Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2015, 11:49 PM

442 posts, read 647,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The jury that couldn't reach a verdict in the criminal trial of police officer Eric Parker was split 10-2 along gender lines, according to one of the holdout jurors.

Ten men wanted to acquit the officer who slammed down a 57-year-old Indian citizen during a sidewalk stop, leaving the man partly paralyzed.

The two women on the jury thought Parker was guilty of the federal civil rights charge, deprivation of rights under the color of law. The charge carries a sentence of up to 10 years in prison.

When contacted by al.com, one of those two women explained the two-day deliberation that ended in frustration for both sides. "I was the one saying he was guilty," said the juror, who asked to withhold her name.
Read more at: Deadlocked jury favored acquittal for officer who slammed down Indian grandfather | AL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 11:52 PM

442 posts, read 647,416 times
Default Madison residents aren't turning on police, City Hall after Indian grandfather trial

Quote:
The federal trial of a Madison police officer for throwing an Indian grandfather to the ground during a street stop hasn't affected the way residents feel about their government or police, Madison's City Council president believes.

"I don't think so," Council President Tommy Overcash said Monday. "The average citizen, we're very diverse, educated (and) people come and go from all walks of life. It's not like it's systemic of an issue in our community."

Madison is a mostly residential city of 46,000 on Huntsville's western border. It has a median household income of $96,000, according to the U.S. Census, and 10 percent of households speak a language other than English at home. Residents largely work for Huntsville's high tech sector.
Read more at: Official: Madison residents aren't turning on police, City Hall after Indian grandfather trial | AL.com

Old 09-16-2015, 04:41 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatSnake View Post
The court records did show - and both sides did agree - that he was patted down ----prior to being slammed to the ground.

The court records also showed that Mr Parker called dispatch --- after the fact - using the word 'stack' for probably cause. He was looking for a way to justify - after the fact - what he did.

OK - weaverra ... er - Mr. Parker Sr - your son has watched one too many WWE shows.
I see. I just stated that again because the Expert said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post
Really. I've seen the whole video and so no such evidence to support that claim.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:32 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Again, the prosecution in this case (this was the FEDERAL case) had to prove that Eric Parker INTENDED to harm Mr. Patel and that he took such actions because of Mr. Patel's race, color, religion, etc. They have to prove BOTH of those events took place. The federal charges were under deprivation of color of law. That is a VERY high burden to prove and I'm not surprised that a jury was deadlocked. Its very easy to cast doubt on that, and to be honest there was nothing in that video nor any subsequent actions that I saw that lead me to think that is how he acted.

This jury did not say Parker was innocent nor did they justify his actions in any way. They simply did not agree that he intentionally harmed Mr. Patel and that his actions were racially motivated.

Yes, his actions DID cause harm to Mr. Patel, but that does not mean that he INTENDED to harm him. Just because the 911 caller identified Mr. Patel as black does not mean Eric Parker's actions were racially motivated.

This case has very little to do with whether Eric Parker acted in a manner that was out of line and inappropriate, which is what everyone seems to be arguing about regarding this outcome. Once his local trial comes up, you will probably see him charged and convicted of those assault charges. They are more clear cut. The feds IMO need to drop these charges because its highly unlikely they will win it.

The one good thing is that Eric Parker will more than likely NEVER wear a police badge again. This will follow him for the rest of his life. That's what happens when you violate the public trust in the manner that he did.

He's due in court today on the assault charges.
http://www.waaytv.com/appnews/former...c61de2df1.html

Last edited by LCTMadison; 09-16-2015 at 06:52 AM..

Old 09-16-2015, 07:44 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,301,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Again, the prosecution in this case (this was the FEDERAL case) had to prove that Eric Parker INTENDED to harm Mr. Patel and that he took such actions because of Mr. Patel's race, color, religion, etc. They have to prove BOTH of those events took place. The federal charges were under deprivation of color of law. That is a VERY high burden to prove and I'm not surprised that a jury was deadlocked. Its very easy to cast doubt on that, and to be honest there was nothing in that video nor any subsequent actions that I saw that lead me to think that is how he acted.

This jury did not say Parker was innocent nor did they justify his actions in any way. They simply did not agree that he intentionally harmed Mr. Patel and that his actions were racially motivated.

Yes, his actions DID cause harm to Mr. Patel, but that does not mean that he INTENDED to harm him. Just because the 911 caller identified Mr. Patel as black does not mean Eric Parker's actions were racially motivated.

This case has very little to do with whether Eric Parker acted in a manner that was out of line and inappropriate, which is what everyone seems to be arguing about regarding this outcome. Once his local trial comes up, you will probably see him charged and convicted of those assault charges. They are more clear cut. The feds IMO need to drop these charges because its highly unlikely they will win it.

The one good thing is that Eric Parker will more than likely NEVER wear a police badge again. This will follow him for the rest of his life. That's what happens when you violate the public trust in the manner that he did.

He's due in court today on the assault charges.
Former Madison officer due in court Wednesday for assault charge | Appnews | waaytv.com
Absolutely!!! Thank you for posting this to help clarify.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:44 AM

776 posts, read 745,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremadisonresident View Post
Except Mr. Patel wasn't breaking any laws
He wasn't?

8 U.S. Code § 1304 - Forms for registration and fingerprinting

(e) Personal possession of registration or receipt card; penalties

Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d) of this section. Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:17 AM

468 posts, read 907,336 times
Quote:
He wasn't?

Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d) of this section. Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.
And subject to body slamming regardless of age, weight, health or body size (after being patted down) - even if not deemed as threat or not.

Calls to dispatch to stack the case prior to body slamming are optional.
Calls to dispatch to stack the case after the body slamming are required.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:26 PM

38 posts, read 41,112 times
Quote:
He wasn't?

Whatever. I still don't think that justifies being slammed to the ground so hard it results in paralysis. As I stated yesterday they could have "detained" him, handcuffed him and placed him in the back of a police car until it got cleared up. At least then he wouldn't have been paralyzed.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:50 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
When will ya'll learn to just hit the ignore button????? Or just give him this...

Old 09-16-2015, 03:33 PM

944 posts, read 1,186,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
When will ya'll learn to just hit the ignore button????? Or just give him this...

I do need to figure out how I can carry my "green card" on me at all times, sleeping, eating, walking, like swimming etc. Or?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area