Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 6,097 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Toney (about 20 miles north of Huntsville) all of my life and have worked in Huntsville for the last 20 years in Research Park. I know Huntsville very well and my advice to you is to stay out of the North part of the city. It is a very high crime area that I can highly relate to because my husband has a business in that area that has been broken into repeatedly, and so has many of the businesses that are right next door to him. I know crime can happen anywhere but this part of the city is definitely the worst. I would not even be in this area after dark. I myself have been approached by muggers in the broad daylight while I was in the parking lot of shopping centers.
If you want to live in Huntsville, the SE and part of the SW are the better areas. I would highy reccomend Madison, Monrovia, Hampton Cove, Toney, and Harvest. These areas are very near and much safer to live and shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2006, 06:45 PM

51 posts, read 312,190 times
Default I just wanted to say Thanks

I wanted to say thanks for all the input. Lookd likr it id SE or the suberbs of Huntsville. Thisinput is a great help for a newcomer coming to the area.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:27 PM

232 posts, read 990,426 times
I see more crime in the news (prostitution/drugs) in the areas along Triana. Still, nalabama is right, it can happen anywhere like nthe recent stabbing in the mall parking lot at Huntsville version of a 'galleria', Park Place Mall.

Will you rent or buy?

Old 03-03-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Is this a good or bad area

Is this a good or bad area of Huntsville? Are these good or bad schools?
HUNTSVILLE, AL Zip Code 35811
# Area: MAD CO NE
# Subdivision: WINCHESTER ESTATES
# Elementary School: MT CARMEL ELEMENTARY
# Middle School: RIVERTON
# High School: BUCKHORN

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Old 03-03-2007, 04:27 PM

1,547 posts, read 2,766,640 times
I'd guess good, based on the location east of Moores Mill Road. There is apparently a quite active neighborhood association. The schools should be (at the very least) okay. Mount Carmel is relatively new, having been constructed in the last ten years or so. Riverton and Buckhorn are older stable schools.

Old 03-03-2007, 04:34 PM

66 posts, read 215,043 times
Northeast Madison County is a great place to live. You can get to downtown in 10 minutes (Research Park in 15-20), and still have a large yard. Traffic is just about as bad as anywhere else in the Huntsville area, and Winchester Road has quite a few deadly accidents. Crime is low. Retail is lacking compared to other suburban areas around Huntsville- there's a Publix, a Kroger, a few dollar stores, but no Wal-Mart (at least not yet).

As for the schools, Mount Carmel Elementary and Riverton Middle are good schools; Buckhorn High is a little too "country" for me, but that will change in the next few years with the housing explosion out there.

Old 03-03-2007, 04:50 PM

Question Too Country

I thought "too country" was sorta like being too good looking or having too much money. What, you don't like Tractor Day?

Old 03-04-2007, 10:15 PM

232 posts, read 990,426 times
I'm a realtor and live in 35811. Property values have risen nearly 35% in the last 4 years. 10 minutes to town is little optimistic, though. Traffic (a relative thing depending on where you'd be moving from) is slowed by at least two traffic lights but it's still 20-25 minutes to downtown after I drop my daughter at Central School at 7:35.

Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Marka; 03-05-2007 at 04:35 AM..

Old 05-04-2007, 10:25 AM

Default Where are those bad parts of town

Where are those bad parts of town? Is it one section or more than one section. WHere is that bad section (s).

Old 05-04-2007, 11:47 AM

sammac, I believe we addressed this same subject for you on a previous thread? The areas haven't changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area