most affected subdivision.

We better stick together and start a neighborhood watch system, add securityto our homes and most important, petition for more police patrols. WE WILL NEED IT!
Most people become good and productive citizens by examples that are set for them by their peers, immediate family, and culture-at-large, that they emmulate and follow, and therein lies the problem. Productive people are compelled to be self-sufficient and produce, takers remain takers. There are exceptions to every rule, but almost 55 years of life experience has shown me otherwise. Every low income development we have had in our community has started out well and full of promise, and then rotted to the core because of the type of character of the people that inhabits them. We have had nice playgrounds in these housing complexes that were meant for the children's enjoyment, that they had to remove due to vandalism and drug paraphernalia. The developers get out of town once the places are complete, and the council members that push them through pocket the developers slush money, and as I said, never have to live within any real distance of the places. Good luck.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:40 PM

442 posts, read 647,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
4. There are people who truly need public housing. I went to H.S. with a friend who lived in public housing with a single mom barely making ends meat. He and his family moved past that and are doing well financially now. Some people need that stepping stone.
This was my mode of thought when I posted my first post on this thread. I as well know a family that was in public housing that climbed out of it and they now own a home. But I feel bad now for the Hampton Cove homeowners that are going to have this apartment building in their backyard. When I first read about this low income apartment complex coming to Hampton Cove I assumed it would be in the Hampton Cove "area" and not butted up to the backyards of the homes. But it's privately owned land, I'm sure there's no way to stop it now and it's going to start construction in less than a month.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:26 AM

169 posts, read 206,195 times
On the bright side for the homeowners, the housing project should help block road noise from highway 431.

As others have said, never buy a home adjacent to undeveloped property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area