Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 07:10 PM

18 posts, read 23,906 times

Advertisements

ten years ago Madison Square was THE mall to go to. I think it could come back with some serious reinvestment. Other opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 07:55 PM

445 posts, read 769,998 times
IMO, no. It needs to be bulldozed and redeveloped as mixed use.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:03 PM

2,990 posts, read 3,567,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP79 View Post
IMO, no. It needs to be bulldozed and redeveloped as mixed use.
agreed with an urban forest/park focus..streams waterfalls, heavily landscaped, with several high rises, couple hotels, parking deck to remove the sea of asphalt, improves access from University west bound via a flyover. Design for the pedestrians, restaurants with outdoor seating

Old 02-17-2015, 05:25 AM

614 posts, read 765,484 times
20 years ago, the 70's generation was having kids and we all went to MSM with our strollers and pushed our babies around. It was THE thing to do. Now it is a sad place to visit.

But...(always a butt)
Deep down I am an optimist and I hope the mall culture will return. I'm hoping it is on a cycle, they are up, they are down, back and forth. As cool as Bridgestreet is, it isn't that fun in the rain, hot, freezing, or other extreme weather. Give me a covered mall any day.

And finally, I will go where ever the man stores are: JC Penny and Sears.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:08 AM

46,260 posts, read 27,061,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
20 years ago, the 70's generation was having kids and we all went to MSM with our strollers and pushed our babies around. It was THE thing to do. Now it is a sad place to visit.

But...(always a butt)
Deep down I am an optimist and I hope the mall culture will return. I'm hoping it is on a cycle, they are up, they are down, back and forth. As cool as Bridgestreet is, it isn't that fun in the rain, hot, freezing, or other extreme weather. Give me a covered mall any day.

And finally, I will go where ever the man stores are: JC Penny and Sears.
There were many butts there Saturday, hanging out for all to see...

Old 02-17-2015, 08:08 AM

82 posts, read 140,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistoG View Post
ten years ago Madison Square was THE mall to go to. I think it could come back with some serious reinvestment. Other opinions?
MSM was THE mall to go to when it was the only mall to go to. Parkway Place & Bridge Street came along and MSM never adjusted to the competition.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:34 AM

295 posts, read 442,003 times
Back in the late 80's when MSM was in it's heyday, it still faltered in sales compared to what was then Parkway City Mall. I worked in management at Parisian during that timeframe. While MSM had the crowds, a huge number of people were window shopping and hanging out. The Parkway City location beat the MSM location pretty much every month. We'd have great crowds and some sales at MSM, but early in the week we'd get a lot of requests to send items to PCM for customers to purchase there. Other stores might have had different results, of course, but I thought it was interesting at the time. It seemed that MSM was a social destination more than a shopping destination, especially for people who lived closer PCM.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:45 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,750,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhsv View Post
MSM was THE mall to go to when it was the only mall to go to. Parkway Place & Bridge Street came along and MSM never adjusted to the competition.
True, but Parkway City Mall and "The Mall" were there before MSM.

It ain't coming back. And it looks like CBL is going to try to shove all the leaseholders out the door by not having decent A/C in the summer (or heat in the winter) not having decent security and just not trying to improve anything about the place. They are holding out for Huntsville to open up the coffers and bestow them with welfare to redevelop or improve the property. The city has chosen its horse to back in Bridgestreet and until that changes, CBL is going to focus on Parkway Place and leave MSM to rot.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:37 AM

18 posts, read 23,906 times
CBL is garbage, I am starting to think.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,525 times
MSM is done. once it became the "place to hang" families took their business elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area